Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
landywoods.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: landywoods.co.uk Reply with quote

A few more people on the forum have been expressing an interest in raw feeding.

We have a discount set up with AMP at www.prizechoice.co.uk and this is a great way to get started feeding raw, freeflow mince bags and pre packaged chunks etc...........nice clean and easy Laughing

Next step is real raw, fresh 'green dirty' tripe, heart,liver, kidney...etc

Not for the faint hearted, bit of blood and the like.....however it is far cheaper to buy but you have to put in a bit more when preparing it..cut it up etc. So you need a strong stomach Very Happy

This is the site I buy from......deliveries are every 6 weeks or so.......I collect from the freezer van at Hamilton services which is better than before when it was South Queensferry...........a lot of hassle but worth it. If anyone wants me to collect for them I am happy to do so

Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does this translate to?
"distribute high quality pet feeds of a quality fit for human consumption."

Because I seen what some standards are for human consumption?
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra,
this food is passed by DEFRA as fit to be eaten by humans..........not that I would want to.
Petfood however only has to comply to a far lower standard............draw your own conclusions Mad
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Cassandra,
this food is passed by DEFRA as fit to be eaten by humans..........not that I would want to.
Petfood however only has to comply to a far lower standard............draw your own conclusions Mad

Did you watch Jamies school dinners? The human standard food that was being fed to primary school children?
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Did you watch Jamies school dinners? The human standard food that was being fed to primary school children?

My point exactly Cassandra!

Human food is heavily regulated......pet food far less. Most of the large pet food companies are owned by large food companies...Nestle etc. Pet food is a quick and highly profitable way to dispose of the waste products that human food production creates.

If you are feeling really brave and have a sick bag at the ready google 'what's in dog food'.........but please if you do this prepare to be completely shocked...........
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty much what I want to be feeding them so I can get more bone in for their teeth as apposed to mince all the time. I'll give you an order at the end of next week for them will need to work out how much I need for them both if it's 3% of body woeght it's about 200g each per day as Lizzy is growing fast and is always hungry and Dora is a decent weight just now so want to keep her the same. Don't mind the prep I have a good tollerance for stuff like that, I can gut fish and rabbits no bother. Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy,

prep for the chunks is simply cutting them up to whatever size suits...I use a large kitchen knife that I got in Poundland and keep it sharp with a steel.

Next delivery is aprox 4 weeks away.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:

My point exactly Cassandra!

Human food is heavily regulated......pet food far less. Most of the large pet food companies are owned by large food companies...Nestle etc. Pet food is a quick and highly profitable way to dispose of the waste products that human food production creates.

If you are feeling really brave and have a sick bag at the ready google 'what's in dog food'.........but please if you do this prepare to be completely shocked...........

preaching to the converted John Wink I scruntinise what my kids eat and we are starting to grow our own now, so I wouldn't be any less rigorous with the dog food when we go raw Very Happy
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be much cheaper but im not an organised person so I think the AMP stuff will just suit me but I will see how it goes, I like the fact its just down the road and I can order it whenever.

Cassandra, not sure what the area is like where you live, we are quite countryfied but its still an ex council house and we keep chickens, fresh eggs is the best ever Smile

Allans friend has shooting permission and later on in the year we get venison, next year im def. planning on getting a greenhouse and want to grow lots of veg too so will have to sort the garden this winter Shocked
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirley c wrote:
It would be much cheaper but im not an organised person so I think the AMP stuff will just suit me but I will see how it goes, I like the fact its just down the road and I can order it whenever.

Cassandra, not sure what the area is like where you live, we are quite countryfied but its still an ex council house and we keep chickens, fresh eggs is the best ever Smile

Allans friend has shooting permission and later on in the year we get venison, next year im def. planning on getting a greenhouse and want to grow lots of veg too so will have to sort the garden this winter Shocked

ooooooooo bambi burgers!!!! Do you know where I can get rabbit from. It seems a bit limited round here! We have to go to Overton to get anything 'interesting'. The kids got ostrich rolls (like sausage rolls but with ostrich) and wild boar burgers from their farmers market!

Its council estate here, but we have some sized garden. There is allotments in the pipline but I grew up being able to go into the garden and pick me own, so it would depend where they going to put the allotments as to how involved I would be with that.

I would love a farm...with chucks, and sheep and coos! Laughing Would certainly give Ash something to do!
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get rabbit too, either Allan gets it or again his hunter friend gets it for us, last year we had a smorgasbord of game;, rabbit, deer, wood pigeon, duck and guess what else and it was the best ever, goose, it was gorgeous mmmm, sorry to all the veggies out there Embarassed
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I have never tried wood pigeon and the only duck I tried was from the chinese so I suspect that is an aquired taste!

Sounds absolutely gorgeous!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: