Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Pack Order.......... The Basis of Dog Obedience
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT'S QUITE A GOOD POINT...................CAN YOU PLEASE QUOTE SOME BOOKS FOLLOWING YOUR THEORY THAT WE COULD CHOOSE TO READ?

TITLE OR TITLE AND AUTHOR!
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also completely disagree with what you are saying Stephanie, I think reading your posts was just a bit of a joke really. Personally if I found £50 on the street I would hand it into the police, not necessarily that someone would look for it there but it is the right thing to do and I feel that such rewards as a £50 should be earned!!

I have Tilly a little Westie who knows that her place is in her bed and not ours and I feel I get more respect from her this way, if I let her do what she liked she would turn into a spoiled little brat that wouldn't take a telling. You will one day realise this when you want Luna to do something and she will just ignore you realising that she can do what she likes. The pack order works for all of us and your posts are of no interest to me.
Emma*

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a can of worms has been opened....i have to agree with John, Alan, Janis, Anna and anyone else i have missed who support pack leadership...
Skye came to me a nervous aggressive dog, with little commands and by personally using pack leadership she has become a calmer submissive dog/puppy going from 0% recall to near on 100% and now grasping basic commands( sometimes Laughing )

John has give me some very useful training tips based on pack leadership, which have all worked! I have also researched via books, DVDs and the Internet and stand by my decision to use these techniques. Very Happy
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie21 wrote:
If you were doing something you really liked and someone kept bugging you to stop it then I am sure you would get angry. Obviously some dogs have a much lower threshold for displaying aggression.

I would get angry.......if I had no respect for the person then I would ignore it and do as I pleased.....if I respected the person in question then I would capitulate and avoid the confrontation.

this 'social worker' approach has I believe led to a break down in human society.........when I was young and a t school if I did wrong I got the belt....now in the same situation kids tell teachers to 'f**k off because you can't do anything.
Same with a dog..I have two GSD's.....one is high drive ( including prey drive that you believe does not exist).....now if I did not dominate him mentally and physically he would be an accident waiting to happen........instead he is a credit to the breed.

I am not having a go at you personally....after 30 years of dog ownership I just disagree with your thoughts on dog behavior...............
kerry

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you john, but in my course some things mentioned in the other post were discussed( although not in depth) in my course, however our lecturer stressed that this was in itself a new theory into understanding dog behaviour, and some things make you think how it works, and new theories are always welcomed as your right, the pack order is a theory but with that it provides you with ways on how to work with your dog, but our lecturer was clear with 1 thing, all dogs when given the chance will revert back to pack order, now this might only be a slight hint of it or completely revert, but even the smallest of dogs have this trait in them.

Our lecture wasnt that indepth( crammed into an hour) infact this was a guest speaker who was doing a talk about wolves later on in the day about their reintroduction to scotland. so cant really comment more other. But it was interesting to hear a new idea on the matter Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Stephanie I too disagree. I am now in my 60's. My grandmother bred Bedlingtons. My first Great dane was 43 years ago and I have owned and fostered many rescue dogs since then. I currently have 2 rescued Danes and a Beagle. I have been observing dog behaviour for over 60 years now. Many ideas have changed over that time but pack order works. With dogs which weigh over 70 kilos it is important that you can control them.
They do things because I like it. They want to please me. I am the boss. The are not allowed to do things they might like - rolling in poo, eating the garbage, sleeping on my bed... They are very happy dogs because they know the boundaries I have erected for them.
(Just like the pupils in my classes, John. I believe respect is the key.)
Within the dog rankings they know exactly which dog fits where.

As John says, when we walk with 20 or so dogs they very quickly establish the rank order. This order can be altered over time and as new dogs join. This can be observed any time we walk together - which is on a daily basis.
kendal

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie21 wrote:

Yes wolves live in packs, but it is very complicated. The actually pack theory (it has only every been a theory, never proven) came about by a study that was conducted on captive wolves. The main problem with this study is the fact that it was carried out on captive wolves. Captive wolves do not have the same behaviours as feral wolves. In the wild wolves are far less aggressive with each other as wolves are in captivity. This is because packs of wolves in the wild are commonly made up of families and also because they are under far less stress in comparison with captive wolves. For example – if two wolves do not get along then they are able to avoid each other. Whereas, if they were in captivity they would constantly be around each other. Captive wolves are generally more aggressive due to the fact that the pack is all made up of strangers and have no choice but to live together. There is also the fact that at some stage in their life many wolves will leave their natal pack to find a mate in order to start their own pack. This process stops any tension developing within the pack. Captive wolves are not able to do this. As you can see the basis for the theory is actually very flawed.

kerry wrote:
I totally agree with you john, but in my course some things mentioned in the other post were discussed( although not in depth) in my course, however our lecturer stressed that this was in itself a new theory into understanding dog behaviour, and some things make you think how it works, and new theories are always welcomed as your right, the pack order is a theory but with that it provides you with ways on how to work with your dog, but our lecturer was clear with 1 thing, all dogs when given the chance will revert back to pack order, now this might only be a slight hint of it or completely revert, but even the smallest of dogs have this trait in them.

i believe more in pack order as i have seen it working, and makes more seance and i have seen it work.

i would like to stress Stephanie that your theory that you have studied is exactly that a theory, i would also like to know some of you references of where you got you information and where you are studying, what will you become when you qualify or what will this qualification allow you to become.

i must say that yous comments on the growling are completely stupid, i work in a kennel so i deal with dogs that are hand shy or just hate strangers, the more you back away from the dog the worse the situation get, when we have new people who start they get nervous of the dog and end up faffing around going back and forth trying to get the lead on, this stresses the dog out and prolongs the situation. yes by all means be cautious of the dog as the last thing any body want is to get bitten. but the dog needs to know that you are in control but not trying to hurt it so the best was is to be firm and just get straight to it.
i have a 4 year old brother so when my mum and i got the dog it was made clear that we would not tolerate any behavior that could lead to him getting hurt(lets face it he was 2 or 3 at the time so didn't understand if we told him not to do some thing) our girls are allowed up on the couch and on the bed, but still to this day if they growl or anything to that effect that we do not want them to do them they are removed whether they like it or not.
it is like children with there golden time at school it is a luxury that can be taken away.

ok i have made this longer than i intended, i wish you luck in what ever you do, everyone has different methods of training
and i believe that positive reinforcement is a key feature but discipline is equally important a dog needs to know its place.

StuartW

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I don't understand about this discussion is that 'pack order' exists throughout human and animal societies. It isn't just limited to dogs. Ask anyone who has spent time in jail (er, no I haven't BTW Wink ) or in the army, at sea, at school, etc, etc. I'm not talking of the artificially constructed rank systems, but the peer to peer interaction that often transcends these systems.

There are very good reasons why the "theory" of pack order endures.. because it is straight-forward and has been demonstrated countless times. Asking for more proof than that is like asking an astronomer to proove that the sun will definately rise tomorrow!

I'd be interested to read your references though. Most folk on this forum will tell you that I don't mind playing devil's advocate Very Happy
Barry

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephanie, welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to amend a couple of the rules etc asked when registering! Very Happy
Unfortunately i have loads on this week and am making sure i spend little time on here this week, bl00dy place is so addictive! Twisted Evil I do feel the need to post, as like most completely disagree with most if not all you have noted. As you mentioned you are entitled to your opinion and in turn, feeling so strongly, as you stated regarding this subject it would be great and most welcoming if you continued to take the time and answer some of the questions and queries various members have asked you regarding your theory. My take in simplified terms is this, your theory if nothing more, complicates matters, it complicates owning, reacting, treating and behavior's of your every day pet dog! People like simplicity, no not the f4nny pad! Laughing LOL, most things in life work when you simplify them! Making things simple can be the hardest thing to do, regardless of what we are dealing with, be it a dog and how they behave, or a sport you are trying to learn and develop and increase your level of skill or performance!? What i,m trying to say, and i know i,m waffling is, most dog owners understand pack order. Most have witnessed pack order. Most understand how to try and enforce. Its simple, not to enforce, but on its very own basis. Most owners as John mentioned have seen remarkable results, some when they thought they had no other route to follow! Our very own families have pack order! Adults are allowed to stay up late and watch movies, eat rubbish etc etc, if we choose that our kids are not, its because we are pack leaders 'head of the family, and basically we will decide, not them, so why wouldn't we filter this down to our dogs, whom i believe come AFTER any kids within a family home? Stephanie, your posts made for interesting reading, but don't add up, dogs are pack animals, and should always be treated like so, if not, i feel you could be building accidents waiting to happen, there would be little or no respect, and dogs would then CHOOSE which behavior they wished to display, obviously not a wise gamble, regardless of breed, size or who makes up your own family! Smile
Stephanie21

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Clearly this topic could go on forever. It has been great reading what everyone's opinions are on this matter.

I have to say though that I dont appreciate being insulted by being called stupid. I have never once insulted or dismissed anyone. Everyone has the right to an opinion and I am trying to challenge ideas and find out how people view dog behaviour today. By saying that you wont read my posts again because you dont agree with what I am saying seems a bit childish. If you ignore everyone that doesnt share the same views as yourself then you will be a very lonely person.

I have tried my very best to answer questions as directly as possible. If anyone wants to ask me a specific question or get references etc then I think it would be best to message me, otherwise this debate will never end! lol

I would just like to answer Barry with my thoughts on what he has said. I know what I have said is more complicated than pack theory. And yes pack thoery is simple to grasp and easy to implement. That is the reason why I do not agree with it. Our dogs are very complex and experience a wide range of emotions. Therefore I believe we owe it to them to understand them as best we can. I know you may not agree with this but I just wanted to explain what I feel about this.

I used to be a believer in pack theory. Having dogs all my life, it was just what was accepted as true. When I started to find out that there were alternatives I was completely shocked! Believe me, it took a lot for me to change my views. But I can now say I am very happy with everything I have learned.

I have a very strong Newfoundland whom I never used pack order with. She is a wonderful and balanced dog. She listens to me and my partner. She has been a joy to own and train. I would like to say again that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to say why a dog was growling without a full consultation. A kennel environment is very different to a home environment and obviously treatment for any type of aggression depends on dog, environment etc.

I never said that their is not a complex heirarchy within a wolf pack. But to compare that so directly to dogs is like comparing our behaviour to that of a chimps! To me that doesnt make so much sense.

Again I would like to say that I have really enjoyed this discussion. I think it is great that John has a forum like this. It gives dogs owners the chance to talk to each other, which can sometimes be difficult.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Stephanie.

I apologise on behalf of of the others if you felt offended by their response.

Please keep replies civil at all times!

I would agree that some dogs who are not pre dissposed to climbing up the pack order.......however a large number do. I would be interested in how you would approach training and working with a dog such as this?
I ask because I get a proportion of people who commence training because their dog hits adolescence and they cannot control it. Invariably when I visit the home there is a complete absence of pack order in the household, the dog has not boundaries or limitations in place hence takes over and does exactly what it likes. A dog in this kind of environment is clearly unhappy, out of control and potentially very dangerous.
I find people tend to pay their dogs too much attention and shower them with love and affection.........sometimes this results in a happy content dog.........more often than not , in my experience it results in a problem dog.

Like I said before there are several local dog training classes who refuse to take on a 'problem dog'
This is a link to an as yet unfinished webpage.........the stories here are as typed by the dog owners and are un edited http://www.cumbernaulddogtraining.co.uk/testimonials.html

I believe 100% in pack order
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not giving opinions on the right or wrong of any theory, I just feel that there isn't one specific answer to all problems but based on what seems to work for most situations would appear to me to be the first port of call, then if that doesn't work , after giving specific time etc, try another tack. At the end of the day all that matters is your dog is well balanced, happy and safe to be around.
I too feel that everyone one has their own opinion and it does not matter if someone does not agree with you so long as you are all working toward the same goal.
Stephanie21

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I really appreciate your reply Smile With each individual dog I would adopt a training programme tailored specifically for it. eg. I would take a different approach with nervous dogs as to confident dogs. I am definitely not saying that dogs should not have boundaries. Of course you need to have that or the dog will simply become frustrated and act up. You see this happen with kids that have no parental control. Adolescent dogs are always testing their boundaries so this is a critical point on their development. Their hormones are fluctuating and this can cause numerous problems. My dog for instance has boundaries. Things she is and isnt allowed to do. I dont let her do something because I think she is trying to dominate me though. I just prefer, for instance, that she doesnt sleep on my bed because she's huge and hairy! I hope that makes sense Smile

The basic approach I take when looking at any dog, or cat for that matter is a technique used to discover the emotions of the animal when displaying the problem behaviour. I also look at the dogs life as a whole. Is it getting enough stimulation? It is getting an outlet for all its innate behaviours? eg. is a terrier allowed to dig? That's it in a nutshell, of course there is more to it though.

I think why some dog training classes dont take on problem dogs is because they generally need one to one help. If they are in a class environment they can distract other dogs and it can sometimes make the problem behaviour worse. I would advise a problem dog to have private classes and if and when appropriate join a class when ready.

Thank you for your post Gaelle Smile We are after all in the same boat and only want what is best for our dogs!
kendal

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i apologies for my comment, i still believe that alot of what you are saying is over complicating the situation. yes dogs have feelings and emotions any dog owner will tell you that they can read there dogs emotions in its facial expression, and yes dog are smart sometimes to smart for there own good, leading to them working out how to control there owner. the whole point of training a dog is to teach it to make the choice to accept your leadership in the same way that they accept other dogs. i am luck to have two submissive dogs but they are both completely different one is keen to do what ever i ask of her and will do a number of different things if she is unsure of what i have asked, the other spends more time deciding whether the reward if worth the effort.

every dog need to be treated in a different ways but like with everything ells there are foundations and ground work that are all the same.

im sure bot yourself and john will agree that 9 times out of 10 it is the handler that is doing something wrong

Louise13
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who doesn't beleive in pack order are welcome to come live with me and my Malamutes and see it action AND working Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: