Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
looking for your thoughts on somthing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magz
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: looking for your thoughts on somthing Reply with quote

Kiera only ever barks when the front door goes or when she wants out the back for a pee but recently there has been some rowdy teenagers hanging about at night into the early hours and she has started to give a few warning barks, she settles as soon as myself or hubby go to investigate and tell her to be quiet. but last night we had my nephew chapping the door in the early hours of the morning due to forgetting his keys and because it was me who answered the door without letting her join me she went off her head barking, I am sure it is a protective instinct with her as obviously it was the middle of the night and we had all been sleeping. My dilemma is whether should I let her do this in future or discourage her. To be honest this kind of thing is a very rare occurrence but just unsure whether or not I am encouraging fearful behavior or not? anyone any thoughts?
marcella

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't sound fearful to me Margaret. To be honest I'm happy to let the boys bark if they hear something during the night/early hours. If they bark it gives me cause for concern........ I want to know what they are barking at. If there is anyone outside and they hear the dogs bark, they'll have second thoughts about breaking in here, my two burglar alarms with big jaws and teeth do the job! Wink

It sounds to me like she's only protecting her property. If it's a very rare occurrence I wouldn't be concerned about discouraging her.
Magz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers marcella has put my mind at rest, just wondered if I have been doing the right thing on this. If only I could train my nephew to take his house keys when going on a drunken night out, lucky he only lives next door think i shall send the kids to go wake him up Wink
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tara and Mylo do this at the door and if they here any strange noises, I thought I should discourage it but then thought it was good they where protecting the house... Makes me feel safe Very Happy
Emma*

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very rare any of mine bark. They growl more than anything, especially when people come in the house.
It is usually Lady who does it but i mostly ignore her. She has started to get protective in her crate if somebody comes in. Confused
pauld

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines do the the same, they bark when they hear a noise that is out of character for the street especially Eco if she even see's someone that doesn't belong in the street she'll bark just to give them a little warning that she is watching them which all my neighbors think is great because the feel that the dogs are not only looking after my house but also their houses as well.
Janice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Margaret, I'd just be glad she barked. At least it warns you if someone's there.
I've never had a dog that barked at sensible things. Paddy barked at light beams and house martins, Sam barked at footballs and Dale doesn't really bark. I thought about trying to teach dale to bark but I'm scared I wouldn't be able to stop him again.
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda never ever ever barks to the point i thought there was something wrong with her voice . However, if she sees something out of the normal at our back garden, she goes bananas. Barking jumping. I like that she does this as it warns intruders beware. I defiantly feel safer if i am in on my own. I would discourage my dog.
Magz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least i know she is being normal and that most other folks dogs do it, Think I have spent to long around deaf dogs or dogs that couldn't careless, one of our last dogs Benji was sleeping in the hall beside my dads golf clubs when someone stole them, I think he even helped them carry them out Rolling Eyes
Lorna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is perfectly normal. If there is a strange person around or odd noises, Basil barks until John or I say,'Thank you!' Then he knows we are on the case and he stops.
Elizabeth
Chatty Junior Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two do that if they hear people walking past at night, although Cara doesn't 'woof' she 'boofs' Laughing
My two rabbits were stolen out the garden a few years back, hutches, food, hay, the lot and Cara never made a noise! Crying or Very sad
jackdeb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our 2 bark and go quite mad when they here strange noises or some one at neighbors esp at night! We check it out and then settle them down it's reassuring esp if jack's away Laughing
Emma*

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorna wrote:
She is perfectly normal. If there is a strange person around or odd noises, Basil barks until John or I say,'Thank you!' Then he knows we are on the case and he stops.

He he that's what i do Lorna...say thank you girls Very Happy
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hektor barks at ANY out of the ordinary noise, and was barking at Scooby Doo on the TV yesterday! Its taken a bit of getting used to because Ollie has never been a barker, only if someone was passing the back gate.

I like that he barks, makes me feel safer, I think anyone would think twice about coming into our house uninvited! (Will need to try the "Thank you"! Very Happy )
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma* wrote:
Lorna wrote:

He he that's what i do Lorna...say thank you girls Very Happy

That's what I say too, good boy and good girl then say Thank You.... Very Happy My pair actually scared someone off out of our garden the other night Shocked so it is good to let them bark if something strange is going on. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: