Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Revolting dog!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
The dog was also prone to the occasional snarl and snap when being groomed..

Nicola wrote:
The dog was only groomed thoroughly every couple of weeks, I think, this it when the snarling and snapping occured.

admittedly i do not know how easily a Collie mats, but i know how my Gypsy gets get (cocker poodle cross) when i brush her after a day or so, as her fur mats easily. she dose growl and has snapped at me. but going by what you are saying the dog had good reason to snap.

Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying it is quite usual for a dog to snap if it is not groomed regularly and it has a tuggy coat?
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
Nicola wrote:
The dog was also prone to the occasional snarl and snap when being groomed..

Nicola wrote:
The dog was only groomed thoroughly every couple of weeks, I think, this it when the snarling and snapping occured.

admittedly i do not know how easily a Collie mats, but i know how my Gypsy gets get (cocker poodle cross) when i brush her after a day or so, as her fur mats easily. she dose growl and has snapped at me. but going by what you are saying the dog had good reason to snap.

She's a shorthaired collie, almost impossible to matt. Poodles, however, need grooming every day to keep them in top condition.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
Are you saying it is quite usual for a dog to snap if it is not groomed regularly and it has a tuggy coat?

This collie is shorthaired. In fact, I may have a photo of her on one of her first few days of freedom! Smile
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:

If the drugs for fibroids helped my dog the way it did Meg's, then I would use them on my dogs instantly.

Metacam, for example, used for a long period of time can have a harmful affect on a dog's liver. This obviously depends on the size of the dog and frequency of use. Just like paracetamol is harmful to us used regularly, long term.

Obviously, most drugs have a harmful effect on the system over time and obviously, some are life savers.

In this collie's case, if she didn't take the medication, she could have most probably been put to sleep eventually, I believe. She really wasn't happy at all. When I last seen her, about a year ago, 6 months after taking the drugs, she is a totally different dog and there appears to be no aggression in her whatsoever. She's very lively and happy.

For this dog, the medication was a lifesaver, if only I could remember what the medication was. If I see her again i'll ask her.

Blow me you have answered a question. How about you answer the other questions folk have asked you in this thread now?

In response to your post. I am not a fan of medication of any description...for humans or animals, but when you take into consideration my support for UC (unassited birth) it not a huge supprise.
Quite obviously without knowing either your dog or the other collie in question, I couldn't comment on what alternatives could have been tried before resorting to the drugs.
I will say however that I trust vets about as much as I trust doctors(ie not a lot), so if the diagnosis had come from there I would be extremely skeptical and try all other avenues rather than administer a drug known to have effects such as that.

I don't agree with the drugging of kids with ADHD, just to calm them down (and my brother had this) when there are in many cases other ways to address the problem rather than chemicals
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was a vet and a very good one, who I trust with my dogs, he was spot on with a problem in one of my dogs before and she had seen 2 vets who had no idea.

Did I tell you I am in love with my vet Very Happy Embarassed he has retired now tho Sad but his daughter has the practice now and she stitched up Moya after a horrific accident and there is hardly a mark on her where it was. I got Misty stitched (another stupid accident) at a vet in Cumbernauld (no names mentioned) and her leg is a mess and it wasnt even as bad as Moyas
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Misty. I would hazard a guess at who you might mean - but I won't!
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirley c wrote:
Yes it was a vet and a very good one, who I trust with my dogs, he was spot on with a problem in one of my dogs before and she had seen 2 vets who had no idea.

Did I tell you I am in love with my vet Very Happy Embarassed he has retired now tho Sad but his daughter has the practice now and she stitched up Moya after a horrific accident and there is hardly a mark on her where it was. I got Misty stitched (another stupid accident) at a vet in Cumbernauld (no names mentioned) and her leg is a mess and it wasnt even as bad as Moyas

Great stuff... Smile I'm amazed at a vet more or less saying it's ok to eat cat litter, that's all.... Confused

In love with your vet, eh? And he's retired....You like the older men, do you Shirley? Wink
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Nicola wrote:

If the drugs for fibroids helped my dog the way it did Meg's, then I would use them on my dogs instantly.

Metacam, for example, used for a long period of time can have a harmful affect on a dog's liver. This obviously depends on the size of the dog and frequency of use. Just like paracetamol is harmful to us used regularly, long term.

Obviously, most drugs have a harmful effect on the system over time and obviously, some are life savers.

In this collie's case, if she didn't take the medication, she could have most probably been put to sleep eventually, I believe. She really wasn't happy at all. When I last seen her, about a year ago, 6 months after taking the drugs, she is a totally different dog and there appears to be no aggression in her whatsoever. She's very lively and happy.

For this dog, the medication was a lifesaver, if only I could remember what the medication was. If I see her again i'll ask her.

Blow me you have answered a question. How about you answer the other questions folk have asked you in this thread now?

In response to your post. I am not a fan of medication of any description...for humans or animals, but when you take into consideration my support for UC (unassited birth) it not a huge supprise.
Quite obviously without knowing either your dog or the other collie in question, I couldn't comment on what alternatives could have been tried before resorting to the drugs.
I will say however that I trust vets about as much as I trust doctors(ie not a lot), so if the diagnosis had come from there I would be extremely skeptical and try all other avenues rather than administer a drug known to have effects such as that.

I don't agree with the drugging of kids with ADHD, just to calm them down (and my brother had this) when there are in many cases other ways to address the problem rather than chemicals

[size=10]
Cassandra, I agree with you on the fact that if I do believe that if there alternatives to conventional medicines then I would be the first to use it, but in this Collie's case, it seems to have been the right thing to do an has worked well for this dog. Smile

It's a shame that you don't trust vets much....do you trust the vet much that you have at the minute?
[/size]
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the cat litter, the crunchies left behind in it, thought you would guess with all this Sht talk Mr. Green
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan says we are all taking a load of sht anyway and to stop it, we are the disgusting ones talking so much about it Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirley c wrote:
Not the cat litter, the crunchies left behind in it, thought you would guess with all this Sht talk Mr. Green

Laughing

Jeeso, I can honestly say that my Molly never attempted to eat from our cats litter box...in fact, when I changed and washed out the trays, Molly was totally disgusted and actually snorted at me and left the room! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:

Cassandra, I agree with you on the fact that if I do believe that if there alternatives to conventional medicines then I would be the first to use it, but in this Collie's case, it seems to have been the right thing to do an has worked well for this dog. Smile

It's a shame that you don't trust vets much....do you trust the vet much that you have at the minute?

Would you mind ever so much if you didn't shout?

I didn't say anything about alternatives to conventional medicines. I just said alternative options and further investigation. And I don't believe that just because the drug seems to have had a positive effect its 'worked well' for the dog. This is mainly to do with mis-diagnosis and dual purpose drugs.
As I said, I didn't see the dog to have a fuller story and you don't seem to understand my perspective on medication (animal or otherwise).

I don't trust vets....therefor I don't trust the one I have now. I know you read the vaccinations thread, it was the first one I pulled you up on Rolling Eyes
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Nicola wrote:

Would you mind ever so much if you didn't shout?

I didn't say anything about alternatives to conventional medicines. I just said alternative options and further investigation. And I don't believe that just because the drug seems to have had a positive effect its 'worked well' for the dog. This is mainly to do with mis-diagnosis and dual purpose drugs.
As I said, I didn't see the dog to have a fuller story and you don't seem to understand my perspective on medication (animal or otherwise).

I don't trust vets....therefor I don't trust the one I have now. I know you read the vaccinations thread, it was the first one I pulled you up on Rolling Eyes

Eh? I'm not shouting. Confused

Everything possible had been done to turn this dog around, nothing worked. The only thing that has helped is medication.

If there were effective alternatives to conventional medicines for both animals and humans though, I really would try them first.

The collies owner tried everything from Reiki and DAP sprays.....it had no effect on the dog, unfortunately.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:

Eh? I'm not shouting. Confused

Everything possible had been done to turn this dog around, nothing worked. The only thing that has helped is medication.

If there were effective alternatives to conventional medicines for both animals and humans though, I really would try them first.

The collies owner tried everything from Reiki and DAP sprays.....it had no effect on the dog, unfortunately.

When I initially replied...your last response was in size 10 font, that is shouting, as is posting all in capital letters.

There are many effective alternatives to conventional medicines. I am sure if Laura were about she would be able to add to that. Its not really something I have explored, i have other means to keep my household healthy inside and out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: