Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Sofa Chancer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've never let Otto on the sofa or upstairs. He's not even allowed in the living room till evening.

I got down to him to give him a cuddle.

He's only once tried to get up when I wasn't feeling well, one paw at a time and as tempting as it was to cuddle into him I told him to get off.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's tough when they are puppies, but it's worthwhile in the long run!
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Janice wrote:
I end up on the floor with Dale. How silly is that Embarassed

Hmmm....just invite him up beside you, Janice! Much more comfortable! Very Happy Laughing

Nicola, you surprise me! Aren't you into dog psychology? If you were you'd know that letting the dog be equal to you is extremely confusing to them and not kind to them in the long run.
I know it's great to get a cuddle from your dog, I cuddle mine all the time, but on my terms and not on the sofa and they certainly don't object to that. They are very happy and content, as I'm sure you can agree having seen them.
It's really easy to make allowances when it's a small breed ............ I'm sure you'd never have allowed it if you had 2 great danes!!!! Laughing But they still have the same instincts as any other dog.
Every dog trainer from Victoria Stilwell and Jan Fennell who you say you admire, will tell you that is an absolute no no.
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy wrote:
I used to let Dora on the sofa until it became apparent that she thought she was the boss of the house and wanted me to do what she wanted, it was pretty slow and if I hadhn't known any better I might not have noticed the little things she done to get up the ranks, she started on the couch then on top of the couch then up at the window ledge then she waould constanly ask to get outside to play even 20 mins after a 2 hr walk and she would persist with it until I went to bed. So for me it was essential to regain the top ranks in the house as Dora was starting to ignore me outside and I was putting her at risk on walks. Now i can see how many people would not notice this behaviour and think it's ok for the dog to be on the couch and barking at everything that passes the house and that they must be really clever to ask to go outside but I realised it was not cute but her being dominante. Now I have changed things at home and she is no longer allowed on the couch, and I ignored the asking to get out and I dictated the times we went out. this has worked a treat and Dora no knows her place in my house, now I will occasionally bring her on my knoee for a cuddle but only when I want and never when she asks. If i'm busy, guest or need a bit of peace they now go into there crates and are quiet as buttons and very happy. As a result I have two very happy dogs and a very happy house. I can't recomend this apporach enough if you are finding your dog is dictating thngs i the house.

Lindy

Is interesting to hear that lindy. Doogle has been up to similar things i.e. barking all the time to go outside, but most of the time he doesn't want a pee at all just a sniff around (wee oh I swore!!!) And he is persistent. We have just started ignoring him now cos i think he thought we were at his beck and call. We're trying to be strict with the sofa now as well. I will be top of the pack!!!! Laughing Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs are experts at training their humans Laughing

It is very easy to miss how much their actions can actually get us to do things for them!
If you can nip this early the dog will be more relaxed content in their familypack.
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a book around a few years ago called 'How to Train Your Human' I'm sure it was written by a collie. I just think I've got in top of one thing and have to start on something else. But life would be so dull without him.Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JANICE - YOU'VE JUST BECOME A SITE ADDICT!!!!!!! wav
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I go down on to the floor, Otto immediately starts playing up and being wild ie jumping on my back and being generally disrespectful - it's as if he sees me in a different light ie lower than him.

Doesn't do it with Ian so much as even at ground level, he's not exactly small.

If I sit beside him to give him a clap, minute he refuses to lie down, I get up and go back on the sofa and he calms right back down. Just puts his head on the sofa for a clap.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get on the floor either, I call them over and they sit at my feet for a pet. They'll give me a paw so I can scratch their elbows Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Nicola wrote:
Janice wrote:
I end up on the floor with Dale. How silly is that Embarassed

Hmmm....just invite him up beside you, Janice! Much more comfortable! Very Happy Laughing

Nicola, you surprise me! Aren't you into dog psychology? If you were you'd know that letting the dog be equal to you is extremely confusing to them and not kind to them in the long run.
I know it's great to get a cuddle from your dog, I cuddle mine all the time, but on my terms and not on the sofa and they certainly don't object to that. They are very happy and content, as I'm sure you can agree having seen them.
It's really easy to make allowances when it's a small breed ............ I'm sure you'd never have allowed it if you had 2 great danes!!!! Laughing But they still have the same instincts as any other dog.
Every dog trainer from Victoria Stilwell and Jan Fennell who you say you admire, will tell you that is an absolute no no.

Marcella,

Yes, dog psychology does interest me! However, as my dogs aren't in any way boisterous or dominant, they are allowed up on to the sofas. They also move when I tell them to, without a fuss. If they attempted to refuse to move when I told them, then they wouldn't be allowed up at all. Having them on the sofas doesn't appear to be a problem to them, they know their place, it's also not a problem to us. If we're eating, they each lie on a blanket on the floor. They know this routine well and abide by it.

I once watched an episode of' It's Me Or The Dog' by Victoria Stilwell. The episode in question was dealing with a dominant dog. When this dog was on the sofa, he would refuse to move. This was in the form of a growl, snarl and snap. They told him he couldn't get up on to the sofas one minute, then the next told him he could. Resulting in a confused and dominant dog - understandably. She told the family, in no uncertain terms, that they have to either ban the dog from the sofas altogether and never let him up on them, or allow him on to the sofas. I've never heard Victoria once say that all dogs should not be allowed on sofas. Confused

Not sure about Jan Fennell, although I do admire most of her work, there are a couple of things that she states that concern me. I don't have time to go in to them now, but one day I will! Wink
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issy it's the best thing I have done with Dora she is much calmer and doesen't do all the barking anymore, stick with it Doogle will be much happier that way. Very Happy
kirsty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must fess up - some weekends its 4 in a bed, Lindsay and I are both kinda large people and we have a super king size bed - dodge can come up and in between us without us even knowing, he does it commando style, stealthy, one paw at a time - then big bob gives the game away - he doesnt do stealth Rolling Eyes he just lops onto the bed and lies all over us.

oops - the cats out the bag now John Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Bob never wants up on the couch but Dodge is up every opportunity he gets, I will suss that he is not up in the office with me and think, that little bandit is a bit quiet - I will go down and he is on the couch, knowing full well he is not allowed - I just have to stand at the bottom of the hall put my hands on my hips, he makes eye contact with me and his tail wags like mad - but he gets down with a point of my finger or a snap of my fingers.

We have cream coloured sofas exactly the same colour as Dodge, I reckon he thinks its the perfect camoflage and I cant see him. Wink

Since reading this forum thread, I have not allowed them up and am making a point of keeping the living room door shut.

Where big bob loves to get his attention is when I go to the loo, He comes in turns his back on me, sits down and backs up, I lean right over him and give him a cuddle with my whole torso. A quick cuddle can last for 15 mins Laughing Laughing Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty you've just mentioned something that happens in here all the time .................... the toilet cuddle!!!!! Laughing Laughing Embarassed
If I go into the toilet both dogs follow me in and nudge each other out of the way to get closest. In here there is no such thing as a private toilet stop or bath ......... you always have an audience. Laughing Laughing Laughing
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inca doesn't understand the idea of privacy, she has to be at my side every where except out side Laughing she likes to sit with her head on my knee.
gypsy on the other hand, will stick her nose through the door just to let you know that shes there, then wait to be told she can come in, she gets bored some times and just comes in any way.

our two only want up on the sofa when we are on it, other than that the will just follow you around the house, or lie on the middle landing out side the porch door so the know if you are going out. Inca goes mad if we are going out, she seems to think that if i go to the bathroom i am going to go out the wind with out her, she is at your back every where.

shirley c

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes the toilet just isn't sacred in this house either, there is always one of them trying to get in for cuddles too Rolling Eyes
I am not commenting on the couch issues, I think I may need trained here Embarassed anyway I think my avatar gives the game away
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: