Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
crate training and learning them to be on their own
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwen
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the terms Crate or Cage have become Americanised over the years.
Besides a crate sounds more user friendly than a cage Laughing
I have visions of poor zoo animals when I think of a cage.

Crates weren't that popular when we got Blue 9 years ago and the plan was that he slept in the kitchen at night.
Our other dog at the time slept in our bedroom Laughing Laughing
Blimey the first night Blue howled & cried. I never knew such a little oh I swore could make such a din.
I gave in and he's slept in our bedroom since.

Back in March though we moved from a bungalow into a house and he's scared of the stairs.
He now sleeps downstairs with Sadie LOL
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think it matters what you call it cage, crate, bed or whatever the main things is that you use it properly and with the advice from the forum I'm sure Kerry and Paul will do great. The other thing to remember here is that just as Sheryl and Fiona said this form is to help all of us and not to criticise or force our opinons onto each other, if we RAW feed, dry feed or whatever feed it is each and everyone's individual choice and we will give our advice and support and let people take from it what they want. I'm sure everyone who posts is only trying tp help but it may be wise to read over what you write to make sure it comes across well. especially in my case as I am always spelling things worng!!!!
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm terrible for that Lindy then I have to go back in and edit it by which point 5 or 6 people have already read it! ha ha ha

xx
kerry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Puppy "CAGE" Training Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone who helped out, i know we just have to stick at it and we will see results Smile hopefully he learns quick.

Also i like to refer to it being a crate as the term cage to some sounds cruel, so to me it is crate, but it doesnt really matter what i call it, as long as we don't abuse it. we would never put him in it to punish him, every time he goes in it we try to be a positive as can be, and every night since we have had him he has slept in it at with not much moaning. We do our best to ignore the crying letting him settle down eventually but here might be a silly question, how to you praise him when he settles down as you are trying to not disturb him to sleep?

he is still a young puppy at only 11 weeks old so we give him treats and lots of praise when training him, but everyone trains their dog differently, as everyones dog doesn't think and act like the next.

to quote the line
Marie & Norman every ones wrote:

Please remember you are trying to train a pet or a domestic dog and you should avoid comparing it to the habits of wild dogs.

i don't understand what your getting at here, but i do thank you for your information. The dog we have is a husky and most breeders that we spoke to couldn't tell you enough that a husky is a challenge who can have a mind of his own and that his call of the wild can be stronger than in most breeds, and his behavior is as close as it would have been at his roots. He need to be constantly motivated and our dominance has to be strong as he is a very pack orientated dog who will prob always be looking for a weakness in us.

He does like his crate just not being left alone Sad
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 weeks and cheeky if hes anything like my two only problem is mine are a year and a half now and there still as daft as a brush!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

I wouldn't praise him at that point personally I would just leave him if hes going to sleep however if hes awake (during the day) and goes into the crate himself and plays about in there himself or whatever that's when I would be giving it 'good boy' in the little cutzy wootzy voice that everyone puts on when there talking to puppy's! Cool Laughing

xx
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys you sound as if you are doing fine with what you have decided on so far, just keep the common sense hat on when taking up advice and tailor it to suit you and your lifestyle. Can we have some pics of koda??? I love huskys in fact any dog really
kerry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh he is def a cheeky one, learning the act of i cant hear you Smile but yesterday was our first accident free day with him, he does learn quick, but has no attention span, chasing the cats is more fun. Having trouble stopping him running at them as he still tries to play with his mouth and dont want him hurting them.
kerry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`ll try post a few pictures of him later on if i get the chance. people say he looks evil in his pictures because of his eyebrows and his blue eyes Smile so i`ll try to take a non evil looking picture of him.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think that's just a male thing in general!!! Laughing

Its kinda just like a baby when they get something the first place it goes is there mouth. but all play should stop at this point, however ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh (don't tell) but I let my two play fight with me and they nibble at my ears and I nibble at there's.

Keano and Coby are both quite good at when the fight is getting to aggressive they both lie on their backs. This doesn't happen whens its a 'real' fight going on! UNFORTUNATLY!!!)

Yeah Lindy's right sounds like you are both doing a great job! Credit to you both!!! Very Happy
xx
kerry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a male thing Smile Last time when i stopped play due to his biting he barked at me a few times to play then just chased his tail. he made his own fun. he is def going to be a handful Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Puppy "CAGE" Training Reply with quote

Marie & Norman Scoon wrote:
The word "CRATE" would appear to have replaced the correct term "CAGE".

Most manufacturers advertise these as 'crates'........I use them to restrict the dogs movement when needed and to transport them safely in the back of my transit van

The dog owned by Kerry & Paul is presently 11 weeks old and I believe in this instance treats are an appropriate way of encouraging the crate/cage to has a positive association for the dog

Marie & Norman Scoon wrote:
Please remember you are trying to train a pet or a domestic dog and you should avoid comparing it to the habits of wild dogs.

Domestic pets have several instincts that we cannot get away from. Some breeds more than others.........Huskies more than most other breeds.

If as the dogs human 'alpha' ( pack leader) we are lacking in leadership the dog will not resort to behaving like a perfect pet because he/she believes they are a domestic dog...........quite the reverse they obey their instincts and behave more like a wolf or wild dog.....hence if left unchecked an 11 week old Husky, cute as he is, will quickly become a 6 or 7 stone 'wolf' in a house.

Far too many dogs are re-homed or destroyed because people forget that if allowed to any dog to a greater or lesser degree will resort to doing what their instincts tell them. In some this may not be a problem......in most it will be.

I firmly believe that Kerry and Paul have clearly taken on ownership of Koda with their eyes open and are looking for advice as to the best way forward.

The beauty of this forum is that if you don't know the answer to a question.....you can ask and hopefully someone will be able to offer advice through personal experience .
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Kerry & Paul

crate training can be a very slow process, it's good that you are taking the crate into your room at night, this will make him feel safe knowing you are there to protect him. You can gradually move the crate nearer the door and eventually outside the bedroom if sleeping in your room is a temporary measure, this can be done over a few weeks.

Koda must view his crate as a positive safe place to be Smile

Lindy suggests the Kong - I agree with this toy 100%, put some of his daily food allowance mixed with either a little grated cheese or a little cooked mince (browned in a little water only, no seasoning), or a little cooked chicken (basically something tasty that won't upset his tummy Crying or Very sad ) - I wouldn't recommend raw mince for a young puppy. Once food is inside cover the hole with either a little soft cheese like dairylea or peanut butter to keep the food from falling out. Try putting him in his crate with a kong is when he peckish and close the door over, gradually increase the time the door is closed over for and he feels happy to be left. Try not to pack the kong too tightly so he can get it out while he is learning.

Crates are great when you need to put your puppy somewhere to be kept safe when you cannot pay him attention, but not ideal for long term use during the day, puppy pens are better if you have the space as these give the puppy plenty of walk about space with a place to toilet.

Kong recipes are available on canine concepts web site Rolling Eyes

Eleanor
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what I would have done without the crate or "your bed" as it's now called. It gives us peace of mind when we're not there or in bed that Otto's calm and safe.

He took to it straight away cos he'd been used to a puppy pen at the breeders, though I had to get in first to show him

We had him in the bedroom the first 2 nights, then in the hall and after a week in the kitchen. First night he barked for 90mins before we gave in. Next night, he barked for 4 hours solid before going to to sleep and we stuck with it. It was awful, but it worked.

Since then he's been fine and has been dry every night bar one. What's quite funny is that we have to both say goodnight to him or he barks until the other one comes down. I should probably just ignore him as it's just a habit we've got into, but has become the "go to sleep" routine and works.

Odd occasion, he barks in the night when I usually go and see what's up (usually just needs a pee) and he settles back down.

I find if I'm upstairs, if I leave him in he's calm, if I just leave him in the kitchen he barks and whines for me to come back - or jumps the baby gate and comes to find me. He also goes in it when we're having our tea.

All I have to say is "in your bed" and in he goes. Very Happy Smile
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think Gypsy has hit the stroppy teenager stage, some times when i tell her to go to bed she just sits and looks at me. Inca on the other hand goes before iv even told her.

but if Inca is in on her own she will sequel the whole time, we have still not been able to stop that, but she isn't in on her own to often.

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:

We had him in the bedroom the first 2 nights, then in the hall and after a week in the kitchen. First night he barked for 90mins before we gave in. Next night, he barked for 4 hours solid before going to to sleep and we stuck with it. It was awful, but it worked.

Suzanne,
your second night was worse..........because your reaction to his first nights barking got him the attention he wanted........so he simply barked again because that had already worked for him..they learn how to train their owners very quickly.

Having read a few of your posts you seem to have set the rules,limitations and boundaries early and will reap the rewards with a happy contented dog who is relaxed and secure within his family pack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: