Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Muzzle or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Muzzle or not? Reply with quote

Although Hektors aggressive behaviour to other dogs is improving slowly (though Grace and Dexter probably dont think so...sorry Sad ) I was pondering the idea of a muzzle for when we are at class and when trying to introduce him to other dogs again. My coping mechanism at the moment is avoidance (crossing the street or walking in a big semi-circle away round) unless I know the dog/owner and they are OK with him. I'm not sure what I think, but maybe it would give me a bit more confidence with him.

To be fair he hasnt ever connected with another dog, in fact the only fight he has had resulted in HIM being bitten!
I suppose I am concerned that people will have their fears reinforced, ...big scary black dog...oh my God...a muzzle!
Need to stop caring what other folk think..

Sad

Any opinions?
geri carroll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my only expertise is in having buddy a small aggressive border terrier
i have been helped by working out why he is aggressive-others have told me he is just establishing dominance therefore putting a muzzle on him did not help, as he did not feel able to defend himself.
i have realised that my own expectation of possible fighting has made me very anxious and tense, hence the dog also. turning in to the side or off the path when we see a dog approaching helps me relax, as i am also turning my back and avoid being embarassed as well
letting him off the lead in the dog walks and staying close to any new dog he may target to protect them has also helped
i have read some info on the Turgid Rugrass web site that has been useful

these are only my observations and i stress i am not in any way a dog trainer-speak to john or alan for good advice
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see Dog Borstal last night - they were mostly fixing problems of dog aggression or in the Beagle's case, people aggression. Three of those dogs had never been off the lead so must have had so much pent-up energy.
graceb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize Lisa, no harm done. have thought about the muzzle idea myself for Dexter (only for off lead)and was also worried that it would make people more afraid of him and also he would not be able to defend himself if he was attacked by another dog. I think you are probably doing the right thing, but I would say as well to check with John.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
Did you see Dog Borstal last night - they were mostly fixing problems of dog aggression or in the Beagle's case, people aggression. Three of those dogs had never been off the lead so must have had so much pent-up energy.

Keep forgetting its on Sad
Hektor does get off leash most days and to be honest probably behaves better, he walked round Croy last week with Murphy, Diesel, Bob and Dodge and Margaret's 2 GSD bitches and behaved really well. Before I had caught up with them he was off lead when we came across a large mixed pack with a dog walker. He lay down and let them all have a sniff, was quite submissive then when I walked past and called him he came right away. I only tend to let him off when I can see for quite a distance that there are no other dogs coming, as long as there are no other distractions he mostly comes back (not great I know!).

I dont think he is being dominant, its more being protective of me. He doesnt make any decisions at home for himself, not sure what else to do...I'd never forgive myself if he badly hurt another dog. When we come across other dogs on leash, I either keep moving, if I can give myself more space by crossing the road I do, or if i cant get more space I make him sit and block his view with my body while the dog goes past.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa it sounds to me that you are doing great with him - a massive improvement in his behaviour overall. He's getting there, don't beat yourself up - he's bound to forget himself now and again. At least you are trying every time you go out which is more than a huge number of dog owners do. Sounds as if Sherrifs' Murph & Dodge are a fantastic influence on him. If anything is going to help him these two will Wink

I'm not a fan of muzzles. I know of too many dogs that have been unable to fight back to protect themselves when attacked to recommend their use Sad

He sounds as if he's great with GSD's but may struggle with Rotties/others? Perhaps because he can't "read" them so easily? I think the only thing I would feel comfortable recommending to you is only let him off the leash when you are in the company of the likes of Diesel, Murphs, Dodge, Bob etc who all respond well and can teach him more how it's done. And practice recall when with them so that again he follows their lead when they do it right & gets rewarded for it. Then perhaps put in some intensive recall training first in your garden then when out and about when you are more confident he'll return to you every time and only when there are no distractions around - once you are more confident try when people/other dogs are far away and see if he responds as well - perhaps try one of those 30ft training leashes so that you still have ultimate control before you trust him fully?

Whatever you do please keep us posted of his progress - I love to hear how challenging dogs respond to their training and love to read the pride in yours & others posts when a break through is made Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, You are doing great. Just keep it up and he will be fine. He is still young and like any young male he can be pushy at times. Dodge will teach him manners.
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw Lisa im sorry to hear you're feeling like this Sad
I agree with what Geri has said though, and can see what she means.
I'm not a fan of muzzles but understand that they are necessary at times. Not sure if they are really necessary for Hektor just now though? I havent seen him for a wee while unfortunately but he just seems really excitable. It is more the fact that he is a big dog as oppossed to anything else, and Geri turning her back on people and dogs and facing the other way i think is a good idea. As Lorna said he'll just be pushy at times.
xxxx
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
After a fantastic walk last Thursday Hek put me on the floor at class . He was trying to get to John apparently. Think I will start to teach him 'slow' to try to ease off on the 100mph recall speed. Anything worth a try at the moment. I know he IS improving albeit slowly, I'm in no hurry, tho, just want a happy dog I can rely on to do as he is told. Have reinstated the school walk (knees much better and I am a bit more confident with dealing with him), passed 3 or 4 dogs and no major drama. Thank goodness he loves people, dont think I could cope with a human hater too!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their dogs got to do what they wanted including having 2 dalmations and a Sharpei sleeping in their bed every night because they "whine if we don't" or "he won't let me move him". They stopped all that, did all the basic commands and got the dogs respect, so the dogs knew to "leave it" with other dogs.

though they also sorted out which dalmation was more dominant which also helped.

The Dog Borstal geezers didn't deal with the dog aggression, they just went back to basics with heel, recall, leave it, which is what you're doing anyway.

But you don't see all the stuff they do so don't really know.
Emma*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear things haven't been going too well with Hektor Lisa but i think you have done an amazing Job with him!

Just keep doing what you are doing and you WILL get there in the end! Very Happy

x
lynn 01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa

I got a muzzle for Bubbles when she started to turn on me.I was advised not to let her run around off the lead with it on. When I muzzled her she would change instantly and even to an extent "go in the huff" . One day she even refused to move. I don`t use it anymore as I did not like the fact that she seemed to lose her character when it was on.

I hope everything works out for you and big heck
Gaelle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are doing well with him Lisa. When I saw you yesterday Hektor managed to pass another dog and be fairly close to us without any apparently major problems. I see a difference in him. Have faith, you're getting there. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: