Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
GSD Breeder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Bargain Buys & Other Recommendations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: GSD Breeder Reply with quote

can anyone advise of a reputable german shepherd breeder preferably short haired, who has puppies for sale just now or in the next few weeks.

thanks

monica
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Monica,

I don't know of anyone with pups at the moment.......however I would say to you to checkout any pups parents.........you will get lazy, laidback GSD's that make great house dogs or high drive working type dogs that need a firm hand to get the best from them .and check out the hip scores.............GSD's are prone to hip problems......a reputable breeder will not breed from a dog that has joint problems...........this is very easy to forget when looking at an adorable puppy.

A lot of the dogs characteristics will come from the parents.......it is all down to what you want from your dog.

Best of luck.

john
graceb
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its definitely best to check out both parents. I think that a lot of the problems I have with Dexter is down to his mothers temperament. I dont think that his mum was ever socialized properly, and has an aversion with most strangers. Basically wants to eat them Twisted Evil And I would also say that she was very dominant. Shame really as I think if she had been brought up correctly she would have been a great dog. She is actually very affectionate and very willing to please, keen to work.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graceb wrote:
Yes its definitely best to check out both parents. I think that a lot of the problems I have with Dexter is down to his mothers temperament.

Particularly with 'working ' dogs you NEED to know what kind of pup you are taking on..........high drive is great if that is what you want and are expecting............if not it can be a nightmare.

I know of one bitch who came from the same breeder as my Murphy who was PTS because the owner could not contain or more accurately would not do what was needed to keep the dog in check....so she ran riot and was destroyed............clearly the pups this breeder turned out were high drive and not for the fainthearted ( the owner in question has had /gsd's for over 40 years.........he asked my advice but would not take it.........he though killing a dog was better than a prong collar to keep it in line Shocked

Murphy is a great dog............but those who know him will tell you how dominant he is.......keep him in check and he is fine.....otherwise he would run amok.
monica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your help and advice so far its invaluable - feel as if i have learned so much today just by being logged on to the forum!!!
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have another PM

now with details of someone that can hopefully help thumbleft
Lindy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good advice checking out the line (parents, grandparents) is essential and it will let you know what kind of dog to expect. I never checked out the parentage of my dog Dora alothough I knew they were both working dogs it never crossed my mind she would have the same drive, man was I put in my place, she is 3 now and I have her in check and know how to control the situation but as John will tell you sometimes it doesn't go to plan like yesterday and I have to go look for her as she is away hunting rabbits or similar, she was gone for about an hour yesterday. Shocked
Dan McK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice to follow, but still remember there are NO guarantees! Dogs are like people in that they all have their own personalities, whatever you end up with you have to work with!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Bargain Buys & Other Recommendations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: