Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
How Long Have You Had a Dog?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: How Long Have You Had a Dog? Reply with quote

How long have you had dogs?

I have had a dog in the house all my life...42years.

Both GSD's and Tibetan spaniels in the family house......There hasn't been a time that I haven't had at least one GSD of my own for the last 29 years.This includes a couple of GSD rescues.......strangely both black dogs.

I started attending dog training classes when I was 17 ( as soon as I had a driving licence).......at that time it was me and my GSD Ash in my mini van......it must have looked hilarious to see a dog that size get out of a mini.

I simply like GSD's......I really like several other breeds........all large but just can't see a reason for switching breed..........after this long I think you gain a far better understanding of what makes them tick.

What is your 'dog history' Laughing
StuartW
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doogle is my first dog. We've had him just since February, and now I just can't believe what I've missed out on over the years! Don't think I'll ever be 'dogless' again Very Happy
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was born into a BC household. Beautiful stunning black and white BC bitch who aparently let me ride on her back when I was wee, she was called Bonnie
I went to live with my grandparents who had a pedigree poodle called Pepe. I don't really remember much about him except he was best friends with the Alsation next door who was called Major.

Most of the other dogs I had contact with have been friends or relatives dogs, cos after the poodle died my gran didn't want to replace him. So we spent alot of time taking care of my uncles dogs...a lab called Sam and a boxer called Ben. He actually broke my nan's arm when he spun round on a walk once Crying or Very sad

I dog walked a border collie named Jack during my teens. Its then I learnt about bc's loyalty to their owners lol. There was also a jack russell called scruff and a chocolate lab whose name escapes me just now.

It wasn't until I was in my twenties I got a doggy of my own...that was a tri-colour farm bred BC called Tor. I miss him a great deal. There are a multitude of reasons he isn't with us now, and he left a lasting impression on my daughter which meant when we decided to get a dog...it could only be a border collie.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing strange isn't Stuart........ once you have a dog you can't imagine not having one!!!!!!!

My dog history ....... I've owned GSDs for the last 20 years. Haven't owned any other breed but I am 'familiar' with Collies (my friend has two) and Tibetan Spaniels (in laws have those!)
To be honest I adore almost all breeds of dog (there are a few exceptions Confused ) and I'd happily care for any of them ........ but I am a sucker for a GSD. Very Happy They simply make wonderful pets and are very very loving!
Sheryl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the pic of that puppy looks like coby!!!!

ive always been around dogs but only had the boys 20 months and my mum and dads dogs meg for 5 years!
but i will always have a dog from now on!
bearing in mind Ive never lost one (thank goodness) so I dont know would need to see!!

sx
Cassandra
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry got a bit carried away with Tor. Its why I don't mention him much.

My dad since Bonnie has always had GSD's, my sister has one now.

We also got a GSD pup from my aunt who was breeding them at the time, but we just didn't have the time to give the dog so rehomed her...she was called Fern
Isabel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dog when i was growing up, she was a mongrel, i think she was made of a bit of everything!!! Very scruffy looking, she was gorgeous, had a really sweet nature. Was dogless from the time i went to uni till now, was desperate to get one though!!! First time I have had a cocker and I'm loving it. Doogle definitely lives up to the dog description of being fun loving and a constantly wagging tail! I still have a soft spot for mutts though (sorry multi-pedigree Wink) !! Laughing Laughing
Magz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on and off for 29 years, the first dog I remember having was Prince a gsd he was a failed police dog, he was a puppy when my dad got him. A lovely big dog, then we had Benji a lab/spaniel he was an absolute gem, he used to play with the budgies and cockateils we had used to carry them in his mouth and they loved it for some reason, very intelligent dog. after he went we didnt have a dog as I had moved out my mum n dads house and decided not to get another dog till I had had my children first. then we had trigger a whippet cross, he was mental, we persevered for a year with him but he was an overly aggressive dog, we had tried everything with him until we found out it was brain damage, it was due to the fact his owner had tried to drown all the pups at birth. we had a break for a while then got sheila and have had many fosters in between then and now till we got Kiera.
paul
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sorry to say, I'm a cat man.... I've only had cats and Koda is my first dog.... Although when we were little my sister and I were known as the street dog walkers, we walked everyones dog, was so much fun.
Then I lived with my friend for a few years when I was a teen, he had a 'Doogle' that went blind and deaf, but was still full of life, then they got a little terrier thing..... I don't actually know what it was but it was small and yapped....
We have had Koda for just over a month... and I love it....
We'll be needing more though cos I'm heading to the south pole to see the penguins....
bring on the happy feet
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLOLOL ............ wear your thermals Paul!!!!!!
I think seeing all the sled dogs yesterday has sent you bonkers! Wink
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up scared of dogs Embarassed Though their were a couple of GSDs that I enjoyed playing with. Then I lived in digs with a gentle giant of a mongrel. I didn't want to move there but got bullied into it by my father . 'she only wants to play' he said as this monster demolished us.
Of course it didn't take long for Rusty to win me round.

Then I started teaching in Abronhill and mentioned one interval we were thinking about a dog. Rhona immediately said I know where there's get a lovely Irish setter. I didn't even know what they looked like, but you learn fast with a 9 month setter whose already worn out four other owners. Well he ruled us for the next 14 years.

Def. no more dogs' I said, but Henry was 10 and decided we needed a collie. To be fair he did walk Sam every morning before school and taught him all the vital things about football and cricket, while I got involved with the training club in Dundee. Mary the trainer kept telling me not to think I could train a dog because Sam was so good.

We lost Sam last November and I didn't want another because I'd never get one like him again. But the house just isn't right without a dog.........We just had a look at epupz and there was Dale only in Blantyre so not too far to visit and if you like collies how could you not love him?

So we've had a dog for about 28 years but really don't have much training experience. We let Paddy run our lives and Sam just loved doing things right.
Magz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice the rhona you mentioned wasn't Cheyne?
Janice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember her surname, but she lived in Abronhill and had a setter called Amber and two daughters who must be in their thirties by now. I worked there about 1979/80
Magz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I can't remember her surname, but she lived in Abronhill and had a setter called Amber and two daughters who must be in their thirties by now. I worked there about 1979/80

I thought it might have been my friends mum, she is a doggy person and worked there too.
kerry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
LOLOLOL ............ wear your thermals Paul!!!!!!
I think seeing all the sled dogs yesterday has sent you bonkers! Wink

he is like that all the time Smile obsessed with penguins lol.

Well i grew up with a cocker spaniel called skip, think i got him for my 2nd birthday Smile loved him to bits, would def get another spaniel, they are so full of energy, we eventually lost him due to kidney failure and a grand old age of 14, almost 15. Also we spent the holidays at my Grans during the summer holidays, my Papa always had an Alsatian, the first being Troy, and the second being a long haired one called Kaiser. they were gentle giants, absolutely great dogs. i would love taking them walks. A few were scared of Kaiser as he was a big dog and a played a bit rough, but he never put a foot wrong with me.
Went a few years without a dog, moved into flat in glasgow and the timing was all wrong, but now we have have had Koda for just over a month, love having him, reminds me how much i have been missing, he is a lot of work but it will just make it all the more rewarding when he responds to you. So i am definitely a dog person more than a cat person, but having cats changed my mind on them and love having them around also. Actually I'm just an animal person Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: