Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Crate - how long?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Crate - how long? Reply with quote

How long should you keep the crate on the go?

Otto has been crated since day 1, and while he's getting a bit big for it he still has room to stand up and turn around and stretch out. And he has no issues with it - just sleeps. But he probably could do with a bit more room.

I also read a Q&A in a dog magazine which indicated that at 18 months a dog shouldn't need a crate.

If left to his own devices during the day (ie when teenager glued to Bebo) he is fine - just potters about or sleeps.

He's never been a destructive dog, but then he's always been in the crate when on his own. although he chews anything you leave on top of if ie his collar, a towel.

I did think about leaving him in at night with the door open but restricted to the kitchen to see what happens. I've left him out of it while I went to the shop and he was fine. Just short times out of it to see what he does??
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're doing great as you are. Little and often and build up the time he is left alone gradually to see how he goes. Leave the crate door open so he can go in there if he pleases and put anything you don't want him to chew out of reach.

I personally don't agree that dogs above 18 months should not be crated. Some dogs can remain a problem if uncrated all their lives. Some stay destructive, some (such as mine) MIGHT fight if left unattended. For safeties sake I continue to crate mine when I am out of the house, I won't take any risks with them. They all get on incredibly well all of the time now they have all been "done" and when treats aren't involved but I'm here overseeing them, I wouldn't wish to take the risk of leaving them together in my absence. Plus I have the cats to consider. Ella would not tolerate them if I wasn't here especially George my huge white Persian. He has this nasty bullying streak about him sometimes and she wouldn't stand for it.
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to always use the crate with my two. Holly was 1 year old last week, and Murphy is over 2 and a half years old.

They both like their crates as well... its their little safe place. If they are in the crates then no one bothers them!

For me its not a case of 'needing' a crate.. its just something i like and it fits in with me and my two better. I think it might be different with two. I dont want Holly bothering Murphy if he doesnt want to play, and vice versa whilst im out. I also know that if they are in there then there really is no way of them eating something they shouldnt or chewing on anything (even though they havent done anything of the sort to date).

I think its down to individual choice! Some people use them every time theyre out and at night, and others have them around for the dogs to use as and when and others dont use them at all! Very Happy
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's reassuring.

I've always been of the view that it's better to keep them in there than let them teach themselves bad habits.

And he will chew some things if he finds them eg hoover attachments, underwear and his lead. So am not entirely convinced he'd wouldn't get up to mischief.

I think he would probably be ok for short periods.
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point that Ashley. My dogs consider their crates their safe place too. They go there of their own accord when they need a rest, some time out or at treat time. Works for them just as much as it works for me. Wink
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suzanne i use my all the time! for sleeping at night ..........when i go out to shop/school run whatever!

my tow regard it as their place and i have no intentions of having them out of it! it is here for keeps!

i first used a crate over 20 years ago and was told i was cruel but i had a puppy who chewed everything and it was the best place for her! it then became he bed and she went to it of her own accord!

if you and otto are happy then don't change it!.......in my mother's words ...'if its not broke don't fix it!'
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice there, thanks. It was some doggy magazine and the guy said "No adult dog should be in a crate" which just worried me...although I don't deem Otto to be an adult dog anyway, he's still an adolescent.

But there is nothing coming over him being in there. Longest he's in there is 4 hours except at night, and that's usually the max every day given we have someone at home. We don't hear a peep out of him at night.
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Janis says, if it ain't broke don't fix it. His happiness counts most not what someone in a magazine thinks! Wink

If it works for you all stick with it, changing his routine could be confusing and disruptive for him. I only posted guidance for IF you decided to try and wean him off the crate. It's not something I would personally do as we are all happy with the crates and their use in this house - if you're all happy then stay as you are.x
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it suits you and Otto then I would keep it...the greyhound people on the greyhound forum I go on all crate their adult greyhounds, not all the time but what we are talking about a few hrs here and there

My mum put away Daka's crate last year and daka missed it for ages after it, she liked to go in there out the way.

I personally wont use a crate all the time but with 4 dogs and a wee house I couldnt do it but i think if it fits in with your way then i do not see any problems at all Smile
geri carroll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orla is now 18mnths and still in her crate at night and when we are out.
she shows no sign of disliking it, often goes there during the day of her own accord to sleep

besides i now need it to put my washing baskets on Laughing
Helen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I don't like crates, however I have to admit that they do have their uses. We never had any bother with our two girls and were naive enough to think that Harvey would be the same as he had the other dogs for company Confused Not so, he had separation anxiety big time. The worst came last Christmas when I had spent a very tiring Christmas Eve shopping, came home to absolute devastation. You couldn't see the floor Shocked Anything he could shred, was shredded. He had also got a packet of duracell batteries - goodness knows where from and we had no way of knowing if he had chewed/ingested any. I just turned on my heel, went straight out to the car, had to take him with me - goodness knows what else he would have done, went straight to the nearest PetsatHNome - some 25 miles away and bought a crate.

Now I always said that once he came to about 18 months or so I would try to wean him off it so I did, started off leaving the door open, going out for short periods, gradually lengthening the times, then took the crate down, left a bed in its place, went out for short periods, gradually lengthening the time and happy days. No more crate Very Happy I got my room back Very Happy
The crates can go into storage, as we sometimes stay at my parents, they had to have a crate too Laughing

Helen
lynn 01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I could not live without the crate. Bubbles loves her crate and I know that she is happy and secure and I will be returning to the house the way I left it. If she was not crated when I go out I would return to complete devastation.

When I first got Bubbles she wrecked my newly decorated hall including digging a hole in a wall all the way to the outside brick !!!!!!!!!!!!! I still love her though and our lives have been much better since the crate came on the seen. I have a nice big pink one which has a single sized duvet cover in it and her toys. I always make sure there is fresh water in the dish which hangs on the side.

I have also recently been advised to buy a travel crate for the car as I take her to work and although during the summer it has been fine leaving her in the boot with quilts etc (I`m nightshift ) I was concerned about the winter months. I was told to get a travel crate and put a blanket over the top which will make a den and also keep the heat in the crate.

The size I will need to buy is about 4ft but she loves coming to work now
Helen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she is used to a metal crate I would tend to stick to them as the travel crates are very different. Not all dogs like them. Maybe you could "borrow" one first. You can have the same idea with a metal crate, use a double bed size blanket or summer weight duvet and cover all sides and top except the front of the crate to keep warmth in.

Helen
Janis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my daughter described it perfectly...............a crate is their bedroom! Very Happy

to me that is the best way to describe it!..............our two love their own space and it suits us!
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always dead set against crates - I considered them inhumane......until I got Ella Rolling Eyes I shudder to think of the damage she would do to the house and especially to the cats and the other dogs if she were left unchecked. She is THE most loving dog ever with humans but has a huge Alpha dog chip on her shoulder sometimes and I'm not prepared to risk ANY of my pets. I took them on it's MY job to keep them ALL safe and happy. The crates are an absolute godsend. Only the girls are crated and have been from day one with me. They LOVE their little beds and often sit outside them to go in of their own accord when they want time out. If they didn't like them then I'd rethink our arrangements but as they really LOVE them and go to them voluntarily when Mark & I are leaving the house and for treats it would be cruel to remove them now. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: