Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
*in best max bygraves voice*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Nicola wrote:
I read a bit in a dog mag a while ago about alcohol and dogs. A small amount of alchohol is enough for a small dog to have fits. It was pretty grim reading actually. I'll rummage through the mags to see if I can find it.

I, personally, wouldn't give my dogs alcohol.

So...based on the above post would you say then that you agree with Enid and that 'small' dogs...or indeed 'toy' breeds are not cut out for alochol on any level?

I don't think any dog should be given any amount of alcohol at all, at any time.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My assumption there was based on the fact you specified 'small' dogs in your reference to the article. I wasn't sure if this was your assumption or just a quote from the magazine. Thank you for clearing that up.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
My assumption there was based on the fact you specified 'small' dogs in your reference to the article. I wasn't sure if this was your assumption or just a quote from the magazine. Thank you for clearing that up.

It was a quite from a magazine article or giving dogs alcohol.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might to more harm than good if Jodie gave up now. Cold turkey and all that.

(Eh - Jodie loves cold turkey - what am I saying?)
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interested to read the article if you have a copy still could you type it up or scan it?.

If it was indeed a quote...the article obviously differentiates size at least, this could also be transferred not to unrealistically to breed too I suspect.

I am trying to find reference to that article and its author in my wee story Confused
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: http://www.qeok.com/dogs/1640-qeok.html Reply with quote

http://www.qeok.com/dogs/1640-qeok.html
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Would be interested to read the article if you have a copy still could you type it up or scan it?.

If it was indeed a quote...the article obviously differentiates size at least, this could also be transferred not to unrealistically to breed too I suspect.

I am trying to find reference to that article and its author in my wee story Confused

I'll have a look for the article over the next week, i'll scan it on to the computer.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-freeze...that's nice...they put that in vaccines Very Happy Actually having said that I only have that particular piece of information confirmed for human vaccines.

I can't find the magazine now. It was published in the Dalesman a few years back. That is the Yorkshire equivalent of the Scots magazine you have up here.

In was one of their regular features where a wannabe female trialist (*gasp* that's almost unheard of in old Yorkshire tha' knows) is taking instruction from one of the top sheepdog trainers in the country and happens to live in my home town. She writes about her experiences and that of her mentor.
People bring their dogs to him from all over for him to train up to trial standards...and beyond.

That BTW is the man I referred to earlier. He took him for some Barnsley Bitter I believe Very Happy
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were introduced to a border collie breeder and trialist some years back at a friends' house near Bainbridge. Can't remember his name though. Wonder if it's the same chap.
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe he breeds them Enid, just trains em up. He has his own working farm aswell. He comes across very Yorkshire in the journals lol.

I don't actually think they have published his name ya know, because I can hear the barrage of abuse folk would get if they turned up on his farm Laughing
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wasn't very sociable, if I remember. Typical Yorkshireman. I can say that, 'cos my husband is one too!
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
He wasn't very sociable, if I remember. Typical Yorkshireman. I can say that, 'cos my husband is one too!

See now I told Drew Yorkshire was invading Scotland and he didn't believe me Twisted Evil
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God help us all!
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes you wonder how dogs of yesteryear ever lived to a ripe old age doesn't it Rolling Eyes .

My uncles old dogs used too have a tot of whiskey in their morning bowl of tea along with the men , before they set out into the darkness to catch them birds roosting in the tree's. Put hairs on their chests my uncles used to say Very Happy

Ahh well...with all this new age dog husbandry reports , it would be amazing if they ever got out the door without a health and safety risk assessment nowadays with our dogs eh *sighs*

A little o what you fancy does you good, my old granny used to say Wink I think a wee bit o common sense wouldn't go a miss either eh Nicola. Lets face it, if we follow every new report to the letter we would be running off to the vets every two seconds in fear of poison. I just rescued a toad from the jaws of my lad. Much more toxic, and Yay for piriton Smile

Sam
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Ahh well...with all this new age dog husbandry reports , it would be amazing if they ever got out the door without a health and safety risk assessment nowadays with our dogs eh *sighs*

Sam

Very Happy ............ you're not wrong there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: