Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dog Walking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynseyb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Dog Walking Reply with quote

For the last week Sarrison has taken it upon himself that half way into his walk he want to jump up on me and play, I have been stopping and turning my back on him until he calms down but when we begin walking it starts again! Does any1 have any suggestions on how to stop? He is also consantly pulling on his lead and due to the fact he is only 25 wks i am beginning to get worried that he is going to end up too strong for me to walk. Are choker chains any good or are there any other alternatives for this?

Any suggestions would be helpful Smile

Lyns x
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of dog is he?

I have a great dane who would be too strong for me to walk if I didnt use a halti headcollar. I am getting a prong collar from John to try as well as the halti does ride up his face a bit and rubs away his hair.

A lot of the dog school members use the prong collars and have fantastic results but as i havent got one yet I cant advise!

If he was jumping up at you I would give a firm NO and make it really clear that the behaviour is unacceptable (without freaking out!) John or any of the more experienced handlers would be able to advise you better
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ask John about the jumping up but the prong collar works WONDERS for a dog that is getting too strong. Without it I could never take my spaniel out. He has been pulling since he was a small pup and he is now 11 months and about 20kgs and growing and of all my dog related equipment , the prong collar is the most useful of all. However , be guided by John on that one.
Good luck.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heel training does work for us - most of the time. We've got him off the halti and have seen a big difference.

But so does the pack stuff - he still pulls en route and I know it's him telling me to hurry up so still work to be done to make sure we're in charge of the walk not him. Also if I get annoyed at the pulling, he just pulls more - so try to be calm assertive.

He will try to jump on me if I have a stick, but I just say no and stick my hand out so he physically can't.

And in the house, he was a big jumper, but we've ignore him till he calms down. And again, he is getting better with that.

I view "most of the time" as a success.

Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarrison is still very young and not really aware just how strong he is.......

I would continue to train and practice the heel work..........does he have a favorite toy or ball that you could use to focus his attention they use that as a reward? His mind does wander but he is a puppy so it is to be expected.
lynseyb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!!

We have been out in the garden training when i got home tonight and all went well (thanks to livercake and no distractions Smile )

We have a halti but by the time we got to the gate in the garden sarrison had it off
Shocked might not have had it on tight enough tho!

as you say he is still a pup, im sure he will soon learn, think he maybe sees me as a bit of a walk over just now!!

Lyns x
Arlene
Chatty Junior Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog Rusty jumped up like that not that long ago. I just found that if a took a ball or toy out with me and he was able to play a little while off lead on hi walk he calmed down Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John can show you in class how to raise your knee to prevent him jumping up at home.

I have two strong Great Danes. When they are young if they tug en route to the park, I turn round and head in the opposite direction which is where they do not want to go. When they stop tugging for a couple of minuted I turn back towards the park again. I keep this up until they walk to the park without carrying on.
The trip to the end of my street where the park is could take 20 minutes at times. But, it was a great source of amusement for the neighbours.Rolling Eyes

I use a prong now and I find it works really well. Neither of them is a problem walking now.
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: