Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
angered by bbc program my family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magz
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: angered by bbc program my family Reply with quote

Was watching my family tonight on bbc1 and the story line was about getting a dog from rescue.

There was a bit when Ben was handcuffed in a cage with a supposed aggressive dog.

Which type of dog did they use

A rottweiler

It has really made my blood boil.

I have messaged them with a complaint as it is only enforcing the stigma of the breed.

Just thought I would share as I for one will not be watching the program again its made me so angry.
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well...at least it wasn't a Staffie Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sorry Magz don't mean to belittle your outrage. Good on you for taking a stand! X
Emma Hardie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I totally agree with you - Rotties & bully breeds get enough undeserved bad press.
its always them that are made out to be aggressive like a broken record, when really they make some of the best pets.
Good on you for complaining

Emma, KT the greyhound, Robbie the lurcher, Pheonix (Pisces) & Soho (Stuart Little Junior) the Chihuahuas x
greyhounds make greyt pets! x
www.gal.org.uk
Vikki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was interested to hear on the news this morning they are reviewing the whole dangerous dog issue and looking to make it about the owners - not the dog. After all, we all know who's really responsible when a dog attacks.
kerry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i watched that program, it never said the dog attacked, just abused him by grapping his goolies Smile it could have had something else on its mind love8 , my point is its a bit of comedy, maybe they should have used a tiny wee tea cup dog to get a laugh but them would that have been ok ???? , forgive me but sometimes we pick at everything these days, it was clear for everyone to see that dog was friendly with its big tongue hanging out, i agree rotweillers are a stunning breed with a lot of bad press , but what out there doesnt have a stigma attached to it these days, you cant say boo without someone taking it the wrong way...
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people are rightly sensitive when their dogs, or rather it's breed, are reflected in a bad light and things like this will offend - as you say Kerry a little dog wouldn't have had the comedy value but then wouldn't have offended people as THEY are NEVER tarnished with the Dangerous Dogs brush but that's the whole point isn't it? Making a joke or to some a mockery out of that very thing. If the breed of dog you have lost your heart to is categorised as such you ARE offended by things others see comedy value in, you can't help it as you are faced with prejudice and blinkered attitudes day in day out and keeping it in the forefront of peoples' minds, even if wrapped up as comedy, does nothing at all to help you, your feelings OR the attitude people give you and your much loved pets.

I didn't see the programme myself, frankly I would have probably laughed but I can totally see to where Magz is coming from and why it would offend some.

I wasn't impressed a few months back when some gimp, heavy, drug dealer type of thug was in Coronation Street (storyline connected to Tyrones mum Jackie) what breed did the hooded yob have in his car - yep a Staffie - now THAT offended and peed me off. Comedy I take as Comedy but the Corrie thing wasn't comedy, it was however sadly an accurate reflection of life and people's perceptions Sad
kerry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh what i was meaning by the small dog is that is could have potentially been funnier, a wee dog taking him on Smile lol, but what i meant was that could then potentially have angered people with that breed. dont get me wrong i hate it when people deliberately misrepresent a dog, not fair at all, but it wasnt the case here, well not that i felt,the dog was in a rehoming place, they were actually trying to tell people you have to be strict with your dogs and not treat them like babies etc which i thought was quite good. Tv shows do try, but they have a point to do an that is to attract viewers. if every tv show had to step on egg shells to please everyone it would be boring. and if this was what was fealt there were other things to be angered by, rather than concentrating the obvious moo point, like are they trying to say rescue places rehome aggressive rotweillers??

again just my feelings, and i am not saying every show out there does it right Smile
kerry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i'm not trying to say anyones opinion is wrong, everyone is affected differently and that is fair enough, and off course if you had a Rottweiler you would maybe be more sensitive which is maybe why in that partiular incident i didnt think it was that bad? who knows, anyway back to studying Smile
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this programme too and thought it was very funny , like Kerry i think it was just a bit of fun ! Id be over the moon if it was a Dane that was featured. They can have Hek any time for filming "at a price"

Colin
Magz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am just over sensitive.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Magz....like I say I'd have probably laughed but all the while I WOULD have been thinking...."well THAT'S helping us ain't it?"

PMSL Colin - Imagine the mayhem Hek would have caused on set!!! Now THAT I would LOVE to see Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thing is - if you have a breed of dog that ISN'T classed or viewed as others as a "dangerous" breed then your sense of humour is intact and unimpaired by your own feelings.
I actually agree with Kerry - if the dog had been a Chihuahua, Pekingese or something like that the comedy value would have been higher but they chose the easy target - the intimidating vision of a Rottie/Devil Dog and that WILL offend many but not all, owners of well behaved examples of the breed. It's so sad that even in fun the bad aspects of the breed are targetted.
Janis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.have.to.say.i.laughed.out.loud.also.....i.didn't.take.it.too.seriously.......it.is."my.family"....afterall!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: