Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Paws

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Paws Reply with quote

Hi - looking for advice??

Over the last week or so, my dog Blue has started licking the pads on this front paws. Initially I thought that he was just cleaning his paws but he is doing it more and more. I have check both paws for cuts or thorns but they seem ok.

Anyone ever came across this before?

Thanks
Myra
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel does that too ........... all the time! I've always said it was because when Diesel lifts his leg he piddles on his front feet!!!!! Laughing I don't know to be honest so I too will be curious if anyone has any answers to this one.
Perhaps councils spraying weedkiller around the public footpaths and it's irritating their pads?????
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as Marcella says Diesel in particular has itchy feet..........and an itchy back!

I put it down to the grass being cut last week for the first time.

John
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Paws Reply with quote

I took Dale to Culross this afternoon and he's obviously walked on something that irritated his paws. We had a good walk, part of the time on paths and a bit of time off lead on grass. When we got back to the car he was frantically biting his back paws and scrabbling at the ground. We had to wait for half an hour before he settled enough to drive back. I rinsed his paws with water but that didn't help. The grass verges had been cut so my guess is that they'd put down some weedkiller or something. He's much more settled now but I hope it doesn't happen too often!
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's interesting Janice .... as I said that was something I had wondered about too.
Last year we had a terrible time with Diesel. John had been walking both dogs one morning along a footpath where we live. The grass had been cut a day or so beforehand where he'd been walking. Anyway, 30 mins after they got home Diesel took a nose bleed ............ but an extreme nose bleed, it was running like tap water. We had to rush him to the vet ....... to cut a long story short, he spent 2 days in the vet hospital and was quite ill. Sad They tested him for cancer, checked to see if something was lodged at the back of his nose etc etc............ and after loads of blood tests they discovered he'd taken a severe allergic reaction to something he sniffed, most possibly weedkiller.
He was very ill, lost a lot of blood. Quite a frightening experience. You would think the local councils are spraying something that is child and pet friendly Question But it makes you wonder.
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's scary to think whats getting sprayed around.

We are lucky with fields all around us, the only thing we need to watch for is cow pats Laughing
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Paws Reply with quote

Hi Myra,
Sometimes it can become habit forming and the dogs end up with a sore caused by licking. Could maybe try the distraction technique?!

Deborah
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if i should have put this in this topic but never mind!

For the last couple of days Coby has been licking one paw and it has really seemed to be bothering him!

Chris tried to check it last night and Coby went mental not coming near him the rest of the night!

I later on lay down on the floor beside him and he let me have a look and it looks like....
where his nail comes out of his foot the skin looks really red and swollen and as though its been bleeding because there is blood on the actual nail itself! on the rest of his paws the skin seems to join to the nail but on this one the skin is seperate and further back. i spent most of the night trying to distract him from liking it but any time i stopped playing with him so sat back up on the couch he started licking it again! I dont know if has an infection but i would imagin that if we take him to the vet he will just get an antibiotic for his foot and will also end up getting told hes needs medicine for a random head ache or something!

Does any of that make sense???

If So....was wondering if anyone has had a problem like this before and knoes how to deal with it or clean it or just help it heal up...or if it would be just better taking him to the vet!!!

Please Help!
x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: