Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
RSPCA v SPCA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: RSPCA v SPCA Reply with quote

I was quite saddened to read this! Surely the aim should be to help and save animals in BRITAIN full stop and not to mislead and cause people to mistrust and therefore with-hold from making donations. Does it REALLY matter where the animals are? If the need help they need help simple as and the help should be there for them Evil or Very Mad

Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't agree with the campaign poster. Rolling Eyes

At first glance, it is saying to me that donating to the RSPCA (or SPCA!) wont help any animals.

It will have a negative impact on both charities I think as unless the poster is 20 foot high, I doubt a random joe public will read the rest of the text after "THE RSPCA WONT SAVE ME"

I do agree that the RSPCA should not be advertising in Scotland if they dont deliver any benefits to scottish animals.
I don't agree with the 'stealing the funds back' move the MSP is campaigning though.
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite agree Ross - Media sensationlisation (sp) having a negative impact YET AGAIN!!!!! as usual it will be the innocent animals that suffer Evil or Very Mad

RSPCA should NOT fundraise in Scotland full stop if they have no intention of assisting those animals that live there Evil or Very Mad

As for clawing the money back retrospectively - how on earth are they going to evidence the exact sum raised - a lot is monetary donations and there mightn't be a decent audit trail to follow. Perhaps the best course of action would be to put in place guidelines effective immediately backed up with a media campaign clearly outlining the FACTs and not sensationalised media reporting? Confused

I hope no animals suffer in the interim due to this!!!!
David
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One does have to wonder why we have two different charities with the same aims and such similar names. Why not be one? We do not split other charities between borders.

I think if you had to poll the public most would not realise that the RSPCA are not representing Scotland's animal welfare. If nothing else, this campaign will highlight that issue.

It may even stimulate some more funds from the public to the SSPCA
Joe
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Sorry dont agree. Very misleading to say the least.

If I support the RSPCA the R (Royal) bit should be a little give away, I would have liked it to mean the Uk, Britain, Britannia, 4 home countries, etc etc.

Not ESPCA English Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and this comment is not a slant in any way against my English friends who I am extremely proud to know.

However, I think the real losers out of this oh I swore petty campaign are the animals that these societies were formed to support, which to me is unnacceptable. I hope the board at the SPCA withdraw with immediate effect this campaign and promote the good in what it does in an extremely positive manner and get the message across if you want to assist in Scotland its the SPCA any where else its the RSPCA.

or join and split any monies collected.

contentious I hope not, honesty yes
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all contentious in my opinion Joe - I would like to see a lot more money raised to help animals all over our country and I believe the RSPCA have done some serious damage to their image with this.

Like you say ALL that matters is the animals - where they are geographically should NOT be an issue - if they are in need, they are in need, it is THAT simple and they SHOULD be helped.

I'm disgusted they are letting a "border" a oh I swore imaginary line for God's sake prevent them from helping animals - but funnily enough (NOT) it's not such a barrier to them when they wish to raise funds.

I am becoming more and more disillusioned with them over time and hope and pray they get their act together before people with-hold their support in their droves and (hopefully) redirect it to other more efficient charities. By efficient I mean those that aren't tied up with bureaucracy and posturing and actually get stuck in and HELP the animals they claim are their priority!
Joe
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed pal

It seems that prententious people have missed what the message is and forgot that all this bickering will make people think what they are doing instead of just giving and possibly not donate.
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get annoyed by the number of RSPCA collection tins and wee dogs you put money in which are around in pet stores in Scotland, especially the large multiples who obviously are UK wide. Many people here do not realise RSPCA do not aid animals in Scotland. Kids usually pester parents to put money in the cute dog...
I also resent the fact that both these organisations pay vast sums to their executives. I was very P'd off to discover our local vet is paid £80K p.a. as an exec.
Many organisations like Scottish Great Dane Rescue and other breed specific rescues have so few funds and do great work. We do not have funds which would allow the kind of advertising which brings in larger donations.
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with that too Lorna. The execs should get a decent salary but NOT an obscene one!!!! That vets fee is oh I swore outrageous!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Sure he's working "just for the good of the animals"! Evil or Very Mad

As usual the actual "workers" - those that actually get involved and get their hands dirty will be paid a pittance - small wonder of that some of them don't care therefore to do their job properly.
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the workers at SSPCA rescues we have come in contact with are indeed doing a good job for a pathetic salary. Many people are working with other rescues as volunteers too. So many dogs are being taken in these days. I hope people keep contributing in any way they can.
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Lorna. I pay monthly, just a small amount to them and PDSA by direct debit. I can't stop them as I feel if only a penny from every pound goes to actually help an animal in need that it's a penny well spent. We also contribute via Staffies a % for some goods sold direct to SBTR. Smile
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been a bit anti RS/SSPCA as their views on certain things just dont sit with me, BUT I do agree that they are needed for certain things.

I pay from my wages to Dogs Trust, have for years, also WSPA and always will Smile
jackdeb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew this...........and i'm raging thats outrageous i think if i give a donation to a charity thats collecting it my area it should go the charity whether it be in scotland or england it shouldn't be an issue and i'm sure there's plenty other folk didn't realize that either..........a charity should be to help everyone or animal not singled out to one particular region Evil or Very Mad

debs
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure from a communications professional point of view - the poster campaign is brilliant. It has got people talking, people who didn't realise that their cash was not being used in Scotland. And that's important to some people.

They will now no longer put money in RSPCA tins, which means SSPCA will have more dosh. Job done.

I'd be interested to know why there are 2 agencies though - doesn't make sense. Anyone know the background.

At the end of the day, as long as an animal is helped, I don't care where it is, but I would rather give to a national agency who can best judge how best to spend my money and who have a lot of it.
Joe
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

My real concern now is that money that was being paid freely into these collection boxes / dogs / etc etc. Will now result in people questioning should I or should I not and probably wont put money into any of them.

sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: