Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Please Read and Be Aware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Please Read and Be Aware Reply with quote

Just been sent this by the Deed Not Breed Committee:

These Breeds Of Dogs May Have To Be Put Down...........If

As you will be aware, Dublin council have recently introduced a ban on certain breeds of dogs from all their properties including houses, flats and all estates with immediate effect. This has led to many responsible dog owners being forced to seek rescue places for their beloved pets, or in some cases, having to have their pets put to sleep.

Taken from an article in the Irish press this week –

The council has taken the step to remove all "dangerous breeds" due to the increasing numbers of complaints from tenants and because of the legal implications associated with an attack taking place on one of its properties. The ban initially applies to council housing and all public areas within council estates.

However, the council plans to amend its bylaws to include public parks in the ban. This would mean that anyone owning a dangerous dog could not walk it in a public park, even if they lived in private housing.

The council has also written to the Minister for the Environment asking him to ban all breeds of fighting dogs nationally. The 11 breeds are not banned for general ownership in Ireland but must be muzzled, kept on a special leash and be under the control of a person over 16 years old.

The breeds are: English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Rottweiler, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Doberman, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Japanese Akita, Bull Mastiff, Japanese Tosa and Bandog. Cross-breeds of these dogs or crosses of these dogs with any other breed are also banned.

We, at DeedNotBreed strongly oppose these moves and have already offered any support we can to the people and rescues in Ireland. We need your help too.

We need to make sure our own government knows we oppose this type of blanket ban across many breeds of dogs and we need to tell them now. Such a ban, if copied in the UK would be disastrous and result in the unnecessary destruction of many dogs.

You could help in many ways. On our website – www.deednotbreed.org.uk has a sample letter to write to your MP to ask for support against Breed Specific Legislation.

Link our website to your own and we will be happy to link back

Write to the Irish government and make your feelings known, but please keep it polite and to the point as an angry letter full of abuse will not encourage them to have a rethink on their new rules.

Pass on our website details to your supporters, or perhaps include it in your newletters or updates

Tell us of any breed rescue shows you will be attending and we may be able to take a stall and tell people how they can help in the fight against breed specific legislation.

Bull Breed types have long been the target for our government and police forces across the UK, but now it appears the net could be spread far wider and many more breeds could be involved in new laws or regulations set by councils.

PLEASE ACT NOW BEFORE OUR GOVERNMENT FOLLOWS IRELANDS LEAD AND BANS OUR PETS FROM COUNCIL OWNED PROPERTIES.

Deed Not Breed Committee
Joe
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The number of people hospitalised for dog attacks has increased by almost 50% in the past decade, according to a new report, commissioned by pet insurer LV=. Nine out of ten (88%) of these attacks required emergency treatment and the average hospital stay after a dog attack is two to three days.

Incidents involving children under the age of nine account for one in five (21%) of all attacks and children often suffer the most serious injuries. The LV= research has found the problem is particularly bad in urban areas. Over the last five years the number of patients under 18 treated for dog bites in London has more than doubled, and in the West Midlands it has risen by 80%.

According to vets the most common breed of dog in the UK that is inclined to be aggressive is the German Shepherd. This is followed by the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Rottweilers and Jack Russells.

According to US data, Pit Bulls are the most likely dog to bite humans, however these are banned in the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act so very few exist. The second most aggressive dog that is likely to attack a human is the Rottweiler, a common breed in the UK that is not mentioned on the Dangerous Dogs Act.

It's not only attacks on humans that are on the increase. One in three (34%) vets have reported an increase in the number of pet owners coming to their practice in the past three years as a result of their dog or other pet being attacked by a dog. Vets tend to an animal injured by a dog three times a month on average. According to the LV= research 33% of current dog owners said their pet had been attacked by another dog.

Practically all vets (96%) interviewed by LV= said they have been asked for advice on training dogs, showing that the vast majority of pet owners take their responsibilities seriously. 63% of vets said the number of owners seeking advice in the past three years had increased. Vets clearly take their advisory role seriously with more than half (56%) saying they have told an owner they need to muzzle their dog and a similar number (54%) have advised that a dog should be put to sleep because of its behavioural issues.

Emma Holyer, Spokesperson for LV= General Insurance, said: "If you are thinking about getting a dog you should do your research to ensure you get the right breed for you and your lifestyle. You should research issues like the amount of walking the breed requires, if the property you live in is suitable, if you have a garden or other pets, plus if you have children, whether the breed is suitable for a family environment."

The report has also highlighted pet owners' concerns about other owners with dangerous dogs. One in four pet owners admits to changing their dog's walking pattern to avoid someone with an aggressive dog and 23% said they worry about their own dog because other dogs in the area are not properly controlled.

It's not just pet owners who have noticed the changes. The report also found that, amongst the general population, 13% of Brits said there had been an increase in the number of ‘aggressive looking' dogs in their area and one in 10 (10%) admitted that some of the animals they see make them feel vulnerable.

The problem is particularly rife in London with a quarter of people (23%) reporting an increase in aggressive dogs in their area and 40% saying that some pet owners in their area don't take adequate responsibility for their animals.
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, you're a sweetheart for sending me this. I have posted on my forum.

I have long since supported the "Breed not Deed" stance and am strongly against anyone who claims ALL dogs of a specific breed are bad. ANY dog is capable of turning. Conversely even the most aggressive of dogs can be helped to overcome their issues if placed with the right owner who is willing to take all of the responsibility that such a pet demands AND all of the precautions to keep it and everyone and everything around it safe.

My blood boils at the attitude exhibited by the Irish Government. I'm all for registration of dogs and owners if such a scheme could be introduced and correctly policed - ANYTHING that keeps my beloved breed safe and with me is worthwhile in my opinion - and if it stops numpties owning and abusing this wonderful breed all the better!
jackdeb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awfull to read this .............a lot of these dogs are in our dog club and i have never came across a bad one yet...very sad to read this......i believe it's as much down to the owner in the way the dog is handled/brought up as to the way it reacts to dogs and other people

Debs
kirsty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure John will have something to comment about this thread. He arranged for an MP to come and give a talk to our dog club on the new bill in the UK and there will be details on earlier threads.

I am a GSD owner and often come across breed prejudice.... Though my two are not exactly angels and could not be termed under control 100% of the time. but they are very human friendly and do not deserve the abject terror response they receive.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met a few of all the breeds flagged above with bad attitude but as you say Debs that has largely been due to the handler/owner failing to take control.

I've met many many more aggressive dogs from the so called "soft" breeds with far worse attitude. Labs, Spaniels, Collies, Yorkies, Westies, Chihauhau's, Poodles and particularly Mongrels. With the pedigree dogs most of the problems can be traced to poor breeding and handling - what boils my blood is that if ONE dog from a specific breed misbehaves then ALL get tarred with the same brush. NO consideration is given as to WHY the dog misbehaved - there is ALWAYS a reason be it medical or psychological and it is THAT that requires addressing in ALL dogs. NOT just the powerful breeds - let's just remember here it is MAN who has bred them for their strength, their power, their hunting or fighting instinct and now MAN has let them down and failed to keep them in check and safe so what does man do? Yep that's right - sets about destroying them because God Forbid that MAN should take responsibility for his actions.

Well I'll tell you this I am happy to accept that responsibility. I am happy to ensure my lot and everyone and thing around them stays safe and I'll do all that I can to ensure my own and all the other wonderful breeds out there get that chance.

Sorry but I have seen what "man" has done to my breed - I've seen the results of awful dogfights, I've rescued a beautiful girl who had been used for such vile purposes and as a puppy machine and as an ashtray Evil or Very Mad so my compassion is with the dogs and not man on this one.

Punish the useless owners and NOT the dogs because you can be damned sure for every dangerous dog that is destroyed the ineffective owners will be straight out for another and fail to train that too!!!! Bring in legislation that is enforceable that lays down rules and regulations for ownership of ANY dog - I'd happily comply. Bring in the same for breeders so ONLY registered breeders can produce dogs of ANY breed, pedigree or mongrel - THAT would help the situation greatly. I know there are exceptions, that not ALL dogs are good or capable of being rehabilitated - just as there is vileness in man. For us we have prisons and community service - for them they get the death penalty with no hope of appeal.

Ooops - went off on one there didn't I but as you can tell this is something I feel very very passionately about.

Going to sign off now as I can feel the rant building and I don't want to expose you all to anymore, so goodnight for now.xxx
Gaelle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAck I completely agree about irresponsible owners who if their dog were to be destroyed would go straight out to get another and fail to train it either. I know of something similar where an owner says that if their dog was to get an illness which might cost them to treat, (not necessarily incurable or particularly serious) they would just get the dog put to sleep and then get another dog. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle,

Please for the sanity of all other forum members don't get me started again!!! Embarassed
Dan McK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you say Jack. It is 100% down to bad owners, the owner is the source of 99% of bad dog behavior.

However, the sad thing is that a 'certain type' of person tends to buy 'certain breeds' of dogs, and unfortunately the poor staff is one of these breeds. Thats not me saying ALL staff owners are this 'certain type', but that most of the 'certain type' tends to go for macho dogs. Having said that I have had far more good experiences with staffs than bad.

The pitbull also tends to be stigmatized because of the type of person that likes to have a macho dog. One of Tess's doggy pals is a pitbull, and they have a great time chasing each other about. She is a lovely natured dog, always pleased to see everyone, and I have never seen her show any aggression to dogs or people. However, the owner believes that every bitch dog should have at least one litter as it's good for them, (not a view I agree with, and we've spoke about it a few times) and I worry about what type of person in my area is going to start having pits, and whether they have the handling experience to raise a balanced dog, or whether they just want one because it's a macho dog.

As for Russells being on the list of most common dog to bite, I'd have to agree with that. I own russells, and I love russells, but I'd have to agree that there are a few angry wee russells out there, I've met a few.
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan - you're completely right too of course - it's the Type of OWNER that SOME these dogs attract NOT the breed that is to blame- which is why I said Owners and NOT the dogs should be punished (naturally that excludes every single member on here of a so-called "dangerous" dog). I feel so passionately for all furries but this breed in particular that the least thing will set me off on a rant about it - TOLD you I had too much Staffie in me for my own good didn't I? Embarassed Laughing

Nothing will ever stop me loving the breed and doing all I can to protect it though. Of ALL Staffs I have EVER known....and I have known HUGE numbers......I have only ever met 1 (even including all the ex-neglect and abuse cases I have met) that I would consider dangerous (little sh!t even dared to bite ME!! Shocked ) - he was potentially able to be rehabilitated but his owners were not willing to take the risk as they had 1 girl aged 10 and a tiny boy aged 2 at the time, having met the dog on numerous occassions I couldn't blame them for the decision they took to have this poor boy put out of his misery. His owners I might stress were lovely and adored that dog and were completely devastated at what they had to do. Had I not got Ella and had I known what his owners were about to do I think that boy would have been living with me by now. As it was I found out too late to even seriously consider that as an option but yes Mark and I, despite BOTH being bitten by this dog, would have tried to accommodate and rehabilitate him despite his very evident issues, Mad...maybe but we'd have tried our damndest to help him, perhaps it's better for all concerned that we never got the chance but sadly we'll never know now Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: