Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
WORMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amandawhitelaw
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: WORMS Reply with quote

How do you know if your dog has worms? Yoda is always wanting food day and night. She sits watching people eating and just the thought of going to the food cupboard and she salivates excessively. She does not care what the food is she will eat it. She eats anything from lettuce to scraps on the ground outside. Do you take a poo sample to the vets?
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really don't know amanda but i think you would see them in her poo and i have seen worms on the backend of my cat!

it could well be that she is just greedy!
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add i am probably odd but i worm my dogs monthly on a smaller dosage just so i know they are ok...............moreso because they are allowed to play with innes too!!!!
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks janis i worm yoda every 2 months. I have not seen any worms. I just think i worry about her to much.

thanks
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda I think you've just got a dog with a MORE than healthy appetite Laughing My Rosie would just keep eating til she popped too although there ARE things that she doesn't like. I don't allow "scrounging" though - if my dogs did it to excess they would be placed in another room while I ate so I could get some peace. Wink I think you are worming her enough most vets recommend every 3-6 months with a proper worming treatment (not Bob Martins or the like it's just not effective enough)....so I think she just LOVES food Very Happy
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:

it could well be that she is just greedy!

We had a lab while I was growing up that would eat ANYTHING! You would hear him sneaking downstairs to the kitchen in the middle of the night and hear a rustling noise which usually was him with front paws up on the worktop and him scoffing whatever he could get, usually a loaf of bread or a half pound of butter! He would have eaten until he burst too Rolling Eyes

Was nice seeing you (albeit briefly) at the Vets on Thursday Amanda. Yoda's looking well, sorry about Heks antisocial behaviour Embarassed
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you to lisa. I hope you were ok. poor hek
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have a lab who was the same.

It's a personal hate of mine having a dog watching me eat. Puts me right off, so Otto is not allowed to participate in it in any way. I am so harsh Laughing

He goes in his crate which is next to the table while we're eating. As a pup we shut the door, but we can leave it open now. He just has a snooze and shows little interest in our food because he's learned he gets fed afterwards.

He's not allowed to sit and watch us have a cup of tea and a biscuit. He has to lie on his cushion. And he never gets a "wee bit" of anything - so doesn't pay for him.

He gets very little human food and what he does get is in his bowl as part of his meal, but he's a counter surfer extraordinaire if I'm daft enough to leave it out. Who thought a dog could eat a pound of bacon whole!
colin
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: WORMS Reply with quote

amandawhitelaw wrote:
How do you know if your dog has worms? Yoda is always wanting food day and night. She sits watching people eating and just the thought of going to the food cupboard and she salivates excessively. She does not care what the food is she will eat it. She eats anything from lettuce to scraps on the ground outside. Do you take a poo sample to the vets?

Amanda

I believe that there are different types of worms but from first hand experience I can tell you you will know when Yoda has worms (or certainly the strain Buddy had).

When looking at his poo you could see them - in some cases they were still alive and moving - very clearly as they were quite long and looked like strands of spaghetti (in fact the first time I saw one I thought is was spaghetti that hadnt been digested properly).

I wouldnt hoof him down the vet right away. I am sure Janis could recommend something available over the counter (or maybe that was eye drops you were telling me about Janis Confused ) at the fraction of the cost of a vet.

As an aside Buddy had the worms when we collected him and has since been treated - so there is no need to avoid us at the class on Sunday Wink

Hope this helps Amanda.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: