Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Oooh noooo!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Oooh noooo!!! Reply with quote

Jaws caught, killed and ate a wee baby rabbit... Sad Within 30 seconds, the baby rabbit was gone! I was upset, but I stayed calm. Jaws was just following his instinct. I never punished my cats for catching mice or birds. But my boyfriend just went nuts when I told him!! He told me I should have hit Jaws hard to punish him, that his behavior is not normal, that he is a killer, etc etc... I just thought that was completely out of order...

How would you guys react if your dog killed a rabbit? Would you punish him?

Patricia
Barry
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to say i would prob punish tikka!? unless your dog has grown up hunting or suchlike, i feel they should try and respect all pet like animals, a rabbit i,d say being one of those!? you must be quite upset? has he ever came across a rabbit or any other smaller animals before?
where did the baby rabbit come from?
Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well tara has killed a few, one rabbit, few birds and many small rodents... i know its the natural instinct and they do like to give you presents, its the only way they know. However I do come across with a lower and raised voice, she knows shes in trouble and the lightest of tap and then clear up the mess (if she not eaten it), she also would be banned for outside for about 4 hours and then back to normal. Sometimes I just let it be and I used to go chasing her when she 'just' caught the kill, but i know in minutes she disable it.

harsh reply i know... but there you go.. i got used to it now
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry wrote:
i have to say i would prob punish tikka!? unless your dog has grown up hunting or suchlike, i feel they should try and respect all pet like animals, a rabbit i,d say being one of those!? you must be quite upset? has he ever came across a rabbit or any other smaller animals before?

Well it happened in the woods. Jaws suddenly appeared with a rabbit in his mouth... Sad He's never done anything like that before. I have pet canaries at home, and he leaves them alone.

Patricia
lynn 01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully as yet Bubbles hasn't actually caught anything. She herded the deer in the glen this week until they were standing about 5 feet from me.(venison anyone) She has chased and cornered a cat a couple of times but after the chase it is as if she dosen`t know what to do and just walks aways without actually touching the cat.
Barry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patricia wrote:

Well it happened in the woods. Jaws suddenly appeared with a rabbit in his mouth... Sad He's never done anything like that before. I have pet canaries at home, and he leaves them alone.

i suppose this is just a one off random incident, what else can you really do?
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

physically hitting jaws is not a punishment its abuse ..he is simply following instinct and its all down to retraining i for one am pleased when one of my dogs appears with a rabbit ... but then my dogs are working dogs and are bred to hunt.. training is the only way forward to stop him doing it
kendal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patricia wrote:

in that case it is possible he just found it, there have been some people on the forum who say there dog came back with the leg of a dear. just a thaught.

Barry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry wrote:

just for the record, i personally did not mean physical punishment, my tone and body language is normally enough for tikka to know when she done wrong!
Lorna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dogs have all, even Poppy, killed and brought us dead animals. Poppy has so far brought in five mice and a Blackbird. I do not feel it appropriate to 'punish' the dogs for what to them is natural behaviour - when it has already occurred you have missed any opportunity to change the behaviour.
I agree with Allan - training for future behaviour is the only way to go.
Barry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorna wrote:
when it has already occurred you have missed any opportunity to change the behaviour.

this is key, and do agree, punishment afterwards is wrong, the dog is unsure then as to why!
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan Campbell wrote:
physically hitting jaws is not a punishment its abuse ..

Oh don't worry, I never ever hit Jaws and I would never allow anyone to hit him!

Patricia
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorna wrote:
My dogs have all, even Poppy, killed and brought us dead animals. Poppy has so far brought in five mice and a Blackbird. I do not feel it appropriate to 'punish' the dogs for what to them is natural behaviour - when it has already occurred you have missed any opportunity to change the behaviour.
I agree with Allan - training for future behaviour is the only way to go.

Hence why I didn't punish Jaws... It's his instinct! When he starts running after a rabbit, I call him and he always comes back to me. But since he just appeared out of nowhere with a rabbit in his mouth, there's nothing I could have done...

Patricia
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barry and patricia i didn't for a minute think that either of you would hit your dogs and i apologise if thats the way it came across... i dont mean there should never be any physical correction ..i am the first person to clip a dog round the earhole if its done wrong but it has to be caught in the act and usually my voice is enough ..(as anyone at the later classes will tell you im a "shouty" person ).. perseverance and the correct training will curb any unacceptable behavior in most dogs ...unfortunatly its not usually the dog that has the problem its the handlers not understanding of how a dog thinks that is the basis of behavioral disorders... we do what we can Smile
jackdeb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must have been awfull to see

I would call my two away if i seen them going for any animal had any of them done this i would have let them know how angry i was with the tone of my voice but at the end of the day if they are dead set upon chasing and catching some thing they just don't want to listen on your call for them to return to you.

Are you sure he did catch it himself? i have seen kodi coming out of bushes with a dead bird and we know she definately did't kill it.

Debs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: