Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Internet fraud
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Internet fraud Reply with quote

We've just had a call from our credit card folk, questioning an item that was purchased on the internet last night!

It wasn't us and it turns out our my card had been used fraudulently. Fortunately they noticed it, thought it strange and questioned it. Full marks to them!

I buy just about everything I can on line, always on secure sites.

We are extremely shaken by this as you can well imagine!
Magz
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is scary, I use the on-line shops alot also, makes you wonder, good thing is alot of the shops are now opting for a new way of secure purchasing where you have to link to your bank directly in order for your purchase to go through. Might make it more secure but these idiots always find a way don't they. Glad to hear a bank fraud team that are finely tuned but I would suggest going over your statements with a fine tooth comb. I used to work for a bank its amazing how people don't actually check statements until its to late. please folks always check and note down all your transactions on-line or otherwise and never let your card out of view.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of ours got a call from the Fraud Squad 2 weeks ago. He had been cloned.
His bank noticed a payment going to USA for £1 and found it odd and immediately suspected something was afoot and they reported it to the police. The bank and the Police watched to see what would happen............ next thing was a payment for £170 coming out ............... then they cleared his account of £7000!!!!
2 weeks after it happened they contacted our friend who was none the wiser......... (the bank had refunded his money right away) They told him what had happened.
His PC had been violated after he'd made a purchase to Amazon using a credit card (for some reason someone managed to intercept the transaction and got his details) and ALL his personal info that he'd kept in files on his PC had been accessed. His passport details, driving licence and bank account details were all taken! Shocked

It's really scary that things like that can happen.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I just ask how many of you guys have a decent firewall?
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run ZoneAlarm
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zonealarm is quite good!

A decent firewall like zone alarm or my-etrust security suite will block anyone attempting to access your pc.
Have bought a heck of alot on line, ran servers my home pc and other stuff and no one got onto my private files so far.

If you keep financial files on your pc which is connected to the net then you cannot have enough security on it.
Other option of course is to save your finance files to a flashdrive or a seperate pc so they not accessable via the net, but it still leaves you wide open for e-commerce transactions
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that organised to keep personal files on my pc anyway!!!! Laughing Embarassed
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Bullguard on all our computers and we thought it was excellent!

It's my card that was used! Full marks to HSBC who noticed the transaction and queried it immediately. They have stopped both our cards - fortunately we have other cards to use meantime.

Still to check the online bank accounts which I will do later. Might be passing round a cap for donations!! Will let you know!
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
We use Bullguard on all our computers and we thought it was excellent!

It's my card that was used!

Yes its really good that HSBC noticed, but bullguard isn't one of the most reliable pieces of software available for net security.

You see if someone gains access to your computer, they can install a program that will record everything you type.
From messages into a forum...to credit card details into a website. There are also programs (normally referred to as trojans) that will access your computer and show the hacker everything you are viewing and doing like a tv program.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment, Cassandra.

We now think, however, that it came from the employee of a supplier.

That, of course, is impossible to stop.
Marie & Norman Scoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Internet Fraud Reply with quote

Our youngest daughter had a similar experience some months ago where an employee of a firm in the USA had obtained her details and attempted to use them to purchase CD's. Bank intercepted the purchase and issued her with a new card.

We purchase a considerable amount of goods on the Internet, due to being constantly resident @ the Cattery & Kennels. We never allow our credit/debit card details to be retained by firms and where we can we use PayPal and monitor our banking transactions daily through online banking.

So far so good!!!
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for first direct part of the HSBC and to be honest no matter what software you, if they want to get your details they will!!!

The problem is sometimes the banks miss unlawful transactions and the fraudsters get away with it before people don't go through there bank statements with a fine tooth comb!! (I'm one of them, mine sometimes don't get opened) Confused

Glad to say that in most cases i dealt with transactions did not go through and were stopped at point of sale and if they did customers got all there money back!!!! Very Happy
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl wrote:
I worked for first direct part of the HSBC and to be honest no matter what software you, if they want to get your details they will!!!

Oh yeah they will...but why make it easy for them?

Folk doing this are basic theives...like burglars will choose victims who are easy targets. They not going to go for someone who look like they going to beat em up, or choose a house which has difficult windos and doors to get through due to it attracting too much attention.

The internet is very new, people need to get acustomed to the idea that they need to protect their pc's as they would their homes.
And wireless.... Shocked
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's absolutely true......... why make it easy.

We've always said that our house would be the last one in our street that a burglar would attempt. Not only do we have an alarm but we also have Diesel and Murphy looking out the windows and barking!!!! Very Happy
Whereas my neighbour has no alarm, not dogs and they're all out working during the day ....... so which is the easiest option for a thief?
Same goes for your pc ......... no firewall makes you an easier target.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed would give you a hi 5 but there isnt a symbol for one so king will do! king Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: