Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Revolting dog!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:

Well, all I can say is, if one of my dogs bolted off to find som oh I swore to eat, and wouldn't listen to me to come back, I would find that totally unacceptable.

Yes we appreciate that it is unacceptable to some people, but what would you actually do about it?
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
gained a lot of experience through dog grooming...handling and otherwise...I also helped a few people with behavioural problems they were having wth their dogs, and they thanked me no end.

I am surprised, then, that you cannot recommend a solution to me.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
Quote:
gained a lot of experience through dog grooming...handling and otherwise...I also helped a few people with behavioural problems they were having wth their dogs, and they thanked me no end.

I am surprised, then, that you cannot recommend a solution to me.

I was thinking about this last night. The fact that she runs to oh I swore and doesn't listen to you to come back is a potential danger in itself due to roads and other dogs you don't know that may not be so friendly etc. She could also injure herself and may be a length period of time before you found her, if it's in woodland, for example.

If it was my dog, i'd have her off to the vet for hormonal and fibroid checks, and any other checks the vet could recommend to me.

Also, go somewhere where there is foxshit or any other oh I swore she likes the taste of, put her on a very long training line and practice recall regularly so that when she leaves the oh I swore, she gets loads of praise and high value treats. This would probably would take a while to acheive results, but I believe with a bit of hard work, consistancy, perseverance and determination, you could be quite successful.

It would be s start, seeing as she loves the oh I swore so much! Rolling Eyes Wink
marcella

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nicola"]
Enid wrote:

Also, go somewhere where there is foxshit or any other oh I swore she likes the taste of, put her on a very long training line and practice recall regularly so that when she leaves the oh I swore, she gets loads of praise and high value treats. This would probably would take a while to acheive results, but I believe with a bit of hard work, consistancy, perseverance and determination, you could be quite successful.

so the long line ............ where's the benefit of it if you do not believe in a lead correction? Surely tugging at a long line is much the same thing?
Or am I missing something? Confused
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="marcella"]
Nicola wrote:
Enid wrote:

so the long line ............ where's the benefit of it if you do not believe in a lead correction? Surely tugging at a long line is much the same thing?
Or am I missing something? Confused

Well, I don't mind a slight pressure on the lead to encourage the dog to come, by that I don't mean pull the dog forcefully to make it come to you by force. When putting slight pressure on the lead, I would run the other way and keep calling the dog in my most excitable voice to encourage the dog to come. If it goes near the oh I swore, then a firm, deep voice or growl would be helpfull to tell the dog it must stay away from the oh I swore! It's worth a shot, I think! Smile
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also stress that the dog may not come instantly, it may take a few shots at it! I really do believe though, that it's worth a try....plus it's good fun and training for the dog! Smile
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. The fact that she runs to oh I swore and doesn't listen to you to come back is a potential danger in itself due to roads other dogs you don't know that may not be so friendly etc.

She is rarely off lead and certainly never near roads. She avoid other dogs and always has done.

Quote:
If it was my dog, i'd have her off to the vet for hormonal and fibroid checks, and any other checks the vet could recommend to me.

This is completely unnecessary. I have already pointed out that Jodie is completely healthy. She receives regular checks from our vet and apart from a touch of arthritis she is in excellent health.

To sum up, she regards this as the most tempting food available. Don't apply your standards to her - this is the tastiest morsel ever!
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
Quote:
. The fact that she runs to oh I swore and doesn't listen to you to come back is a potential danger in itself due to roads other dogs you don't know that may not be so friendly etc.

She is rarely off lead and certainly never near roads. She avoid other dogs and always has done.

Quote:

This is completely unnecessary. I have already pointed out that Jodie is completely healthy. She receives regular checks from our vet and apart from a touch of arthritis she is in excellent health.

To sum up, she regards this as the most tempting food available. Don't apply your standards to her - this is the tastiest morsel ever!

I knew of a dog who was very fit and appeared to be healthy too but she just didn't respond to training very well and refused to listen to the owner not matter what she did. The dog was also prone to the occasional snarl and snap when being groomed. She had these checks done and it turns out her fibroid levels were too low and with medication the dog was transformed.

There was something on It's Me or the Dog about a dog with abnormal fibroid levels which caused the dog to be aggressive. I didn't see this episode but a friend told me about it.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog i'm referring to is a Border Collie. She moved house so I don't meet her on our walk now, occasionally I meet her at the park.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you pump a dog full of chemicals and that solves the problem!

oh I swore genius that is...I think its better off with the oh I swore...at least is natural
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:

oh I swore genius that is...I think its better off with the oh I swore...at least is natural

So the snarling and snapping, ignoring commands, unable to attend a dog club and mix off and on lead with other dogs is ok for you, Cassandra, so long as the dog can eat oh I swore? Confused

I know which option I would choose.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
knew of a dog who was very fit and appeared to be healthy too but she just didn't respond to training very well and refused to listen to the owner not matter what she did. The dog was also prone to the occasional snarl and snap when being groomed. She had these checks done and it turns out her fibroid levels were too low and with medication the dog was transformed.

There was something on It's Me or the Dog about a dog with abnormal fibroid levels which caused the dog to be aggressive. I didn't see this episode but a friend told me about it.

Jodie is NOT aggressive. I don't want her to be "transformed" thank you very much.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Cassandra wrote:

So the snarling and snapping, ignoring commands, unable to attend a dog club and mix off and on lead with other dogs is ok for you, Cassandra, so long as the dog can eat oh I swore? Confused

Yes we know...drugging it senseless you already said that.

When all else fails drug it up to the eyeballs...then its fine!
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Cassandra wrote:

That's not what you said. You said "the occasional snarl or snap when being groomed".
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
Nicola wrote:
Cassandra wrote:

That's not what you said. You said "the occasional snarl or snap when being groomed".

The dog was only groomed thoroughly every couple of weeks, I think, this it when the snarling and snapping occured.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: