Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Confidence building...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Confidence building... Reply with quote

Just wanted to post and say thanks for the wise words at class tonight (John and Janis especially). I think I was getting myself in a right state with Hektor and he was taking advantage of my weakened state (wonky dislocated knee! Sad ).

I thought he didnt do too badly at class. I'll just need to keep forcing myself into situations where I will need to correct him for lunging at other dogs. We had the walk from hell around Broadwood just before class where he went into stalking mode every time we passed another dog, followed by a mad dive across to try to get at it, and I nearly decided not to bring him in.
I am glad I did though, Thanks

Any suggestions for dealing with this behaviour gratefully received!!
I have tried distracting him with food and getting him focused on me with a silly high excited voice, but that did not help Sad
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa,
just a thought, but when i took him out last week we passed a couple of other dogs and he was perfect.
is it a protective thing over you...? gealousy?

Question
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could very well be... John had him for a few mins at start of class and Hek was freaking out a bit...full speed ahead with the prong on to get to me.

Or it could be me anticipating there being a problem with the other dogs, and therefore making one Sad Think will need to be reading Cesar Millan again and maybe taking up meditation to chill a bit Embarassed
shirley c

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My scooby is like that with other dogs but a whippet doesnt seem as scary to other folk as a great dane Very Happy
Seriously though I never got round to sorting him out..though he isnt as bad with Allan so I can only think that its me that isnt as stong enough pack leader to him...I know all the cesar milan stuff and jan fennel is good too, but I find it difficult sticking to it and end up saying o they arent that bad Rolling Eyes Allan despairs Laughing

Im going to have to do something though as Luka is a lot different to the lurchers, where you can get away with loads with them, ridgebacks really do need strong leadership
Gaelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was chatting with a behaviourist recently about a dog who had apparently started to lose it's confidence a bit. The answer was they wanted to put the dog on painkillers for a month until they could see the dog as it wasn't thought to be a behavioural problem, possibly more pain somewhere. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Maybe they might be proven right but surely without actually seeing the dog they should not even think of starting any form of medication (if at all) ?!!
Or am I alone in thinking this way?
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked i would never give my dogs pain killers unless i knew for certain that they were in pain. inca lacks confidence in class, but in know way am i doping her up just on the off chance that it might work, she is fine every where else.

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worry is why would a behaviourist be able to prescribe painkillers? Even if it was a painkiller that was available over the counter I cannot see that anyone can tell what is wrong with a dog without at least seeing it in the flesh.

I think in Hektors case he has assumed an alpha position......probably because he was in kennels for a short time them Lisa injured her knee.......dogs do not feel sorry for us when we are not 100%........they see us as weak and unable to lead so take it upon themselves to take over as leader.

The fact that Hektor is huge makes him difficult to control when he does not want you to.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular person was a qualified vet but liases with the dog's own vet. That being said however, I too firmly believe that nothing like that should be prescribed sight unseen especially on a maybe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: