Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Blood in Vomit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheryl
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had to feed mine rice and egg for 9/10days coz they were so bad! And over the last couple of days maybe 4 days we have added bits of burns! And so far so good I think another 6days and they will be completely on burns. And when there on that I'm going to start if Chris and I are having meat chicken then also give them a bit raw!
I don't think the is much difference between JW and Burns the reason I choose Burns is because they have a help line that's honestly why I choose it.
ie this morning you could have taken the dog to the vet then phoned then to see what there take on it is they also have a nutritionist and there all free numbers and not only that but if you phone then and say would it be possible to send out an info pack they send you the info plus the packets of foods like sample size but enough for a meal for my 2!

Hope this helps maybe...
x
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope she picks up really soon Alison. Just make sure she takes in some water.
Poor pooch.

I'm sure you'll nurse her back to full strength soon! Wink
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad What a horrible day!
Its easier said then done but try not too worry too much. Sam had colitis off and on for years and it was really a case of learning to manage it. Seeing blood gives you an awful fright. The first time it happened I was sure meant something terrible but he carried on enjoying life as usual.
I wish I'd known more about diet at that time. He was on Omega. But I think it was using Metacalm for athritis that really caused the problem.
James Wellbeloved seems good and its easy to buy locally but I'm curious about Burns. I'd like to know how they compare.
Hope Eilidh feels better soon.
Enid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any help - I feed my 2 on Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice. They thrive on it and we never have any tummy upsets.
Alison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Many thanks for all of your kind words/advice. It's good to know that we should be able to manage this problem if it comes to that.
She's looking very lethargic, understandably, and she wont take the rehydrating powder in the water. She's actually not drinking that much normal water either Marcella, which is worrying me.
Wallace is looking really worried as she is just lying down sleeping most of the time. They are usually chasing and boxing each other. He knows she isn't well and lies beside her and gives her a wee look now and again.
Sad
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know why some people say dogs don't know what going on around them cos they do, and they know when something is wrong with there family dog or human Smile
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alison

Sorry to hear she still so poorly. I wonder what started it. Colitis is an irritation in some part of the gut but it can be be caused by different things. A reaction to food or an infection or various other things. If she won't drink I wouldn't leave it too long before you get in touch with the vet again.
Hopefully the injection and gavison will help soon.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you can do is keep an eye on her. Dogs are very good at doing what us humans don't do - take rest whilst they are ill. They know they are poorly and they do want to go away and lie in a corner. They know what they have to do to recover.
If she's no better whatsoever tomorrow I'd give the vet a ring. But perhaps a day of rest and no food will do her the world of good.

Hopefully she'll be a bit better tomorrow and will start drinking. Thing is .......... if the vomitting etc has stopped then she's not losing any more fluids............ so drinking isn't too much of an issue right now.
Alison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eilidh became quite animated when Alistair came home tonight so that's a good sign.
We have an appointment with the vet in the morning so we'll see what he/she says. Fingers crossed she'll have a good night. It wouldn't be the first time I've had to sleep down on the floor with one of my dogs. Hopefully it won't come to that.
She hasn't been sick again, thanks to the jag.
I'll be in touch tomorrow with an update. Thank you all for your concern. It's much appreciated. Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds positive Alison! Very Happy
Keep us informed. Wink
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
Sad What a horrible day!
Its easier said then done but try not too worry too much. Sam had colitis off and on for years and it was really a case of learning to manage it. Seeing blood gives you an awful fright. The first time it happened I was sure meant something terrible but he carried on enjoying life as usual.
I wish I'd known more about diet at that time. He was on Omega. But I think it was using Metacalm for athritis that really caused the problem.
James Wellbeloved seems good and its easy to buy locally but I'm curious about Burns. I'd like to know how they compare.
Hope Eilidh feels better soon.

I had my Westie on (dry) James Wellbeloved lamb and rice for a while. She thrived on this and has no skin or digestion conditions at all. As some of you will know, Westies are rather notorious for their skin irritations!

After receiving some free samples of Burns chicken and brown rice, I decided to buy some and give it a try. That was 2 years ago and i've had Molly on Burns for almost 2 years now. She is thriving on this and is a healthy dog with no skin conditions or behavioural issues and she has a lovely full coat. I think Molly prefers the size of the Burns food compared to James Wellbeloved.

I've won some food at Companion and fun agility shows, so most of that gets used up on Roxy the crossbreed! Laughing She also gets some Burns.

I also use the Burns as treats occasionally.

I would recommend either James Wellbeloved or Burns dry complete foods, the are both equally as good, imo. James Wellbeloved is slightly cheaper.
Alison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Eilidh was at the vet this morning but I haven't had a chance to come on the forum since then.
She was much better in herself this morning. Thank goodness! Smile

Mrs Lawrie examined her and said her stomach, womb etc seemed normal and not swollen. Very Happy

I asked about diet. She's just to have rice and chicken for two days and then gradually go back onto normal food. The vet said to go back to her usual food and then gradually change to hypo-allergenic food. I don't really want to go back onto her usual food and I was wondering whether this would be a good time to make the changeover with her food. Obviously the vet will know better than me but does anyone have any advice based on their experience please?
Confused
The main thing is she is much better but I don't want to do anything that might aggrevate the matter.

Thanks.
Alison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola,

Thanks for your comments on the Burns v James Wellbeloved. Much appreciated. Smile
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news you must be so relieved!!!
Alison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fiona. We certainly are!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: