Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Conflicting opinions on coat/shampoo of labs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maureenmcl
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Conflicting opinions on coat/shampoo of labs Reply with quote

Hi

As new lab owner I have found that when Guinness gets wet his coat takes on a distinct smell looking up on the net believe this is due to oil in coat that a few breeds have. The recommendation is not to shampoo as this removes this protective oil and can cause dandruff.

Should I shampoo Guinness or not?

Whilst I love him dearly not too sure I could put up with his odour looking for the best way to keep odours at bay. if you can recommend a product that would be great as the number and variety of products on the market is mind blowing and they don't always do what they say on the tin!!!

Thx
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a smelly dog is something you will have to get used to, its part and parcel of owning a dog

you can bath him but it is best not to do it to often as you will remove the oils from the dogs coat.

it is recommended to only bath your dog once every couple of weeks so maybe once a month.

if you want to try and keep him dry there are lots of watter proof jackets you can get for dogs that will keep a good majority of him dry.

maybe some one with a lab may be able to help with more info.

Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we washed the cat once when she was younger, we survived... but to even think about it today is suicide
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless my pooches get really pungent or dirty I bathe no more often than every 3 months and try not to do it that often.

People think because they are short haired that they don't smell but they DO! As Kendal says it is best to allow their skin and coat to benefit from their own natural oils and I would say part of why he is whiffy is because he has gotten wet/muddy/sweaty on his walks a dog coat would certainly help keep that to a minimum.

I only ever use Malaseb shampoo (available only on prescription) on my pooches as they have incredibly sensitive skin and Staffs are prone to yeast/fungal infections which this shampoo addresses too Cool

As Kendal says, part and parcel of owning a dog IS the whiff I'm afraid, might I suggest a peg for your nose if he gets too pongy? Wink Very Happy
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I try to shampoo my dogs as little as possible......if they get dirty they get hosed but only shampooed maybe twice or 3 times a year.

John
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
a smelly dog is something you will have to get used to, its part and parcel of owning a dog

you can bath him but it is best not to do it to often as you will remove the oils from the dogs coat.

it is recommended to only bath your dog once every couple of weeks so maybe once a month.

if you want to try and keep him dry there are lots of watter proof jackets you can get for dogs that will keep a good majority of him dry.

maybe some one with a lab may be able to help with more info.

please note that we probably bathe our dogs more often than most as our dogs have a different coat to most as they don't cast and are more wool like but i still have to agree don't over bath and part of dog ownership is smelly wet dog especially when you live in a less than sunny climate such as scotland! Laughing
jackdeb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our two get so dirty when they are out.

They get hosed down and then towel dried. They do the rest.

They do smell while they are wet. But it is only damp dog smell it goes away once they are dry.

If they get any of that rusty looking grime on them which has been a few times this year, I wash them with shampoo.

That stuff seems to stain their coats.

I find that the worst smell comes from the bedding. So wash that regularly.

If you have a house that has carpet I would suggest you wash that regularly too. or get rid of the carpet.

As for brands I cant remember the last one I used.

I know it was for white dogs, to make them sparkle. He He.

Jack
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Lab owner myself I know your situation well. We got Dexter a coat that not only went over the top but went under his belly too. This was very helpful, but as Guinness is only young you might find that until he is fully grown this proves to be an expensive option. We also brush him with an undercoat removing tool- I can take it to training in the NEw Year if you like and show you. This does a good job in reducing the amount of hairs requiring brushing up, but I think has reduced the smell too. We also got a waterproof covered bed which also reduces the smell to a degree. Dexter loves getting blown dry with a good towel rub when he comes back from his wet walks also.

With the others unfortunately, your doggy smell is here to stay and can only be reduced.

We have bathed Dexter but with labs you need to keep their coat on outside for 24hours after, so much easier just to hose down, Dexter will now stand under the shower, and towel dry with or without the dryer, on the cool setting.
maureenmcl
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Agree dogs smell and been around them long enough to know just never had a lab before and was suprised by the different advice you get on the net. one said dont shampoo but use essential oils to mask the smell other was shampoo in baking soda!! etc etc

Jack was interested in your comment about the staffies being prone to fungal yeast infections my parents have a rottie who has really bad skin problems been to numerous vets and one said diet, other hormones and so so on. All we can do is alleviate the itch when gets really bad but he can be uncomfortable. He has been switched to raw diet but nothing seems to clear up condition completely. We have tried all types of shampoos/lotions even bought some from Australia which gave some short term improvements.Feel sorry for him when it flares up.
graceb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don,t bath Dexter at all, last time he was bathed was in June before a show , and it was a nightmare getting him in the bath Shocked He does smell a bit but its not that bad. I will probably give him a wash soon, maybe for Santa coming Question
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maureenmcl wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Agree dogs smell and been around them long enough to know just never had a lab before and was suprised by the different advice you get on the net. one said dont shampoo but use essential oils to mask the smell other was shampoo in baking soda!! etc etc

Jack was interested in your comment about the staffies being prone to fungal yeast infections my parents have a rottie who has really bad skin problems been to numerous vets and one said diet, other hormones and so so on. All we can do is alleviate the itch when gets really bad but he can be uncomfortable. He has been switched to raw diet but nothing seems to clear up condition completely. We have tried all types of shampoos/lotions even bought some from Australia which gave some short term improvements.Feel sorry for him when it flares up.

Maureen, I STRONGLY recommend your mum asks the vet to prescribe Malaseb - it is a fantastic shampoo for dogs with all sorts of skin conditions and aleviates the itching no end - I swear by it. Anything else brings my Ella out in hives - she's even allergic to many washing powders and fabric softeners so I have to be really careful what I use so tell your mum also to be very careful what she washes the dog bedding with - you CAN get the hypo-allergenic washing powders that work great for this. If she uses carpet fresheners and air fresheners she should also stop with those certainly whilst pooch is going through a flare up. Malaseb doesn't have a strong perfumed smell, more a teeny antiseptic type one and it is designed for frequent use. It is however horribly expensive costing about £14 for a small bottle but to me it is worth it's weight in gold! Smile Also try adding either some Olive Oil or Vitapet to his/her food as that too will help the general condition of the dogs fur and skin as well as their joints. Vitapet has added vitamins in it and I start adding it to my dogs food about the age of 8 or 9 - as soon as I notice them slowing down or being a bit stiff limbed.

Many short haired breeds are prone to fungal/yeast type infections it's in their makeup and cannot be attributed to diet and hormones alone - those will exacerbate the problem but not necessarily be the cause.

I've just had a thought.......with my Persians they get horribly oily and greasy as having such long fur it tends to sit at the base of the fur as they can't reach it to groom it through their coats. This week I have given them both a very fetching skinhead cut all over their bodies to remove all of the tats in their coat and the oil on my hands after petting them has been yuk!!! With Persians you liberally sprinkle Johnsons baby powder through their coats, rub well in THEN groom, this soaks up a lot of the oil, makes them smell beautiful and MUCH easier to comb and/or brush - perhaps consider using some talc to freshen him up between baths. As it's designed for babies it IS suitable for the sensitive skin some dogs & cats suffer with. The only thing is - don't go OTT with it or else he'll end up white all over AND his fur will appear very dull. Let me know how both dogs get on Wink
Cate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

maureen just to say that I have shampood Bonnie only twice since we got her. Once when she came from the breeder cos she smelled of............ well god knows. And once the other week when she rolled in some poo when out for a walk.

When she's come in from walks and is really grimy she sits quite happily in the shower and lets me hose her undercarriage with warm water. We just towel dry her then give her a good brush.

Everyone has given great advice = good for me too Thank you

Cate
maureenmcl
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to thank everyone for the advice.

Jack will get my Mum to try malaseb shampoo as you say if it relieves the discomfort then it will be well worth it. Will let you know how he gets on. Storm ( the rottie) met Guinness yesterday for the first time and he was not impressed a warning growl and quickly gave the pup wide berth.

Anna would like to take you up on the offer of showing me the brush you mentioned when back to classes after Xmas break

This forum is great for getting all sorts of information and not only dog related!!!
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Storm just doesn't "do" children - they CAN be hyper little boogers! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good luck - hope the tips help.xxxxxxxxx
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i am correct the brush that Ann is going to show you is the Furminator http://www.furminator.com/ very good brush. i don't use them as my dogs dot really have an undercoat as they dons shed. but i have seen it work and john and some others on the forum have them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: