Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dog Behaviourists.....Why I have a Problem With Them
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Dog Behaviourists.....Why I have a Problem With Them Reply with quote

OK Time for a Friday night rant..........

Dog behaviorists...........what do you think of them?......Well I don't like them at all Evil or Very Mad

From my experience they pay for a course.......get a 'bought' qualification then start handing out incorrect advice to dog owners who believe them because they are 'qualified'(allegedly). Usually the advice is more akin to a social workers point of view than someone who understands how a dog thinks.

They try to sort aggression with a clicker............try stopping an aggressive GSD/Pit Bull etc with a clicker!

Well I believe real world experience is far better and a phone call I had from a club member tonight confirms this.

general jist is this.....7 month old border collie showing aggression towards it's female owner and grandchildren, mainly territorial. Very little problem with aggression toward her male partner........my take on this is that pack order is the problem and the dog views her partner as a leader but not her or the children as leaders.

Possibly needs more stimulation to relieve boredom..........this is a working breed that needs a purpose in life.

At this point if you think I am wrong please tell me!

Rather than try to sort this on the phone I have arranged to visit and see for myself what is happening.
Sensible I would have said.

Well before I got involved the owner looking for help called a dog behaviorist........after a phone call the advice given was..............................

GET RID OF THE DOG......THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT CANNOT BE FIXED!

after a telephone call Evil or Very Mad

makes me so angry.

I'll let you all know what happens.

John
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is just wrong it is only 7 months old its still a pup and the problem can be corrected. we are lucky that we have not had any problems like that, they know that we are in charge. they are still working out who is the boss between them, we think Gypsy but i don't think Inca has accepted it yet. Laughing

i believe the clicker works and i have seen it work , but i am sorry aggression can not be fixed with a clicker, it needs a firm hand and good timing to intervene and distract the dog or correct it.

shirley c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how this pans out, hope they dont get rid of the dog. I think you have hit the nail on the head with this, sounds like pack order needs restored, hope they give it a chance, as Kendal says at 7 mths its still a baby, trying to find its place

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad dog behaviourist
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dog Behaviourists.....Why I have a Problem With Them Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
OK Time for a Friday night rant..........

Dog behaviorists...........what do you think of them?......Well I don't like them at all Evil or Very Mad

From my experience they pay for a course.......get a 'bought' qualification then start handing out incorrect advice to dog owners who believe them because they are 'qualified'(allegedly). Usually the advice is more akin to a social workers point of view than someone who understands how a dog thinks.

They try to sort aggression with a clicker............try stopping an aggressive GSD/Pit Bull etc with a clicker!

Well I believe real world experience is far better and a phone call I had from a club member tonight confirms this.

general jist is this.....7 month old border collie showing aggression towards it's female owner and grandchildren, mainly territorial. Very little problem with aggression toward her male partner........my take on this is that pack order is the problem and the dog views her partner as a leader but not her or the children as leaders.

Possibly needs more stimulation to relieve boredom..........this is a working breed that needs a purpose in life.

At this point if you think I am wrong please tell me!

Rather than try to sort this on the phone I have arranged to visit and see for myself what is happening.
Sensible I would have said.

Well before I got involved the owner looking for help called a dog behaviorist........after a phone call the advice given was..............................

GET RID OF THE DOG......THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT CANNOT BE FIXED!

after a telephone call Evil or Very Mad

makes me so angry.

I'll let you all know what happens.

John

That's when it becomes a 'PROBLEM' as someone else tries to take on a dog they don't know!!!! Mad
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this earlier this morning and have been fuming about it ever since.

Why don't people do their homework before they get a puppy, to ensure they get the right kind for their lifestyle? That poor pup is probably going crazy with frustration. as I suspect it won't be exercised as much as it should be, not to mention even beginning to understand where it's place in the pack is!

I really hope this works out well for the pup and that you can help, John.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.........Border Collie, needs lots of exercise ( a working sheepdog can easily cover 75 miles a day!) and mental stimulation......and a very clear pack order or their instincts take over.......great dogs but only in the right hands.............
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wanted a collie, I like the big heavier ones the best, but I know I cant commit to one so along with Borzoi they are my long way off dogs when im retired Very Happy by then i wont have the energy for them Rolling Eyes
Gwen
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog Behaviourists hmmmm there are some rubbish ones about.

Luckily I know an amazing one.
She is a top breeder and does training classes locally just for the German Shepherd dog.
Over the years she found that certain dogs at the class had issues that were not training issues so she decided to go & train up as a behaviourist.(sp)

A few years back we rescued a White GSD with dominance aggression problems that we were struggling to control.
We went to see her and we were with her for a whole afternoon - she just charged a tenner for this. She does it for the love of the breed.
Anyway we had daily phone calls for the 5 weeks we worked with this dog.
Sadly he was one of the ones that you never see on TV - one that couldn't be saved.
Broke my heart but at the end of 5 loooooooong weeks he was put down.

I could write a book about this dog and I learnt so much from him but he was too unstable to have around.
R.I.P Ben
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry to hear that Ben was one of the un save-able ones, that must must have been heartbreaking.

There are some good ones but its like everything isnt it, its always the bad ones that waste it Rolling Eyes
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwen wrote:
Dog Behaviourists hmmmm there are some rubbish ones about.

And also some good ones !

I am no expert but to tell someone their 7 month old puppy 'can't be fixed' and to get rid of it after a short telephone conversation is I believe a crazy conclusion.

I am going to drop in and see both the dog and owner this afternoon and I hope to be able to offer some constructive advice........I think it will be pack order related as the growling described is never directed towards her husband.
Gwen
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed Shirley it broke my heart.

He was such a beautiful dog to look at and had an amazing white long coat.
I loved him to bits but he wouldn't have anything to do with me unless it was on his terms.
There were genetic problems as he just didn't have any expression in his eyes ( that's scary)
The behaviourist reckons he was bred just for the coat and temperament just didn't come into it.

I just wished that the previous owners who dumped him at the rescue had been honest.
I dread to think what could have happened if we had children in the house.

To this day my GSD hates the white ones Laughing Laughing Laughing
Gwen
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes I've known GSD's that would bite a clicker, spit it out & pee on it!!!
Oooh am I allowed to say pee here?

Hope you can help this poor dog when you go and see these people John.
Lindy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope this afternoon went well?

I am not reall 100% on the behaviourist thing I know that some are in it for the right reasons and know their stuff but I is so easy just to go and get a qualification so you can go out and charge people a fortune, I'd much rather speak to people I know have dogs and lots of experience with them.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lindy,

yes this afternoon went well.........seems to be a pack order issue...not a reason to get rid of a dog!

Kenneling /crating the pup when needed will help I believe.....food guarding is an issue but she backed down when I corrected her for it ( sharp tug on a flat collar).
She is a dog with a strong working drive and instinct.........needs a firm hand to thrive..then will be a great dog.

no one can sort a problem on the phone and certainly not suggest a life changing decision when making a telephone diagnosis
Lindy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thas great John hopefully they will follow your advice and have a lovely balanced and happy dog. As you know I have had a few issues with Dora no agression but not coming back and playing up in the house wanting out every 15mins and it was because she didn't see me as boss and decided she would get me to do what she wanted, it takes tones of patience and you have to be consistent but it works, mind you she is still cheeky and suborn but thats just her nature wouldn't change her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: