Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
HELP REQUIRED PLEASE
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claire/Mark
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: HELP REQUIRED PLEASE Reply with quote

I seem to be having a nightmare of a time with Mylo since Wednesday when he decided to pee on me Embarassed He is barking all the time, getting attitude again, being totally hyper and just trying to dominate the house again. We are still doing what we have been doing enforcing pack order etc, but he just seems to be going off the rails at the moment... Even altho he did get a cert on Sunday Confused It's not just with me it's with my mum and Mark it's begining to be a bit of a handful again Sad Do you know if there is anything else I can do? or could this be jealousy of Tara altho we do treat the both of them exactly the same way. And if it is Mylo being jealous (like a lonely child) what can we do! HELP!!!!!! Thanks Claire
Emma*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be doing the same as you are re-enforcing pack order but i think you are best speaking to John,Claire Smile
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not very good with the pack order thing. However i try to do some things to show yoda me and stephen are the boss. I make sure we go out the door first before her. I make sure stephen and i eat our dinner first. I dont allow her to eat untill i say it is ok. I make sure she is not on the couch or in the bedroom.
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done amanda and stephen!!!!!....................that's exactly the way to start pack order!......keep up the good work! Smile
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I do all of this already which means I am totally Confused as to why this is happening I must be doing something wrong Confused
alisonD
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel Claire! Its a nightmare at times Crying or Very sad Tom is very alike so hyper Rolling Eyes i just don't know what iam doing wrong! Away from other dogs & at home he is a total different dog Twisted Evil :
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've struggled to convince Dale where he fitted into the 'pack' since we first got him Sad
I had a visit from someone a couple of weeks ago who pointed things out I just hadn't seen although it was all so obvious when someone else said it Evil or Very Mad
She also thinks pack order is the key but reckons you sometimes need to do more than the Jan Fennel things. With Dale a lot of things have sorted themselves out now we've removed his crate.Crates are great but he was using it as HIS space. It had a view of front and back doors and it made a wonderful control center Shocked He spent all his time there, refusing to come when called, hiding there if he wanted to avoid anything, and launched attacks on all kinds of things like the hoover,dishwasher, blinds, ironing board etc. etc. It felt as if i couldn't do anything in the house without planning a strategy for managing Dale first. Crazy I know.
We put the crate in the garage and what a change. I'm also making sure I'm in control of everything he does- which room he goes to, when he goes to the garden, when he gets back in. He's being given no choices. It sounds hard but now he comes when I call,stands back and lets me go through doors with no fuss, walks behind for spells on lead, pulls a lot less and is generally much easier to live with
Maybe there's something you're not spotting. Perhaps talking it over with someone like John might help you spot it. Good luck.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he misbehaves in the house try ignoring him. Don't make eye contact or touch him as he could be attention seeking! When he quietens down and lies down wait a few minutes and if he's still quiet then call him to you and give him a pet. If he starts to behave badly again then repeat the ignoring and no contact again. What does he do when he's misbehaving, running around and barking or anything more?
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I'm also making sure I'm in control of everything he does- which room he goes to, when he goes to the garden, when he gets back in. He's being given no choices.

that's exactly it Janice .............. YOU make the choices not the dog! thumbright
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he is running around jumping from couch to couch, staring to jump over anyone that walks in the front door, Uncontrollable barking if he is put in a different room... Also last night when I tried to remove him from the kitchen he just turned into a devil dog growling and barking at me Evil or Very Mad It's quite scary when he gets started Evil or Very Mad if he gets no joy from us he starts the same on Tara when in these moods using his nose for her attention. Confused Twisted Evil He is also trying to get to everyone first for a clap even if it means trying to push Tara out the way, although Tara does this to Mylo sometimes as well Confused
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's good advice Janice, just when he turns into a devil not quite sure which way he is going to go Twisted Evil Sad
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like he's attention seeking. Try completely ignoring him, as hard as that may be. No eye contact, no talking to him and no physical contact either if possible unless you removing him from your head! Laughing
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
It does sound like he's attention seeking. Try completely ignoring him, as hard as that may be. No eye contact, no talking to him and no physical contact either if possible unless you removing him from your head! Laughing

Thanks Marcella I will try this and see how it goes. Very Happy
Arlene
Chatty Junior Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of pack order as the basic things like you would teach a kid, manners and obedience Laughing It seems to work that way. Your not allowed that but your allowed that type of thing. Smile
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am by no means an expert, however, althou Mylo may be attention seeking, depending on how aggressive he may be getting whilst doing this, rather than ignore, which i believe is good for misbehaving etc, i would be giving a strong correction. I,m not saying that you should thump the living day lights outta him, which at times, lets be honest we all feel like doing from time to time! Not just Mylo Claire, i mean our own dogs! You have to make sure he knows this is unacceptable, i know any sort of acknowledgment can at times be a response and what the dog is looking for, but with aggression, i would say sometimes you need to remind him who the boss is! A grab by the back of neck/collar and a loud NO can work for most dogs!? Removing him from the room he is misbehaving in can also stop him from continuing. Its all fun and games trying to enforce pack order, took me a while to claim 'top dog' in my hoose.... ssssh, Kylie doesnt know yet! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: