Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
how has the Credit Crunch affected you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross/Ali
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: how has the Credit Crunch affected you? Reply with quote

ok, not a dog related post, but how many posts on here are!?? Confused Laughing

Been reading the papers, websites etc and following on from a similar post on another forum im a member of and am really interested (concerned) over the state of the economy.

These things happen in cycles, but as this is the first one to affect me as i have mortgage, cars, pets and Alison's shoe shopping habits to think of, its a sobering subject.

I was recently made redundant (April) and started pretty much straight away with a Global construction Management firm. As you know construction is slowing down so some of my colleagues on the sharp end of the Design and costing side have been winding down. Some are getting sent to Abu-dhabi and middle-east, but im relatively safe at the present. (fingers crossed).

Ive spend 2 days a week in Dublin and they are a step ahead of us as they have been in a recession for a few months - but everyone seems to be fairly positive.
Over here, everybody is on suicide watch - especially today with the railway strikes!

anyway, whats your thoughts/ concerns ? Do you see a huge difference in your day- to day life?

Discuss... Wink Smile
geri carroll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortunately i dont have to draw on any savings/investments at present and can just sit it out

i have cancelled a monthly payment into a stocks and shares isa-they sent me a letter expressing surprise Laughing

mostly i see that people dont seem to be able to sell their houses

the biggest effect on me is that it is too depressing to watch the news or read the papers
i also worry for people not able to heat their homes due to fuel costs
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say I am fairly concerned. High mortgage, relatively new business, dogs, cats, spiralling services bills, petrol, car tax, the list is endless

I haven't brought a new pair of shoes for about 2 years and I don't think I can hold out much longer Crying or Very sad

But hey, I have my health (ish) my loved ones and plenty to keep me busy so whatever comes, bad as it is, I know one way or another we'll deal with it and get through it. I refuse to lose too much sleep over something that is largely out of my control......that's the theory anyway! Very Happy
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to worry about it too much....though watching the news you would think the world is about to end and I feel the media are stirring everyone up into a frenzy.

I, like everyone else, have noticed the difference in fuel, heating costs, just got a letter in yesterday from Eon, with another hike in gas and electricity prices. we have a five year fixed rate mortgage at 4.5% and I am dreading this ending in 2 years.

What I find is I am using my credit card more as by the end of the month I am out of funds, I think petrol contributes to this and a marked increase in the price of fruit and veg etc. Quality food has rocketed in price. Have to take myself in hand after the wedding next week and budget better.

Lindsay and I are lucky we both work in the public sector so our jobs are as secure as anybodies can be at present, and we have enough to cover the bills, but definitely the luxuries like holidays etc are now being put onto credit card where as a couple of years ago we could just put the money by for a few months....but now no spare money...so yeah, I think we are definately feeling the pinch.

But what about folks on benefits or minimum wage or old folks on a state pension....jeez I think they are having to make choices about eating properly or heating their homes.....it is a worry.

Houses in our street used to sell in a few days or weeks....the for sale signs have been up for months now and I know some houses have been taken off the market....this is a worry for anyone who is forced to sell.
shirley c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im always skint anyway so cant see any change there Rolling Eyes

I am noticing stuff like food and fuel and I dread to think what coal is going to cost this winter, im ok just now as we have just started the fire and my coal bunker id full, but going to need to start buying it soon Sad

Me and Allan will just need to eat more pasta and rice, though its going up in price too Smile
I could live on pasta anyway....Allan couldnt, he needs MEAT Very Happy he is going to have to get out with gun, dogs or ferrets and catch us some food Laughing

We just bought our house last year, and as its an ex council, we have to stay here a few years yet so only worry is how the mortgage rates are spiraling Sad

And last of all I should have bought hay and straw for Jazz this summer as its going to be hell on hearth trying to get decent stuff at a reasonable price now Sad
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am trying not to panic about state of Economy. I packed in my Council job last Christmas to work for Colin's business and up til now have felt relatively safe...but, in the last 2 months 2 customers have gone into Administration owing us money and everyone seems to be taking forever to pay their bills! I know everyone is feeling the pinch but we are a small business with 2 other employees to think of...not to mention Hektor's food bills!

Our mortgage fixed rate ended in March and we have to pay out an extra £150 a month on the new rate...we were hoping to maybe move to a bigger house this year but there is NO way that's going to happen now.

We have also become obsessive about switching lights/appliances off to save energy...god knows what the bills will be like in a few months! I try not to take my gas-guzzling L200 pick up very far now...the cost of fuel would make you weep! Crying or Very sad
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog food just went up £5 a pack.

Weekly food bills are £30 more and our mortgage rate ended too so new one is more expensive.

Jobwise - double edged sword. I work in Higher Education so nice big pay rises this year, but they have to be paid for somehow!. Appears stable, but big changes are coming, cutbacks, new big boss - so am a bit concerned yeah.

However, I was lucky - managed to sell my flat at the right time so we have a bit put away for a rainy day.

Doesn't help having a 19 year old leech who thinks £20 a week is a contribution - he uses that in electricity having his TV on all night while he sleeps...so more pressure going on him to get a full time job in the current climate.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that everyone is feeling this now.........fuel, food , road tax.......everything seems to be going up.
I can't really see an end to it all Crying or Very sad There is only so much you can cut back!
Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we are all £1000 in debt to the goverment now
lynn 01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was already noticing things getting dearer a few months ago and started to draw in my expenses. I do the Avon and my sales have dropped by approx 60% so my commission is much less.

I work in Dunfermline so I am putting approx £50 of petrol in the car now per month than I was two/three months ago although I am not travelling any firther.

Then to cap it all off I "celebrated " working for HBOS for 33 years by getting the news that I may be made redundant and won`t know anymore until Christmas.

Like a lot of staff I invested my bonuses is the company and my shares are tied up for tax reasons so was unable to jump ship. This was supposed to be my retirement plan. I reckon I have lost £20k.

But hey. I have my health , my dog and some very very good friends. We will get by

Lynn
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a problem with the economy? Very Happy Everything is soooo expensive at the moment as well Evil or Very Mad The one good thing about the economic crisis at the moment is that people may re-think the way they live and stop living on credit, which is a good thing, I think we all want too much and pay for it tomorrow. No more easy money for us, doubt they'll be a bank left standing soon!!!

I feel sorry for families who are struggling to put food on the table and heat the house, prices have shot up.
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that we have had it far too easy up until now
with regards to shares, i had been considering to buy RBS shares yesterday, but was not quick enough off the mark.

John, I thought you'd have a conspiracy theory to go along with this Razz

Lynn, i feel so sorry for you. I have friends who have lost 5 times more than you on same share save but its all relative I suppose as they are senior directors with blue chip company.

Batten down the hatches people - rough times ahead!

bet you wish you were your dog - only worry is when you will get walkies and din dins
Laughing

It WILL pass over us all! just make sure you are all sensible.
check this out... http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/banks-to-lend-you-your-own-money-200810081308/
geri carroll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyn so sorry to hear you are definitely being made redundant. it must be such a worry.
In the end, something else will come up.
graceb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn sorry to hear you may be made redundant, I have been make redundant 3 times over the years, now I dont stay in a job long enough to be made redundant hehehe. I'm job hunting at the moment and its not easy as I'm limited to how many hours I can work as I cant leave Dexter too long himself. I'm just hoping it works out somehow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: