Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
How to prepare Hek for Ollie going
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> The Loss of a Pet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty...what can I say - my obssession/passion knows no bounds Laughing Laughing Laughing Both Mark & I agreed our animals ARE our family and it's up to us to do our best by them come what may. I'm undecided whether it's completely soppy and romantic, the ashes thing, or just plain demented but hey that just about sums me up Very Happy I pity the poor Executor of our will though - can you imagine the horror on their face when they see the HUGE mound of ashes they are expected to scatter Embarassed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

HUGE kisses to everyone who has ever suffered the loss of a pet or will have to face it in future, my heart goes out to you and if I can offer any help or comfort I will, just let me know.xxxxxxxx
jackdeb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it hard reading this thread.

I have not had pets before, so never had to deal with their death.

Had not even thought about Kodi and Oscar passing.

When it comes to it I am not sure what I will do.

At least now I have read this, the fact that it will happen is in my consciousness and in a way I am preparing now.

Lisa. I am not sure what to say accept to enjoy the time you have together.

Jack. Thanks for sharing your stories.

Jack
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I didnt mean to depress everyone (January is depressing enough!) but this has helped me. We are taking every day at a time and trying not to think too much about it ALL the time.

I have never understood people who say 'NEVER AGAIN' after losing a pet...in my opinion, although the end is always difficult, all the love and companionship you share with your dog throughout its life MORE than makes up for it. I suppose people deal with this in different ways.

Ollie seems quite chipper this morning...long may it continue! Smile
Gaelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've said it all there Lisa. You can only do what you already are doing. In my albeit limited experience, Hek will sense Ollie's failing health himself and cope in his own way.
As Rosie got frailer, Cuthbert I'm sure sensed it and the last day he wanted to go in to where she was lying and he had a good sniff at her. Later on that evening , afterwards,he again wanted to go in to where she had been, had another good sniff around then came out again. He seemed to settle a lot more after that and became calmer and more mature. (He was only 8 months of age at the time). It was as if he then understood.
Yes, it is very hard at the end for us but I would not let that prevent me enjoying a life with a pet either.

Good luck and I'm glad Ollie is that bit brighter today. Smile Smile Smile
Gaelle
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand never wanting to go through the pain of losing a pet 100%. However for me, whatever time you get from them, all of the enjoyment and unconditional love they offer you make up for that pain.

The law of physics says for every action there must be an equal and opposite reaction so I guess that's true here too.

No way could I live in my house without pets, I'll always have them - they are what make my house a home Wink Cool

Lisa - must have been my sloppy kisses to Ollie that did the trick Wink Enjoy his good days babe.xxx
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Oh this is so sad... I went through this with my first dog Tess who had to be PTS at the age of 16 years...
It is such a difficult decision to have to make... but you just know when the time is right.
I had Sasha , my GSD who was 9 years at the time and she was very close to Tess, so we decided when Tess was 14 years old to get another dog to keep Sasha company when the time came.
As it was Tess stayed with us another 2 years until she was 16... and I think towards the end both Sasha and Heidi, our new dog knew Tess was old and both accepted her going.

Sadly Sasha had to be PTS 2 years later and Heidii who was left on her own took it very badly...
We were all woken up the first night after Sasha died by the saddest noise I have ever heard.... Heidi howling... it was horrible and I couldn't console her Sad ...... But she only did this the first night.... it was like her saying good-by!
After a couple of days she bounced back to her old self.

It will be a sad time... and I still get upset writing about it after all these years.... but we all go through it, the most difficult part of owning and loving dogs... well any animal.

I hope Hec is ok when the time comes Lisa.... I'm sure he will bounce back too...
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww bless - poor Heidi! Tricia - that's so touching Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

As sad as this thread is I think it's lovely how we are all sharing our experiences and memories - sort of keeps those we have loved so much and now sadly lost "alive" - as they say....gone but most definately NOT forgotten Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I have been quietly crying my way through this post. You are right it is good to share the good and the sad times too. Last year we lost our two Beagles, Angel and Misty. The Danes knew they were close to the end and were so patient and caring. Basil carried each of their blankets around for a few days after they went. Once he stopped that, I took the blankets away and he seemed to adjust to them not being here.
As a home of last resort for Scottish Great Dane Rescue we have experienced a few deaths of dogs. We always try to be positive about what they have gained from living with us and what we have gained from them. As Janis would say, that Rainbow bridge is very crowded with our friends. Some only survived a short time because of how they were treated before they were rescued but their last times were full of love. Jean at the rescue says that for a dog 1 year seems like 10. So for every dog their last days and weeks can be a wonderful long time with their pack.
We have a bridge in the garden where Scooby used to stand and survey the world and sometimes Basil just stands on Scooby's bridge as though he is looking for him. (But there I go again anthropomorphising my dogs.)
Hector will grieve but he will recover and move on just as you will.
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B*gger it - crying AT WORK now - how do I pretend it's work related? Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing

So sorry Lorna about your loss too Crying or Very sad It's so so hard having to say goodbye isn't it? LOVE the little picture in my head now of your Dane standing majestically on that bridge - how sweet!!! Smile

On behalf of Danes everywhere - thank you for being there for them, especially for those in the twilight years who others would dismiss, those with problems brought on by abuse or ineffective ownership Wink

My long terms plan is to do the same for Staffies, particularly those with issues that make them unsuitable for re-homing. For now it's a pipe dream but one day, God willing that I live long enough, I WILL make it a reality Cool
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, Lorna is a saint! (Lorna the saint of danes Very Happy ) the Danes are lucky to have her particularly Basil and Poppy whom she has rescued at present.

She has taken on dogs with 'real' physical and emotional problems. I have rescued my two shepherds and used to feel a bit smug that I was helping all 'shepherdkind' but seeing poppy and the change in her made me realise my work was a wee drop in the ocean.
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that name Saint Lorna Very Happy Lorna - you are a gem and obviously your dogs love and respect you hugely - that is the biggest reward possible Wink

Someone not a million miles from this forum said I was the Patron Saint of Staffies - I think it's because I'm FROM Staffs originally and sure as heck share their temperament Embarassed Laughing Laughing

I just LOVE them so much. To do what I want to do I need some land - LOTS of land - poor Mark has no idea of the full extent of my plans Embarassed Very Happy
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for thread drift Lisa...

Jack,
cant remember if we've posted this or not...
Ali, myself and Gaelle met up with a woman and her young daughter just after boxing day when we were down the glen walking Giles and Cubs...
They had just rescued very elderly staffy that looked like it had been through the wars - ear bitten off, scars etc...

Anyway this poor little thing hopped around as its rear end didnt work very well. This was the first time they had taken it outside other than the garden and they were very apprehensive when they seen us standing in the carpark.

Ali went up to clap the little thing and thats when the woman told her that she was afraid as to how it would react with other dogs and she didnt know her well enough yet.
Giles, being Giles was choking himself on the lead to get to see this other dog a lick it, but the woman was really in a panic as she kept telling us that she didnt want to hurt any of our dogs.
Anyway, ali brushed it off and introduced Giles to Shadow followed by Cubs.

all 3 dogs were brilliant - Shadow actually seemed to enjoy it and being part of a 'mini-pack' Then another woman and her cocker arrived and everything was still ok!
Shadow's owner was so overwhelmed - i actually thought she was going to cry!

anyway, it must be so rewarding to rescue any dog (1 , 2 or many) and its something that me and Ali would have no doubts in doing - not at the moment though Lisa! Laughing

Kirsty, Dont play down what you have done for 'shephardkind'!! Thats quite an achievement!

There must be some amount of horrific stories in the staffie fraternity though? Sad
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did refer to it before Ross but not with so much detail - really enjoyed reading that though and am proud of you ALL - it's not easy introducing dogs to each other - especially to one that has been through the wars. Of course the old girls age would have been in your favour - she probably was happy to meet such lovely doggie friends and people Smile Smile Smile so on behalf of that old girl - THANK YOU ALL.xxxxxxx

There are some truly horrific stories concerning Staffies that I have heard and seen the results of. I was just chatting to my lovely friend, one of my ladies from my forum who lives in Essex and she was telling me about a programme that had been on the London Tonight show - all about Staffies, Pitbulls the fighting and puppy farming of them and how the breed is much maligned thanks to the scrotes that put them through that hell Evil or Very Mad Apparently, for a change, it was a very fair and balanced documentary towards the breed - I hope it's eventually shown up here as although she spent much of it in tears she said it was really good.

When I had my old Rescue girl she had really been through the wars. She had clearly been used for breeding and fighting and I strongly suspect fox baiting too as she went wild when she spotted one in the distance, she was off leash as there was no-one else around but us and she took off after this fox like a whippet - NOTHING I did would get her back to me and she was a very very obedient girl usually. The only thing that saved that fox was the fact it got through a fence and away and she couldn't which gave me chance to catch up with her and pop her back on her leash. She had also clearly been used as an ashtray. Her scars were horrific Crying or Very sad . To humans she SHOULD have been completely untrusting and aggressive yet she was so gentle and beautiful with Mark and myself. I think I've mentioned her before - she was called Petra and was huge for a Staffie. She had NO pride in herself at all, when we got her she was completely broken. The first time she groomed herself I was in floods as it meant we had made a major breakthrough with her. Her self esteem had been zero. She is sadly no longer with us in body but will always be in our hearts.

I have been having a very very strange recurring dream lately - you all KNOW how passionate I am about this breed well in my dream I get my Rescue Centre (God knows how I afford it Very Happy ) and I take in only the aggressive and the abused - it is the same dream with the same dogs and events over and over with my favourite being a very very badly damaged boy called Rollo Shocked It is incredibly vivid and serves only to make me ever more determined to one day make it a reality.

Kirsty - I agree with Ross - you ARE a saviour of GSD - please go back and read your incredibly moving testamonial about Dodge THEN tell me what you are doing is minor! That boy owes his life to you and he rewards you every day with his companionship and love. EVERY dog that is helped or cared for correctly no matter how anyone comes by them has an owner deserving of high praise indeed whatever the breed Wink

I apologise for going off topic too Lisa but just had to reply. Smile
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:

I apologise for going off topic too Lisa but just had to reply. Smile

No apologies, if I win lots at the lottery you'll have your sanctuary!
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could pee with excitement!!!!! Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> The Loss of a Pet All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: