Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Feeding advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magz
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Feeding advice Reply with quote

Have decided to bite the bullet and change Sheila's diet, but not sure where to start, vet says she is over weight but not by how much, I dont think she is too over weight in my eyes but hey I aint no vet. I would like her to go on to a diet that will help aid her arthritis. have considered the raw diet but such a newbie that it scares me if I am honest. Cassandra would you be able to comment on whats the best type of food for a border collie pup, as I really want to get her feeding right she is currently on bakers puppy food but after reading all the threads I am scared I am getting it wrong.
God I am beginning to feel like one of those mums that was feeding her kids junk food through the school fence Embarassed ohh well at least my eyes are well and truly opened
shirley c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering the raw now as well, I have 2 really oldies and 1 getting on and a youngish one Smile and I feel they could all benefit, its just actually doing it, only problem 1 of my oldies has awful teeth and struggles with the bones but im terrified to take him to the vet to get anything done, he is 11 and a whippet and they dont do good with anesthetics anyway and I think his teeth have had it anyway

He came from a greyhound trainer and has had 9 yrs of the typical greyhound diet, sloppy kibble Rolling Eyes
Magz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god i didnt think about that sheila is lacking in the old teeth dept, she got a few out 3 years ago.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, we changed ours to raw partly because of Diesels joint problems among many other reasons. In a nutshell, the purer the food, the healthier it is. You can't get purer than raw, completely additive free.
I can totally understand your worries, I was too initially but in seeing the benefit in my two I'd happily recommend it to anyone. Puppies or old dogs! And the dogs enjoy it too.

If you really don't like the idea, I believe that Burns and James Wellbeloved are the only 2 'good' dried dog foods on the market. I think Cass feeds Burns if I'm right. They are higher quality ingredients than the rest. Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don't need teeth for mince! Very Happy
shirley c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
they don't need teeth for mince! Very Happy

thats what I was thinking on for Scooby anyway
shirley c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooby has the added problem of having the muscle wastage on his face so his jaw muscles dont work as good either so between that and his teeth he my poor old boy love4
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for raw!! You'll get used to it really quickly. The dogs love it and it's so good for them. Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,as you know am a big fan of raw feeding and at first was really worried by it, I needn't have been. You can be safe in the knowledge that whatever raw food you feed it its better than commercial food..period. If you are feeling REALLY brave google 'whats in dog food'

As for amounts....if your dog looks too heavy,cut back,,,,,,too lean .increase the amount you feed...........trust me , YOU know your own dog better than any vet with a breed/weight chart in front of them............be honest with yourself, does your dog look too heavy? With a short coat breed you should just be able to see their ribs as they move..........the vast majority of pet dogs carry too much weight,,,,,

Feeding raw requires a bit of planning, a freezer to keep costs down, a friendly butcher is a big help,,,,but a lot of things you will feed the butcher regards as waste and has to pay to have it taken away Very Happy

I am more than happy to help anyone come to the right decision.........which is the one that suits both them and their dog.

I could never feed my dogs commercial petfood again..........and an added bonus is it is now cheaper to feed them.the average spend for two GSD's is £35 foe between 6/8 weeks food.

Pleas ask my anything you need to.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeding advice Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I really want to get her feeding right she is currently on bakers puppy food but after reading all the threads I am scared I am getting it wrong.

In my opinion Bakers have great marketing but poor food...very high in protien which can cause puppies to grow too quickly, very high in colouring and favouring to entice dogs to eat it.

A pet dog's food should be in the region of 20% proteoin,,Bakers contains 28%....read the label, we have come a cross many dogs at the club whose behavior problems have reduced significantly when their diet of Bakers has been replace by a better quality/balanced dry food.

Look here to see why dry dog food was originally invented.
http://www.cumbernaulddogtraining.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=511
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been feeding my two on raw with some dry food for a good few weeks now, and i have noticed a difference in them, they have less exes energy and are calmer in the house compared to when they were on bakers. we are still feeding a Little bakers at the moment, but that is because the dry food that we are using is a mix of all the different stuff we had been trying to get my two to eat as they were getting so fussy they weren't eating. so far i have had no problems apart from tonight when Inca through up but that was because she was being greedy and stole some of Gypsy's dinner, so it serves her right.

can i ask John what you were feeding your two before you switched to raw.

kirsty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say thats not been said already.

Raw feeding - you know what your getting,

think of kids getting smarties and whatits - just the same with your dog getting something like bakers.

Dodge has really calmed since being on raw and his skin complaints have been completely eradicated - so i am a big fan

Now I just have to look at my own diet.
and perhaps we should get murphy and diesel to oversee john's Laughing Laughing Laughing
kerry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is pedigree dry puppy food OK? we are going to stick with that until he is 4 months then look into changing him onto something else, the raw diet sounds good don't think we could go completely raw but it sounds interesting.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry if you're going to feed dry use Burns or James Wellbeloved. None of the other commercial pet foods are particularly good, including Pedigree. But you are right in feeding him puppy food for a limited time as puppy food is higher in proteins and not good for a dog as it gets older - makes them hyper! Confused
kerry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he is def Hyper enough!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: