Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Is hitting your dog acceptable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think that Hitting your dog is Animal Cruelty?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there really much I can add? I agree with what John was saying about dog handler combinations.

My lad BC was very confident (in comparison to Ash that is lol) and I had to take him by the scruff of the neck in the end.

I think generally for most responsible owners, any kind of physical correction is a last resort. I don't necessarily think in the case of dogs if you physically correct your dog you have 'lost it'. Its communicating to the dog in the way the dog understands...completely.

A mother dog won't stand there barking at her young pup until it does as its told...she will grab hold of it by the neck and 'make' it listen. No question. Same with adult dogs, if they are fed up they will give warnings and only physically make a point when the warnings are ignored.

Did any of that waffle make sense...i am wingin it here lol
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made perfect sense Cassandra,

it was great to meet you,your family and of course wee Ash as well.

I hope you guys enjoyed the puppy walk tonight?
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a great time tonight yeah! Ash loved it.

Its quite a trek but its helping Ash get used to the car...he hasn't been sick for a while now!

Oh I didn't vote btw cos it isn't a simple yes no answer
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never is it right to hit a dog, in my opinion.

Hitting a dog will make it understand completely, eh? No, I don't think so. Hittng a dog will only make it fearful of being hit and could most probably make the dog hand shy.

What if, one day, a child, or any human, went to pat a dog that was hit....The dog may see this the wrong way and lash out in fear of being hit again. If this happened it would not be the dogs fault, but the person who hit the dog would be completely responsible.

I held my dog firmy when I warned her, and looked straight in to her eyes when warning her not to eat the food again. I did not strike her in any way, or "tap" her. There is a massive difference between that and actually hitting a dog.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's great...would you like to quote me where I have said I have 'hit' the dog???

Can't do that eh? That's because I never said it. I said 'physically correct' the dog.

First rule of engineering, ensure brain is engaged before opening mouth.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
that's great...would you like to quote me where I have said I have 'hit' the dog???

Can't do that eh? That's because I never said it. I said 'physically correct' the dog.

First rule of engineering, ensure brain is engaged before opening mouth.

If you reread my post, Cassandra, you will see that I didn't once say that you hit your dog.

By "physically correcting", what do you mean? A yank of the lead?
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of correction do you give your dogs Nicola? Or do you have more of a 'social worker' type of approach because whatever you do obviously works well for you.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:

If you reread my post, Cassandra, you will see that I didn't once say that you hit your dog.

First of all, whilst you did not quote my post in particular it had specific references to my previous posts, so now attempting to back out of your statement is a bit pointless really, i too long in the tooth in forum debate for that...

If you re-read my post where I mention mothers behaviour towards her puppies it may give you some idea as to what I mean on physically correct.

You appear to have a particular problem with reading posts Nicola I seem to remember my first comments to you were about reading previous posts.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
What type of correction do you give your dogs Nicola? Or do you have more of a 'social worker' type of approach because whatever you do obviously works well for you.

I just use my voice, Marcella, to motivate them, and also treats to encourage them. Always have done with both my dogs. It works really well. Smile With the exception of the time I held he firmly, and warned her in the eye.

However, when i'm training my Westie, I no longer give her treats after every command now. With the crossbreed, however, I am at the moment but she'll be getting weened off them soon!

I want them to do what I ask for me, not just for the food. However, Molly (Westie) will do anything for food! Shocked Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Nicola wrote:

First of all, whilst you did not quote my post in particular it had specific references to my previous posts, so now attempting to back out of your statement is a bit pointless really, i too long in the tooth in forum debate for that...

If you re-read my post where I mention mothers behaviour towards her puppies it may give you some idea as to what I mean on physically correct.

You appear to have a particular problem with reading posts Nicola I seem to remember my first comments to you were about reading previous posts.

Sorry, Cassandra, I don't have a problem with reading threads or posting on forums...thank you for your comments anyway. Smile
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Sykes doesn't go in for the bribery methods of training either. I think she said something in her book about not having to bribe children....ROFLMAO
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Barbara Sykes doesn't go in for the bribery methods of training either. I think she said something in her book about not having to bribe children....ROFLMAO

Ways of bringing up children don't interest me, Cassandra. Ways of training dogs do. Smile
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd die to be able to only use a voice correction............I use prongs to keep my boys in line when needed.Cassandra you met them tonight..........unstable or under control?
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
I just use my voice, Marcella, to motivate them, and also treats to encourage them. Always have done with both my dogs. It works really well. Smile

However, when i'm training my Westie, I no longer give her treats after every command now. With the crossbreed, however, I am at the moment but she'll be getting weened off them soon!

I want them to do what I ask for me, not just for the food. However, Molly (Westie) will do anything for food! Shocked Laughing

Voice commands work for me with Murphy ......... I think my fog horn voice scares the pants off him Laughing And when he gets praise he loves it. But Diesel is a different kettle of fish Confused The previous trainer at the club before John took over used to refer to Diesel as The Gangster Laughing she said she'd never met a more arrogant pig headed dog. Thankfully he's all talk and no action.
But, I wouldn't have him any other way ........ he's brilliant!
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
I'd die to be able to only use a voice correction............I use prongs to keep my boys in line when needed.Cassandra you met them tonight..........unstable or under control?

I never found it that difficult, to be honest.

Prongs?! Yeah right, John, so you do! Shocked Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: