Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
RAW diet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: RAW diet Reply with quote

I know this has been discussed before and I have had a look at the links. I am seriuos considering changing Dora and lizzy to a RAW diet as i am really concerend that the processed dry and wet food has so much rubbish and unecessary stuff in it and that my girls would be much healthier on a natural diet. Also have you any suggestions on suppliers ion Cumbernauld, I will go and speak to my local butcher in Condorrat but would really like an idea of how much i will need for the girls (two JRT's) one is 2 and th other is a 4mnth pup, to be honest it would also be alot easier that buying two separate foods and i'm pretty sure that seen as they are both so active and muscular that they will benefit now and in later life. Any help on the subject would be appreciated. Also it might sopt the pup farting so much as she is a wee stinker,,either that or my other half is ill and is blaming his farting on the dog!!!! Laughing
Sheryl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy
Hows you? and the girls!? ha
The best person to speak to would be john or Marcella, they have been feeding Murphy and Diesel on the raw diet for 6 months or something!
My two are going to be half raw and half burns, ie in the morning burns and at night they'll get raw mince with some burns!
If I had extra room for a freezer I would maybe think about raw more but we don't so...
i like the sound of it all apart from the raw chicken part with bones, cant deal with that! ha
As far as I'm aware John has a club account with someone and that's where hes gets his raw food
But speak to Marcella and John they'll point you in the right direction!!

Good luck!
x
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy - the dog ALWAYS gets the blame!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

Yes we've been feeding raw for a while now and found a huge benefit. The dogs are calmer, coats are softer, they itch far less and their teeth are cleaner!
One the home page of the forum you will see a link to a local Pet Food Supplier. Fiona with Star and Libby also uses this supplier. Everything is conveniently packaged and it is very cheap!!!!
Kirsty with Bob and Dodge also feeds raw - she will tell you the same Very Happy

We also use a local butcher - we buy our own food and he gives us chicken backs and wings and beef bones etc free of charge for the dogs. Don't buy chicken from any dog food suppliers - any butcher will happily give you these bits free of charge. Otherwise they have to pay to dispose of them so they are delighted to give you them free!

We have found that feeding them raw not only benefits the dogs - but it's saving us money too!

John will give you more info when he's around! Wink
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great I might come along on sun so will seek everyone one who RAW feeds and annoy you all for info.

thanks
lindy
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem! Laughing
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I love the raw diet and so do Libby and Star! As Marcella says its cheaper and you have the piece of mind that you know exactly what they are getting. You can choose either mince for smaller dogs or chunks for bigger, I also use a natural mixer. Star loves the Chicken wings and both love the heart chunks! I would never go back to feeding them processed tinned food.

I noticed a difference in them both really quickly.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
as you will have gathered Lindy I am a big fan of a raw diet and I would encourage anyone not simply to listen to me but to look on the net and read some of the information available.

There are some really poor quality pet foods around and also some high quality healthy ones.........but you need to do you homework, ask questions and draw your own conclusions as to what to feed your dog.

It is probably the most important decision you can make for them........so you want to get it as right as you can!

Feeding is a compromise.......cost ,quality and convenience.........the balance has to work for both yopu and your dogs(s).

Raw requires a bit more planning and preparation, a freezer helps cut costs dramatically as does a friendly butcher.

My feeding is 100% raw and now costs around £30 to feed 2 GSD's for 6 weeks.........which I think is not too bad at all.

Here are a couple of links that helped me when I started researching this.

http://www.rawfed.com/
http://www.ukrmb.co.uk/
http://www.rawlearning.com/
http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm#started
kirsty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lindy

as marcela said I feed my two raw and have noticed a difference in Dodge in two respects, he does not scratch - previously he was driving himself and us nuts with his constant scratching and at time scratched his wee face raw. Also he is a calmer dog.

I buy from a supplier called Landywoods pet foods and their price list is on their website, but there is also a forum link to the cumbernauld supplier and the club members get a discount.

I get my chicken from the Aberdeen fish shop in Kilsyth and the owner is more than happy to give us the chicken bones free - has has told me to tell anyone at the club they can have them.

The only issue for me (im feeding 2 german shepherds) is storage, but I went to the scratch and dent outlet at possilpark and got a big upright freezer for £85.00 and it has paid for its self already. Though I also sometimes have to use the freezer half of a fridge freezer when I get my order. my recent order will cost £62 for 6 weeks (I feed my dogs a bit more than john feeds murphy and deisel) they are a bit bigger and heavier. I am thinking of cutting down their feeding just a little to get them a little leaner.

I would not go back to dog food now. good luck with it.

I do fret a bit about, should I be giving them supplements, should I be giving them veg etc. But even if Im not getting it exactly right, they are better fed now than if I was feeding them dog food.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY GOODNESS

DON'T KNOW HOW I MANAGED TO FORGET...............

KEANO AND COBY ATE RAW LAST NIGHT.............ASDA's OWN MINCE........AND THEY LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!! (getting more tonight!)

wav

x x x
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Sheryl............if you decide to continue there are FAR cheaper places to buy from Very Happy

I bet you got a look that said REAL FOOD.thanks Mum
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was only 74p!!!! I dont have any room for a freezer at the moment and with the house and stuff not sure whats going to happen, but Im going to try do it at night (burns in the morning raw a night).
Burns is the best thing i've ever done for them apart from get them both the snip as of Wednesday!!

Looked disgusting but they loved it!
Chris wasnt too keen until I sed
"Christopher John feeds his dog raw all the time!!" Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks disgusting especially when they're gnawing on a chunk of tripe or heart ........... pale
But they do enjoy it.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See that's too far for me!!!

puke

I can do the mice though!! Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl wrote:
See that's too far for me!!!

puke

I can do the mice though!! Very Happy

see I couldn't feed them mice .................. take it you missed out the 'n' Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing ha ha ha Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: