Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
IN LIGHT OF RECENT EVENTS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Margaret J
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: IN LIGHT OF RECENT EVENTS Reply with quote

I would like to Begin this post by categorically stating that there is no malice intended towards either Allan/Shirley or John/Club...

I hope you all know me well enough to know that if this was not something I felt strongly about then I would be saying nothing and I am the last to shout about dogs being dogs and having a bit of a rough and tumble.....

However, in light of Charlie’s injury I am left wondering how we stand in terms of insurance????

Now, my own 3-dogs are covered and therefore if my dog was to have caused this injury then I would have stepped up and insisted that the dog be taken to the vet and my policy used for cover and of course I would pay the excess.......

Therefore, I would expect nothing less if my dog was the injured party…. and I believe most dog owners would expect the same.... after all if an incident like this was to occur outwith the club for instance down the Glen then you would automatically be expected …. At the very least cough up for the bill .... (this happened to one of the club members a while back when they had not long had their dog and they had to pay up for the bills)...and at worst be faced with the police and possibly a dangerous dog notice applied (please remember as stated above this is a general note to all dog owners).

i urge us all as dog owners and John as club organiser and trainer to look at and possibly consider including insurance cover as part of the checks during registration to ensure that we are all adequately covered...........I know that not all dogs have insurance and this is the point ...........what happens in the event of the owner either not offering insurance or if they are simply not covered???? Who foots the bill especially in the event of the injured dog and the attacking dog not being covered?????

Sorry to rant on and i sincerely hope that i have not stepped on anyone’s toes
However, there is always at least one of my dogs left out in the foyer whilst i train one in class and although it didn't cross my mind until now!!... It now prays on my mind to what the outcome would be!!!!!!

Charlie was luck to have Michael as an owner as he has medical training and knows what wet lungs sound like……unlike me who wouldn’t have had a clue and therefore in my hand Charlie may possibly have passed away!!!!!!!!!
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid point margaret and i couldn't have put it better myself!......i am more the willing to bring along my insurance details for emily to take note of and would hope others would do the same!

I do feel personally that this has been played down somewhat and not enough said about it publicly and it happened in public during a training class! after all i would like to think that Cumbernauld Dog Training was a safe environment for both dog and handler.....we also have a lot of youngsters who attend with their parents!

If this had gone as far as being reported he could have been inches away from having a dangerous dog notice attached!

It looks like charlie will make good recovery in time and for that i am thankful!.......however i fear he may change his personality becoming timid !
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points made. I see no malice in there and I'm sure noone else will either, just very valid concerns for your own and each others dogs - that is actually very commendable. Conscious of the breed I have and the way many people slate them, knowing nothing at all about them, I take extra care and precautions with my lot. THEY are my prime concern - others benefit because of that - I practice very very strictly what I preach. Smile

I suggest everyone who has pet Insurance checks their policy to ensure it covers not only their own pets but also the Public Liability element of damage caused to persons or animals BY those pets. Some policies could exclude this cover and some owners of dogs either of a certain breed or of a certain disposition may find it impossible to get adequate, if any, cover.

I was really sorry to hear about the events and wish Charlie a continued, speedy recovery. I hope his nature remains good - Michael, step up hunny - that's a bit of hard work for you ahead but I know you can do it Wink
Margaret J
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i am off to bed it is far to late for me to be up.................so i will leave you all to ponder .....feel free to reply even in the event that you don't agree.......................
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back home and read this post..........perhaps we should be checking individual dog insurance when we check vaccination certificates?

I feel that ALL dogs that attend class should be on leash at all times other than when in a class situation..................( after all I crate Murphy unless he is demonstrating)

John
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i ask john if this would include your insurance being displayed as shop/restaurants/businesses have theirs for public view!?
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:
can i ask john if this would include your insurance being displayed as shop/restaurants/businesses have theirs for public view!?
.....for.example.if.someone.slipped.on.a.piddle!!!!
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Charlie has been castrated. One thing I have noticed is that the dogs that are kicking of on the walks and classes are dogs which haven't been. That could be an answer or just coincidence.
As for the insurance I think all dogs have to be insured, even for third party incidents. What if someone got a bite breaking up two dogs by accident. I have the top plan with Marks and Spencers and am very happy with the cover it gives me.
On a personal note, I go to the class for the dogs to get socialized with other dogs and to get some tips with training and use the bits that suit Clyde and myself.
I will be starting agility training in May and might have to stop going to the classes, but not sure yet. Once again I will have to watch out for the safety of my dog with new dogs I don't know yet. I don't have a perfect dog, but do know the signs if anything will go wrong.
I have to say I have enjoyed the classes and most of the walks with the club, and would advise more owner to go along.
Margaret J
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say that i am surprised to say the least at the posts this has received .........

well they say ..............silence is golden ..........
............but in this case i feel you may be thinking ...........
............least said soonest mended........

well i feel that it is the opposite ........ and i may be in the minority .................but i miss the banter that used to go on in the forum OK we didn't all agree (after all we are only human) but at least opinions were viewed and people weren't afraid to give it ................ '

i don't often post but when i do you can rest assured i am looking for others to reply and put their point across ..........i am not looking for you to agree or disagree...but this is a place where we all share a space in time and find that we can get together with like minded people ......however if this is not the case then why bother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't feel that our silence is helping the situation and to be perfectly honest staying quiet to spare feeling is only adding to tension and could result in loyal members leaving the club...............due to discontent ....

maybe it would be a good idea if John/club where to get together as a group and voice our opinion and our feeling in a adult manner to clear the air and decide how we can move forward to a place where we can all feel at ease again !!!!!!!!!!!

i will be a club tonight so hope to see you all there
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.too.will.be.at.the.club.tonight.....and.i.am.up.for.a.club.gathering/meeting.to.voice.every-ones.opinion.and.concerns!......can.i.just.add.this.is.no.witch.hunt.but.several.club.members.concerned.for,.the.safety.of.their.dogs.and.other.owners!.....i.really.thought.we.were.a.group.of.like.minded.folk.from.different.walks.of.life.who.have.a.common.bond.for.dogs.and.their.welfare!
Margaret J
Site Addict

[quote="Gordon"]Does anyone know if Charlie has been castrated.

Gordon in reply to this Charlie is only 4-months old so no he is not snipped
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

I think its a very valid suggestion.

Alan, Lynsey, Meg, Peanut and new arrival Bella
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points, I would certainly be willing to bring my dog insurance along to class. It's a shame that something like this has happened at class but I know my insurance does cover liability to other pets and owners but hope that I would never have to use it. Sad
Margaret J
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am defo not out for a witch hunt or to ostracize anyone i just thought this would clear up any unresolved matters and reduce any tension at the club

i regard the people involved as friends and do not wish this to change so i hope that the post is taken in the way that it is intended ......with no malice or bad intention just concern
Jim & Geraldine
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
we didn't know anything had happenend at training. We are sorry to hear about Charlie's injuries and wish him a speedy recovery.
Buster is insured and we would not mind bringing his papers to training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: