Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
New Comer Looking for advice :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Say Hello To Everyone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: New Comer Looking for advice :) Reply with quote

Hello Everyone - I'm Lorraine,

I thought this would be the best place to start in asking for some advice and recommendations.
I don't as yet have a dog but would soon hope to rehome a rescue dog; however i work full time mon-fri in glasgow and therefore would be unable to walk my future doggy chum at lunchtimes. So i was wondering if anyone could possibly recommend a good and reliable dog walker within the cumbernauld area. I'm being sensible about this and thinking about all the eventualities, no walker means no dog sadly Sad

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Thanks,

Lorry
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lori, welcome.

I use the dog walker who advertises in the banner at the top of this page. Dont know if they can do it on a full time basis though as I only need the dog walking occasionally. you should give it a try.

The only thing Im thinking, and don't want to cause offense, will it be fair on a dog leaving them in all day apart from an hour of walking each day. Dogs are pack animals and really do not do well left alone for long periods.

I do dog rescue work and the only time we will release a dog is if the person is out for less than 4 hours each day.

There are probably exceptions to this....we have an older dog who is in kennels and has been there a long time...probably a warm home would be better than spending the winter in a cold kennel. he has arthritis and kennels over the winter will be cruel to him. and I am sure there are other circumstances where a good home would be a better option.

It just makes me really sad to think of a dog left in all day, especially a younger high energy breed.

Think about the breed and age of dog before you do this. and good luck with your re-homing.
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey welcome

kirsty offers some really good advice there. what kind of breed were you thinking of. even if its a wee Cross you can tell if its got collie or terrier in it which are usually high energy.

Lorry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for your info Kirsty.

Yeah, that's why i'm looking and thinking seriously about it at the moment before i commit to anything. I love dogs so much i wouldn't want them to be suffering in anyway.

I'd be looking to home a slightly older dog that didn't require alot of house training, maybe a greyhound. I have owned a bearded collie though my teenage years so i know what to expect!! well the way i see it is a nice warm home during the day surely can't be as bad as a cold and damp kennel all winter. I do have relatives in the area who would pop by and take it walks sometimes but i can't expect them to dictate their lives around mine so a dog walker might be required some of the time.
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you really are thinking about whats best for the dog. Very Happy what kind of hours do you work and how much walking would you be able to give him/her outside you working hours.

Lorry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kendal,

Thanks for your reply. i work 9-5 unfortunately, Other than that i'm pretty much free and usually out and about in the evenings/weekends walking, climbing or rollerskating which the dog would just love!! but i'm hoping my mum would do a bit of dog sharing with me so it wouldn't be on its own all the time. She loves the walking part but just can't be doing with the feeding/vets/toilet training etc which is why it'd be a perfect share deal!
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy you'v got this all planed out Laughing Laughing how long have you been in the planning stage.

Lorry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh for months now! lol. it's quite a commitment so i want to get it right!

Also just moved house last year, so now that all the diy and decorating is done i have a life again!
Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as i am the odd one out, my cat is lovely and was rescued but not good for getting exercise
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lorraine and welcome

lots of good advice and as kendal says a lot of doggies can have high drive............as a full time home mum i don't have this issue and i don't like the idea of a doggie being left however i am sure there is a way round it as there is nothing more rewarding than an animal be it dog or cat to greet you when you come home!

re-homing or rescuing is a great idea..........you could also consider a slightly older dog who doesn't require massive of exercise..................possibly an old retired lurcher whippet.

i must applaud you though for setting in place necessities for a dog before you get one!............where there's a will there's a way!
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorraine

there is a doggie day care in Cambuslang they will look after your dog all day if needed just do a google searchfor it
shirley c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a greyhound would be suited to this type of homelife, especially a retired racer.

They are usually in kennels with a small toilet area and get turned out in paddocks for a run about and stretch of legs for about an hour...depending on the kennels, so they are used to laying around and arent very 'busy' dogs, tho once you are home they will love the attention and will enjoy long walks if you want to give it to them

When we volunteered with the Retired Greyhound Trust, they did home to people who worked, as long as there was something planned for the likes of lunchtime exercise and toilet breaks, at lunch time they would really only need a short walk anyway as long as they got more at night

PM me if you need any other info or advice on greyhounds / lurchers
kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

was thinking about this in bed last night and came back on to post that a retired greyhound would be ideal as they really are couch potatoes Very Happy

but Shirley has beaten me too it and would be a good source of advice as she is our lurcher/greyhound expert on the forum.
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorraine, warmest of welcomes to you!

I'm going to buck the trend here a bit and say that I feel a dog who has a safe, loving, clean and warm home but is left for 8 hours a day but has companionship and love of an evening and weekends is vastly preferable to one being stuck in kennels almost 24/7 OR worse having a scumbag of an owner with it 24/7 that does nothing but abuse it.

When Mark & I got our first Staffie we both worked 9-5 and our girl was deeply adored and looked after because we spent every spare minute we could with her. We worked because we had to, to better ourselves and to ensure we earned the money we needed to look after her and ourselves properly. Thankfully Mark can now do much of his work from home or locally so our lot aren't ever left alone for any long periods on any day but not everyone is fortunate to have that lifestyle.

I deeply commend you for thinking this through so carefully - ANY dog would be grateful to have such a loving considerate owner - it may not be ideal to have to spend so much time apart but far better that than the many sad alternatives. Greyhound or whippet would be ideal as would a"lapdog" type breed - but be cautious as regards seperation anxiety issues. An older dog would be perfect as there's so many of them waiting for that special owner willing to take them on and look after them in their twilight years - the downside to that naturally is that those years will be short Crying or Very sad

I wish you all the very best in your search - good on you for thinking it through so carefully and for taking the time to ask about what would be best!xxxxxxx
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with jack's post.............a home is far better than kennels!

also sadly there is some dogs that come into care that cannot be split!............so therefore they would also have company through the day!

it's certainly worth thinking about!..............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Say Hello To Everyone All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: