Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
first time at a new groomer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: first time at a new groomer Reply with quote

on Wednesday Gypsy and Inca are going to a new groomer. I'm very nervous about it as i don't know how he will cut them.

i also know that Gypsy is getting snappy when she is being groomed. i know that as a groomer he will have had worse dogs than her, but i am still going to suggest to him that he might want to muzzle her. as i have had to do it when working on her tummy and back end, i need to get my mum to hold her when I'm clearing her anal glands as she tries to turn on me. (cant blame he though)
its surprising how much of a difference it makes during that short period of time.

Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal

ask him to describe exactly what he is going to do just in case you don't agree, you know how some girls get really upset if their hair isn't to their liking Crying or Very sad

as for the snapping, you should start working at desensitizing her being touched/handled where she is not comfortable, but take it really slow with treats and lots of praise, you'll be amazed at the difference

good luck with wednesday - post some pics

Eleanor Smile
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
he said he will cut them the way we want as long as he thinks it is possible. i have taken the day off work so i can ask him if he can do what i want.
as for the snapping she doesn't do it when your just petting her its only when brushing her, as she can get very tuggy particularly on her tummy where her fur is really fine so i am going to ask him to shave her tummy where the fur is fine, it is so fine that the fur is hardly visible so she shouldn't look odd Confused Rolling Eyes i hope. then there is her anal glands when she really whips round to get me. Confused

kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal

Anal Glands???? I have heard of people doing this cleaning. Why? Should I be doing it? if so I think I will stick to my goldfish Shocked
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing I can't see Big Bob letting you near there Kirsty! Laughing Laughing Laughing
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never done our lot, my mum never done any of hers, in saying that my nana's Schnautzer needed done regularly, which to my dis gust my mum would do puke
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found this on the net, i don't know how it is affected by the raw diet that are their poos like when they are on raw.

Anal gland problems occur when our pet’s feces is too soft, and while passing through the glands, do not empty them completely. If the glands produce too much liquid, it can thicken and clog they will become clogged. Dogs and cats have two anal glands beneath the skin near their anus. You will know that your pet is having a problem when they begin to lick themselves frequently and attempt to drag their bottoms along the floor. Luckily for you, this is a situation that you can look after at home! However, if the glands have become infected, which would include signs such as, the glands themselves appearing red or discolored, the animal experiencing severe pain, developing a fever, loosing their appetite and becoming lethargic, it is at this point that you need to get some immediate medical help.

Here’s how you can clean out the glands yourself. Enlist the help of another person to help hold the pet and make sure that you both change into some old clothing and wear some disposable gloves. Use an old blanket or sheet to lie underneath the animal as the material that is removed from the anal glands will be smelly and can cause stains on carpets etc. Clip away any long hair beneath the tail so that you can see what you’re doing. With one hand, lift the tail way up over the animal’s back so that you can expose the glands (these will be located at 5 and 7 o’clock positions on the anus). You will be able to feel if they are full. The ducts that will actually empty the glands are located a little bit higher at 4 and 8 o’clock. In a milking type fashion, use your thumb and forefinger to squeeze the glands in a C-shaped sweeping movement. The fluid will probably be a dark brown to clear color, however if it is yellow or blood tinted, it is likely that your pet has an infection and should see a veterinarian immediately.
After you have finished, sooth your pet’s anal area by applying a warm, wet cloth to it. Once the cloth cools, warm it again with water and repeat the process for at least ten minutes at a time, three times per day.

In an effort to eliminate problems of impacted glands, there are a few changes that you can make to your pets regular diet. Increase their fiber intake by adding Metamucil to the food. You could also offer your pet some fresh vegetables such as Carrots, Cabbage or Celery. However, you should be aware that increasing the fiber in your pets daily diet will in addition to helping them express or clear their anal glands, also increase the size of their droppings.

i do this when they are getting bathed so that it it gets washed away and i can wash off any that has gotten on there fur.
but the gloves are a good idea especially if you are a groomer as when I'm at work and I'm washing dogs it can make your hand smell Shocked depending on how bad there glands were not nice should really think of a different carer path Laughing

kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god!

I will keep this article incase I ever have to use it but I hope not Shocked
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal,

a raw diet with plenty of bone content actually produces firm stools which turn to powder after a couple of days......too firm give them less bone .....too soft give them more bone.
I would think a balanced raw diet would help this problem. It would be interesting to find out when this 'anal gland' problem started to appear in pet dogs?...........and when complete diets arrived.....just a thought.
Isabel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a lovely job!! Shocked
kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal - good luck with Gypsie and Inca today - Im sure they will turn out lovely.
kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal - got my days mixed up - I think its tomorrow
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got me confused there i thought i had missed a hole day Laughing Laughing

StuartW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I've dealt with my fair share of unpleasant bodily fluids as a nurse, I really hope Doogle's glands never need such close attention. Just as well he has an extended family, eh Auntie Kendal? Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just kidding (of course) Wink

Hope Gypsy and Inca get on well at the groomer. flower
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: first time at a new groomer Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
on Wednesday Gypsy and Inca are going to a new groomer. I'm very nervous about it as i don't know how he will cut them.

i also know that Gypsy is getting snappy when she is being groomed. i know that as a groomer he will have had worse dogs than her, but i am still going to suggest to him that he might want to muzzle her. as i have had to do it when working on her tummy and back end, i need to get my mum to hold her when I'm clearing her anal glands as she tries to turn on me. (cant blame he though)
its surprising how much of a difference it makes during that short period of time.

Kendal don't worry any more. The groomer is excellent. I would even say that he is one of the best. I always took Moli and she would go really knotted at times. He is really good with the dogs. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: