Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Training Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claire/Mark
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Training Suggestions Reply with quote

Ok been on the internet trying to look into what sort of training you should and should not do before bringing a new baby home. There is so much so thought I would see what you guys did if yous did anything.... I now have a buggy thanks to Michael and started going out walking to train them to walk beside it etc... Going to get myself a wee doll that crys and stuff. But does anyone else have any other suggestions. I just want to make sure that the change is as easy as possible on Tara and Mylo. And there is so much on the internet Shocked
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We brought 2 kids up with our old dog Ollie (boxer) with no problems at all. I am NO expert at all but the more relaxed you are the better. Just the same as you would with a puppy in my opinion, start as you mean to go on. YOU decide the rules etc. NOW is the time to sort out what YOU are going to tolerate. Dogs upstairs or not, etc, or on the bed or whatever, YOU are the pack leaders, the dogs need to give the baby space, NEVER leave them alone together (no matter how much you trust your dogs).
I didnt do this, but have seen Cesar suggest bringing baby clothes home for dogs to smell after baby born...but at a distance. They need to respect the baby's scent as being dominant to them... hope this helps...

You will be great!

Lisa
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are doing everything right babes,the only thing i would suggest babes is that you introduce baby toiletries for her to smell like baby bath,shampoo,wipes,nappies,clothes etc before the bambino comes along and when the dog tries to put its mouth to the scent then correct and baby will be automatic pack leader xx
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys a will do that to Very Happy
geri carroll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the dogs to FOLLOW the buggy, never them in front, then buggy and baby become pack leader
dogs not allowed in nursery without your permission-they wait at the door

after all your worrying, you will probably find the dogs will sense vibes from yourselves and steer well clear of baby though I would NEVER leave the dogs and baby unsupervised
jackdeb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this you guys.

Some of it sounds a bit OTT.

But you should do what you feel is right for you.

Practicing with the pram and establishing a no entry to the nursery sound like good ideas.

I know it goes with out saying, never leave the sprog and the dogs unsupervised.

What does Caesar say, I thought Mark would have checked this out already.

Good luck.

Jack
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched an episode of Ceasar where he was helping a couple introduce a baby into their home. I have been taping all re-runs recently trying to see it again, as I had told Corrinne about it,- no joy. From memory he claimed all babies possessions and tied the dog to the pram keeping the dog behind the pram on walks thus elevating the pram/baby in pack order. Also created an invisible fence at the nursery door making it a no go area unless invited for the dog.Will continue to record and watch out for the re-run of the episode. Don't remember if it was on the discs that John has may be worth asking him.www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/addition_baby.php - 29k

/www.kerryblues.info/WDJ/BABY.HTML
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cesar episode is on now on Sky 3.......sorry just walked in more than half way through it.......hope you caught it, I'd record it but am already recording 2 things, sorry Sad
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this article. Thought it could help. Introducing dogs and babies. pdf file.

leerburg.com
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been through it myself, but I remember my mum bringing home my sister and the dog going under the coffee table and whimpering for 2 days. But there were never any issues (she was a lab/GSD cross).

I think the key was to a) the dog knew her place ie she wasn't indulged b) my mum was very relaxed about it all, mind you it was baby no. 4 c) they were never left alone

She was a very laid back character, my sister learned to walk holding her tail and would just lie on top of her and she didn't bother. She was young herself, she was less tolerant of kids as she got older.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: