Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Mic took a bite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Mic took a bite Reply with quote

Dog Borstal was back on BBC3 last night.

This woman had a bearded collie which basically got to do what it wanted, and just when Mic thought it had passed, it bit him. (Was quite funny, just cos it was Mic and he was looking smug). She didn't carry on the training, you could tell.

Other woman had an English bull terrier who quite obviously thought she was a waste of space and ate burgers. The dog looked permanent stressed and wired - and improved a bit, but not much.

There was the parsons owner who's dog went for anything that moved (though the baby in the pram was an obvious set up). She wouldn't stop talking to him so he was totally immune to her voice. Turned him around though. Only one who passed.

I know it is harder for women to be in charge but it is invariably women who are on this programme.

It does really annoy me how funny these women thought their dog's behaviour was and that "they'd grow out of it" and that it was nothing to do with them - to me these dogs just looked stressed. IT'S NOT A CHILD. YOU CAN TELL IT WHAT TO DO. AND YOU CAN SAY NO!!!!
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this too, first time I'd watched it...was quite interesting.
Why would you feed your dog burgers? No wonder it was mad!

I've been reading the first Cesar Millan book this week, its really opened my eyes and I've been trying to 'read' Hektors energy and only rewarding him when I feel he is 'calm-submissive'. other wise ignoring him or enforcing commands... I feel he's improved slightly even after a few days...we havent met many dogs out on walks the last few days tho Wink

Kind of wish we werent going away this weekend...hope we wont be right back to square one after 4 nights in kennels Crying or Very sad
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started to follow his affection AFTER walk and food Cesar rule. Even though he was usually very biddable, Otto was jumping all over me when I got up/came home from work and it was getting worse. Even though I did ignore him, he'd get a clap when he calmed down a bit, but he wasn't totally calm...now he gets his cuddles when he is genuinely relaxed. BIG difference.

Said this before, but I think it is harder to handle a big/powerful dog if you're a woman because we can give off strange, changing energy to dogs. After a year of work hell, I am happier and calmer, and so are the simple creatures in the house ie the men and dog.

You're sitting there thinking "What a crap day"...the dog is sitting there thinking "Ha, few more weeks and I'll be in the bed and she'll be in the crate."

Laughing
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:

Said this before, but I think it is harder to handle a big/powerful dog if you're a woman because we can give off strange, changing energy to dogs. After a year of work hell, I am happier and calmer, and so are the simple creatures in the house ie the men and dog.

You're sitting there thinking "What a crap day"...the dog is sitting there thinking "Ha, few more weeks and I'll be in the bed and she'll be in the crate."

Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I SO agree...if Hektor is misbehaving, its usually because I am in the middle of some crisis or other. Though at the moment this seems to be ALL the time!
Maybe I should give HIM the red wine to calm him down...? Confused
geri carroll

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Louise13
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:

Said this before, but I think it is harder to handle a big/powerful dog if you're a woman

I am SOOOO glad my dogs don't know this..

I have big powerful dogs 2 of them and they KNOW I am boss and I can handle them well..in fact I don't trust anyone else with them..even my husband Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Louise 13. I have 3 big powerful big dogs and I am defo in charge of them. My boy is only 19 months and that is only half way for a Boxer but he just so knows what is and what isn't acceptable.

Helen

Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say women couldn't handle big strong dogs, I was just saying I can see why more women than men feature on these types of programmes.

And there are as many wee dogs on them as big dogs.
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones that make me laugh the most are the guys with the teeny dogs, they just haven't a clue and the dogs run rings round them Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: