Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Living With Wolves
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Living With Wolves Reply with quote

Just posted this over on Staffies and thought I'd share with you too - it's fascinating viewing

Over on Animal Planet +1 right now - fascinating stuff and the Wolves are just beautiful

With Jim & Jamie Dutcher who spent 6 years living with the pack and gaining their trust to enable them to film this documentary. Never heard of either of them before but this is facinating to watch - I've already fallen in love with the elder male though funnily enough it's a young cub taking the Alpha role just now It's based in the Sawtooth Mountains and the pack has been put together out of Wolves who hadn't met before to see how the pack mentality pans out and to see if they will form the usual social group - so far so good
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen this one but have seen Sean Ellis........fantastic stuff.

john
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy seems to be completely different to Shaun plans wise. I believe Shaun is looking at breeding a hybrid pack? Shaun certainly seems to have a natural affinity with his pack and I will be trying to watch his new programme to see for myself again how things are panning out there.

This man, Jim Dutcher, has "his" Wolves in more natural surroundings in the Sawtooth Mountains and seems to want to keep them wild and natural in their behaviour but get himself accepted as a presence there so he can study them scientifically as opposed to fully integrate himself - not too sure as I'm still watching it, had it on live pause for a while. He doesn't appear to want to hybridise them just let them develop as a pack and breed for themselves keeping their bloodlines clean. Fascinating watching the Wolf pack behaviour Cool
kirsty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John this is the documentary I was talking about last year. I would love to see it again. Jack can you give me a channel number and a time please
geri carroll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun Ellis is back on tv this week-Tuesday 17th channel 5 Mr and Mrs Wolf- he tries to introduce his girlfriend to the wolves
kirsty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The female in this documentary really bonds with one of the lower ranking wolves but cannot give it any affection for fear that the other wolves would attack it. at one point in the doc she recalls a moment that she found profoundly moving.....she was along with the wolf and it just put its paw on her chest and stared into her eyes.

I was sobbing at this point....it was one of the most moving tv moments I have ever experienced.

so want to watch this programme again.

they do go back years later and the wolves recognise and welcome them immediately
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kirsty it's on now Animal Planet +1 - I disappeared for a while there but I AM recording it. Wink
kirsty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,just managed to wipe your pm Shocked

that was a kind offer. and I will pm you

what channel number is annimal planet? I have scrolled down all the channels and cannot find it
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty - it's 535 Wink

How bl00dy ridiculous is this? I am in floods because they've just released the Wolves into their forever home to be wild and untainted by man so have had to say their goodbyes Crying or Very sad

Signing off to grab a late supper - I'll check that recording is OK and let you know Smile
Erin C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've watch something like that before but I don't really remember Confused

Anyway... I watch this thing called the lion man that's a bit like what you are talking about but instead of wolves, it's lions, tigers, leopard, and cheetahs Razz
kerry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i think i have seen this before, is it an old program, and they are called the saw tooth pack?? released on native Indian territory? if it is had me in tears for most of it, such a sad moving documentery Sad
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry - yep that's the one - it was brilliant - I plan to watch it again completely uninterrupted this time so I can focus fully on it -it was brilliant. I'd love to see a follow up - of the humans going back to the place the Wolves were released in and see if they recognised them and how they react.
The Wolves were so beautiful Smile

Erin - I watch The Lion Man all the time - just brilliant though not something I could do I don't think, one swipe off those beasts and I'd be a goner - i'll stick to my devil dogs Very Happy
kirsty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

If the humans did not go back in this programme, there is def a follow up...I felt at the time it must have been a two parter because I seemed to see this only nearer the end when the wolves were being moved and they do go back and the wolves come to greet them it is amazing...but as life would dictate the lifespan of the wolves meant some of the older ones had passed.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Kirsty - I didn't catch the ending as I was interrupted in my viewing Evil or Very Mad but I'll scan later just to be safe, I'll also check for a series link to make sure if it is on I don't miss it. The Wolves were so beautiful and so amazing to watch them in their natural behaviours and habitat Smile
kirsty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many folks recently saw Jim and Jamie Dutcher's beautiful documentary, "Wolves at our Door," on the Discovery Channel. The program detailed the organization and development ...

www.forwolves.org/ralph/sawtoothpacks.htm ยท Cached page

Read through this link....its heartbreaking....not too good at linking hope I have the right thing....its telling us about the free sawtooths and the protected pack....the wolves are not wearing so well....sometimes I just hate humankind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: