Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
puppy diarrhea (lovely topic :) )
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerry
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: puppy diarrhea (lovely topic :) ) Reply with quote

hi, Last night Koda had a bit of diarrhea and again in the morning some solid with the rest runny, lovely i know. We are keeping an eye on it to see if it gets worse. is there anything we can do to stop it, my friend says feed him rice and chicken. is there anything we can give him to stop it, or should we take him to the vet?
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerry, if it's quite bad try missing a meal and leaving him with water only. This will do him no harm. Best thing for dog diarrhea is no food for a few hours and see if it stops. When is does then give him a small amount of scrambled egg or boiled chicken etc something light on his tummy.
A dogs digestion is quicker than ours so it should clear up within 24 hours if you remove food.
Make sure he has always got fresh water to drink and he should be tip top tomorrow.
I would not rush to the vet unless he deteriorates in anyway ........... but don't panic it's normal!
kerry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was looking better in the morning, Yeah i rem taking away food with our old cat, but wasnt sure what to do with a puppy. We might give the walk a miss then tonight, not sure if we should take him out. We gave him a new treat yesterday and upped him food as he changed to the 3 month old band now so we think that might be what it is.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be anything that's upset his wee tummy!
Like Marcella said I would only give him a wee bit tonight and if it carries on try a hard boiled egg tomorrow. Most important of all dont worry!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Isabel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago when doogle was smaller stuart took him to a friends house and the kids there fed him a load of junk (doogle on stuart!) and he had really bad diarrhea, covered the kitchen floor (it was lovely!!!! ). We withdrew food for a day and then he was fine. I think if they have something new it upsets their tummy, it's prob just the new food he is on. I think when you change their food you are meant to do it gradually by mixing it it with their old food. Hope he is better soon.
kerry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he seems to be fine now, so you might see us tonight, he is full of energy and raring to go Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great!!! I think he might be annoyed if he thinks you might not take him!!!! Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starve him for 24 hours then feed him chicken and rice in small quantities. Best thing for diarrhea. (Providing there's no blood etc in it).
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the treat could have been the cause rather than the food......most dog treats are highly flavoured so that the dogs are really keen to get them.

Glad hes a bit better Laughing They bounce back quickly from things like this.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Starve him for 24 hours then feed him chicken and rice in small quantities. Best thing for diarrhea. (Providing there's no blood etc in it).

I thought 24 hours was ok for adult dogs only - too long for pups!
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
Nicola wrote:

I thought 24 hours was ok for adult dogs only - too long for pups!

Depends how bad the diarrhea is.....if it's really bad then 24 hours is ok, if it's not extreme, then 12 hours. So a breeder told me a while back.
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually quite natural for dogs to go off their food for a day or so, every so often. Even puppies, it's quite safe and perfectly natural. A natural fast, and if a dog won't eat for a day, I don't worry. If it's more than a day then I would be concerned.
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this:

http://www.dogs.co.uk/news/2007/Feb/fasting-is-good-for-your-dog.html

http://www.k9magazine.com/viewarticle.php?sid=3&aid=1714&vid=0&npage=&PHPSESSID=89c0da952552bdf87acb67c3895227e2
shirley c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We fast our lot every once in a while, they are fine with it, even the 2 oldies and allans friend does it once a week with his dogs, has done it for years and his dogs are in tiptop condition
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirley c wrote:
We fast our lot every once in a while, they are fine with it, even the 2 oldies and allans friend does it once a week with his dogs, has done it for years and his dogs are in tiptop condition

Yes, I know folk who do it with their dogs...show dogs, young dogs, old dogs, agility dogs...they are all in prefect condition......I have done it a few times with my Westie, haven't done it in just over a year now though! It's beneficial to dogs in more ways than one. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: