Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
To rehome or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Rehoming/ Lost Dogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma*
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: To rehome or not? Reply with quote

Well i have been away for the week visiting family and since i have been away the girls have had really bad bowels 3rd time in 2 weeks!! John is not impressed!! New blinds on order, curtains ruined. Lets just say the dining room was covered in dog poo!!!!!
Then there was the destruction of Joshua's shoes. Then Lady chewed one of the swings, along with jessicas bike handles, her little tikes car and the seesaw. I have several man size trenches in the garden that i keep refilling and they keep digging up Rolling Eyes Skye has started to get very dominant with Lady and Lady has started to growl at her when they are eating Confused

Then there is the case of the new stairs carpet, i am thinking about going back to work full time and even though the girls are getting at least 1 big walk aday and free reign of the garden, they are becoming ever more destructive and although i realise they are still young it is causing rifts in the family.... Sad

I really don't know what to do, John is at the end of his tether with the girls and it is causing tension. I have thought about rehoming but i just can't face the thought...... Any suggestions?
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as though they are bored. Is there no one can help out with extra walks during the day?

How about having them in pens??

Rather than the run of the house, why dont you restrict them to one room but have plenty to keep them amused eg toys with treats hidden in them chew bones etc.

Why not even engage a dog walker. I know this can work out a little expensive but if it lets you keep the dogs it might be worth it.

Good luck.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things getting that bad Emma?
kirsty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma

If the dogs are not fitting in with your lifestyle it is best to rehome...If you go back to work full time are the dogs going to be in all day.

Think about what is actually best for the dogs.

You will feel worse about the rehoming than they will, dogs live in the now and if they are rehomed into good homes will settle very quickly and may end up happier if they have new owners who can give them serious one to one time.

I know exactly how you are feeling, I have had my cat for 13 years and the very thought of letting her go is stomache churning....but it I could find the right owner for her I would let her go tomorrow as she is not having a good life here with the two boys. I have been trying to find a place for her for months now.

If there is a strain, the dogs will sense this and also your frustration.

best to let them go if you no longer have the lifestyle or passion for them.

I really feel for you on this one. Whichever decision you make will be the right one Crying or Very sad
Emma*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Things getting that bad Emma?

I don't know if it is the food or what but they keep getting really bad runs this last 2 months vet said might be dodgey food. Things are very full on with Josh at the moment and i am feeling that 1 walk a day isn't enough for them, i am lucky to have a really big garden for them to play in but it seems more so Lady is intent on destruction Confused They have bones, kongs, given up on toys as lady destroys them instantly!

John is getting really annoyed with them and he has had enough, im gutted but am wondering if re homing is the best option. I figure if they are like this with me in all day what will they be like if i start back work ........ Confused

Kirsty i totally agree with you, the dogs prob wouldn't be bothered but i would be gutted but like you say it is not about me. I need to have a good think about what is best for the girls............ Crying or Very sad
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly sounds like they have plenty energy.....they are big girls and need plenty of structured exercise.

I know you like feeding them raw but if that is causing a problem then a switch of food has to be a sensible idea.......it would also let you know if that is the cause of stomach problems
Emma*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been fed tonight after going 24 hrs again. Have just cooked plain pasta and cooked meat, fingers crossed. it is the destructiveness of them together that is causing the problems and i have have just split them up again fighting over who licks the bowls!!!
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about you Emma Sad

Having my own special problems with Hektor at the moment.

I've ended up feeding Hek and Ollie in separate rooms to cut out the stress (NOT a solution I know but Ollie wont be around forever Sad and I think its him that starts it)

I wish I could offer a more practical solution but with a wonky knee and enough challenges of my own with Hek, I cant help with walking, sorry.

I hope things improve for you xx
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma,

I really really feel for you, this is an awful predicament to be in. Loving your girls so much and wanting only the best for them. We'd all like it if our pets were perfect, sadly some are intent on pushing us to the limits.

I definately think the first thing you have to work upon is their diet. Find the trigger for their tummies then totally exclude it forever - no exceptions. With one headache down you can work on the rest bit by bit and every hurdle you overcome will be a massive achievement for you and make the girls more of a pleasure to have with you that the whole family can enjoy rather than argue over. If you have to feed them seperately and give them their individual treats apart for their safety and the sake of a happy home then so be it. I HAVE to do that with my girls, it works perfectly for us so we stick with it and everyone, including our dogs are happier for it.

If they can't share toys and play with them together then introduce a "no toy" rule unless YOU are there playing with and supervising them.

Being such large dogs and very intelligent they will need lots and lots of excercise and stimulation, with your future plans this is going to be tough for you - whichever way you choose you will question your decision - but I am sure I will speak for all your friends when I say that they will support you whatever you decide. IF you keep the girls it will be tough BUT if your whole family pulls together I am sure you will either win the day and turn those girls into the pleasant companions they should be OR know you did your absolute best and tried absolutley everything before deciding to let go.

I'd just like to wish you all the luck in the world whatever you decide.x
Emma*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lisa and Jack. The thing is their diet hasn't changed. They are only raw fed bones and meat, so unless i have a dodgey batch of meat i don't know what it is. I am the family Laughing i have to do everything in my house 3 children and 2 dogs! Its called a womens life Laughing

My family have all spoken to me about the girls and are all pushing me to rehome them, which although it makes sense is making me very upset and angry, i feel i have let them down.

ARRGGGHHH!!! I am going to ring the vet tomorrow to see if i can push to get Lady's eyes corrected sooner at least then if i rehome her, her entropian will have been corrected...
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma* wrote:
I am the family Laughing i have to do everything in my house 3 children and 2 dogs! Its called a womens life Laughing

My family have all spoken to me about the girls and are all pushing me to rehome them, which although it makes sense is making me very upset and angry, i feel i have let them down.

I totally sympathise! Now that I work from home I think I am busier! I dont know how I physically fitted working in before?
I think it's a fallacy that you can have it all...not without guilt anyway...
You can only do your best, its a decision only you (and John) can make, dont be pushed into it by anyone else
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma* wrote:
Thanks Lisa and Jack. The thing is their diet hasn't changed. They are only raw fed bones and meat, so unless i have a dodgey batch of meat i don't know what it is. I am the family Laughing i have to do everything in my house 3 children and 2 dogs! Its called a womens life Laughing

ARRGGGHHH!!! I am going to ring the vet tomorrow to see if i can push to get Lady's eyes corrected sooner at least then if i rehome her, her entropian will have been corrected...

As regards the food, it might just be one type that has this effect on them. Chicken whether raw or cooked is banned from our lots diet as it's squit city here if they have even the tiniest bit so it might be worth trying to exclude that and see if it has any effect.

Good luck with everything.........including training that hubby of yours to muck in! Wink
Magz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma sorry to hear your having a bad time of it, I have been knee deep in squit city at one time with one of my fosters and had to face the wrath of my darling hubby on many occasion due to the mess and the smell. I would suggest perhaps moving away from raw as for a while as perhaps it is becoming to rich for them, why not try james wellbeloved, thats what Cassie is on and as long as we don't deviate it keeps the runs at bay for her, otherwise it would be awful to live with her and a runny bum.

as far as going back to works concerned it would be a hard thing for you and your dogs to have to go through with thier current state of mind so my only suggestion really is sit back and take stock of the situation, dogs are dogs at the end of the day and yourself and your family come first. It is heart breaking but worth it for the dogs should you be unable to hold onto them because your situation has changed it is best to keep the stress to a minimum.

god listen to me mrs living in limbo at the moment, I am lucky enough that I am around the girls all the time and they are actually calm and happy most of the time just now but if their moods where to change I would be rehoming them to have a happier life than I myself could provide, its not that I am a horrid uncaring person, it is the complete opposite I care so much about all my four legged family that I couldn't bare seeing them unhappy or becoming destructive out of boredum.

if you want a chat honey you know where I am.
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on what happened with Emma's girls???

Emma, if you are reading this and still have them, how are they? What have you done to try and improve things? Sussed out the trigger for their tums yet?

Kirsty.....Any luck with your old puss cat?

Hope it was/is a happy ending for you all.x.
Emma*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma is still around.....Just!! Sorry not been around for a while a close family member is still seriously ill in hospital but showing all be it small some improvement after 2 weeks....

Anyway the girls are still here i have collapsed the crates and touch wood nothing has been eaten. Their food hasn't changed but i am partially cooking it and i am looking to switch them to the local abattoir meat then i know it is fresh. No squits for a while thank god and they are settling down loads since being out of the crates.....

All in all the girls are happy and so am i!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Rehoming/ Lost Dogs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: