Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dog attack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elaine erskine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Dog attack Reply with quote

I need some advice Angel was attacked by a pit bull the other day whilst I was out walking her she was on lead and it went for her rear end thankfully it wasn't a serious injury she sustained as I was able to pull angel away and had to unfortunately kick the pit bull of of her (I don't go around abusing other dogs normally)Angel didn't retaliate or attack back which shocked me. Also the owner to my didn't make any attempt to restrain his dog as it came in for a second attack which was unsuccessful as I kicked it away again; what shocked me more than anything was that the owner didn't even try to put his dog back on lead and didn't even ask if Angel was OK and continued to walk with his dog. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I was really shook up shocked and scared by this time and Angel was cowering behind me. we discontinued the walk and took Angel back home to familiar safe surroundings; now when I take Angel on walks and any dogs approaches her or pases her, she either barks or growls at them a behaviour she didn't do before; she has even gone backwards and cowars at any sounds or sudden movements. Iam afraid now to let her off lead when we go to the local park where she loves to run freely but there are always so many other dogs. Has anyone got any advise for me on how I can get her through this time as she was becoming a very friendly sociable dog thanks to the classes. shes been through so much this last 4 months. Help please

Elaine
Lorna
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine, which park? Can you describe the dog? Did you report it?

Angel will have to be walked very calm and confidently by you if she is to get her confidence back. If you are nervous try to walk with someone else too so that you can be more at ease. If you post on the walks section I am sure someone will be able to walk with you. There is always help on here.
If Angel walks with calm dogs she too will be more calm.
Not a good experience. Let's hope you can both get over it quickly.
elaine erskine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't report the attack as we were all in shock at the time; my parents were with me.The attack happened outside St Mary's school in Seafar as I was walking angel for her afternoon walk. I tend to go to the ravens wood playing Behind Our Ladies High School and very often walk to Cumbernauld house park and play there with her that's the park I'm afraid to go to now. I think I am just in shock and it will take a bit of time for my confidence to come back. its just not like Angel to be like that she never has. she's always been timid; I just don't know what to do I try and be confident as I can be Ive never really been scared of dogs but this has thrown me. Help; i want to do what's best for Angel I don't want her to be fret full the rest of her life.

Elaine
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first and most important thing to do is report the attack to the Police NOW. FULL description of dog AND owner. If they are local they can be tracked down.

I'm a HUGE fan of Staffies and Pits who CAN be the most wonderful social dogs BUT I am NOT a fan of ANY aggressive dog and this kind is the most dangerous. ANY dog that attacks the rear end is Red Zone aggressive. It aims to paralize and overpower the dog it is attacking with minimal risk to itself. When the other dog is too weak to stand they go in for the kill. This is either instinctive aggression or more probably TAUGHT dog fighting aggression/honed abilities. The dog either needs removing from the owner and rehabilitating, as the owner is clearly uncaring and unwilling to address this - he's probably proud of his dog and it's behaviour so IF he keeps the dog this will continue. If it is beyond help then for it's own AND every one elses safety it should be humanely euthanised.
Sorry much as I love dogs I would have done EXACTLY the same as you. I would protect MY OWN AT ALL COSTS!!!

The Police NEED to be involved. Either to seize the dog or to ensure it is ALWAYS LEASHED & MUZZLED when out in public. This CANNOT be allowed to go on. Once you have reported him you will feel a little power return to you. I recommend you try and walk with at least one other person AND their dog to help both you and Angel overcome this but ALSO to assist if you should happen across this person and their dog again. Within calm company you AND Angel will begin to relax a little more and start to enjoy your walks again.

So sorry you had such a horrible time but TRY not to dwell on it. Live in the present as dogs do and you will help both yourself and Angel, give in to your understandable fears and the problem will escalate for you both.

Best of luck & lots of love from a RESPONSIBLE Staffie owner/lover.xxxxxxxx
Isabel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about that, it is terrible, hope you are both ok. As the others have said walking with someone else for a while will help give you both some confidence back, why not join one of the group walks. I also agree that you have to report it to the police, it will make you feel a bit better and also hopefully they might be able to do something about the utter moron and the dog before it does it again. There a lot of idiot dog owners in this country that could do with being put down!!!
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im so sorry this has happened to you and Angel too, I do hope you find out who the dog and owner is, tho I would still report it and I would encourage it all the more, having a difficult dog of my own, I do, although some people dont agree here but i do care what damage my dog does to other dogs and would not just walk away, so you do know the difference of a responsible dog owner.

Please report it even if you feel there is nothing can be done now, even just for the report being put in and if you see the dog and owner again keep note of where they walk

Also please contact me if you need a walk with a calm dog, Pixel is well behaved and I dont work fri's but if you need a walk pm or text me, my mobile no is in the mobile list in the dog walks part of the forum. I promise I wont bring Luka Very Happy tho he isnt so bad now, I dont think i would risk Angel getting another scare

do post tho as Lorna says and get out with some of the others on here, Kendals crowd are good dogs too, there are plenty here who have calm dogs and will help you and walk with you to get Angel get back on track
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Shirley!!! As an owner of a "challenging" dog myself (she's never bitten another dog but ONLY because of the precautions I take, some would say that I overdo) I know how horrible it is to accept the loves of our lives are less than perfect Wink But that's the difference isn't it? WE care, WE do all we can to protect others. The person Elaine was unfortunate enough to encounter isn't at all like us and that's the problem and THAT's why something needs doing and fast before someones pet is killed or what f next time it's a CHILD who steps in??? Doesn't bear thinking about!!!!
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats such a shame... im with everyone else, you got to report that... however im not sure how long ago it was and if the police would be interested in it being so long ago.

happy to bring little Giles along for a walk although it might be better getting a calm big dog as Giles usually just collapses on his back in total surrender of other big dogs! Laughing
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw bless him - SUCH a cute image of him in my head now!!! Very Happy
elaine erskine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for you kind and caring support to this attack that happened to myself and Angel. I have now reported the incident now and there is a sense of relief on my part that i have done so; I think shock just set in. However when I reported the attack on Monday there happened to be another incident involving another brown pit bull in the same vicinity the day after and sadly the dog that was attack eds owner was not as young and quick as myself in defending their dog and it received some substantial injuries to its rear end and it went in for a second attack also. This dog has now been traced and put down as it was its 3rd serious attack on dogs whilst it was off lead and the owner made no attempt to put it back on its lead and I found this quite strange. When I went to report the incident It was on record at the station and the owner was told to keep it on lead and muzzled if he wanted to keep his dog but obviously went against the advise and the inevitable happened. I feel saddened when dogs get put down due to irresponsible owners and that if I had have reported the attack on Angel on the Sat this poor collie dog would never have been subject to yet another vicious attack. I would love for Angel to meet with other dog owners as she has gone very timid and regressed backwards quite alot and will dig her paws in if we go on her normal routine morning walk and gets very shaky and timid especially when we get near the school we pass twice during the walk; I have purposefully changed her afternoon walk to avoid the school and head toward the Cumbernauld park and go round there my parents won't go with me on the second walk rarely as they very scared also (that's an understatement) I really do need someone to go with me to build my confidence up as she has never been attacked before and some company on walks would be good with other dogs but I don't have my own transport and miss out on all the walks that the club seems to do and it seems a shame for her to miss out in socializing with the other dogs; any ideas round this I live in seafar. Thanks again for all your support and understanding about me kicking the dog of of my dog I have been feeling guilty about it all and beating myself up as I'm not a violent person towards dogs but when your own dog s involved the whole prospect and outlook changes. you are all a great bunch off people looking forward to getting you know all the better. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
elaine erskine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for all your wonderful advise about reporting the attack to Angel to the police which I did on Mon . However it was a bit late and it has made me so mad; that there was another atack by the same dog in the same area; the attack took place meters from where Angel was attacked and because of the collies injuries the dog had to be put down; and so did the pit bull If I hadn't been so much in shock and caring for Angel I would have reported it the same time as it had happened; and the poor collie would not have been attacked. Again .the pit bull was apparently off lead and the owner again done nothing to prevent it at all the owner of the collie that was attacked wasn't its first attack by this pit bull Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad it sustained some serious angels to it rear end and went in for a second time to its throat but its owner put his hand up and 2 of his fingers ripped if in the attack. The audacity of the owner of the pit bull didn't make any attempt to put a muzzle or at least a lead on it apparently the officer showed me pics of the injuries to the collie it wasn't even 1yr old they were horrific Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Angel got of lucky as I was strong and quick enough to pull angel away and kick the pit bull away but it came back for a second attempt but it looked vicious. This was its 3rd attack on dogs in 3 months and was told that they had to have a muzzle and lead on at all times but they obviously didn't pay any attention; the worst thing was that they had their child with them and for that child to witness that he must have been traumatized in one way or another as he was screaming for the dog to get of but the owner just kicked it once to remove it second time. I was so scared and Angel was so scared that she actually wet and poohed on the spot which disturbed her all the more. I want to walk her as normal but am scared to especially the area she is familiar with to build her confidence but she digs her heels in when she gets near the area where the attack occurred. I also go down to Cumbernauld house walking it's bout 30Min's from where we live and it would do her goo to get out with other dogs but when there is runs out I do not have the transport to get to half the places so am not getting to know places well or people well and angels not getting socialized the way I would like her to have. she's a timid dog but this has set her bak alot and needs alot of time with other dogs to help her overcome this fear; any advice would be greatly appreciated Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Christina McDermott
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine,

I do hope that you are okay. I felt sick reading your post. As a result of irresponsible people there has been a needless waste of life.

I do hope that you and angel can work together and rebuild her confidence.

Just to let you know I am thinking of you.

Christina

http://www.kerryblues.info/

http://www.secondchancekennels.org/index.php
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrific story Elaine.........

I would suggest getting Angel out walking in a small stable group of dogs to help rebuild her confidence.

john
Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine, I walk my Dane round the Glen and Cumbernauld house park. You are welcome to come with Basil and Poppy. Next trip just ask if anyone has car room for you and Angel. I don't think I can fit her in with 2 Danes but if I am only taking Poppy she would fit in the back of my car. We should see how she gets on with Poppy as they would be very close.
PM or phone me if you want to go over C'nauld House park. I live right next to it and could always run you and Angel home afterwards.
Take care,
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine....I'm desperately sorry for you having to go through this and desperately sorry that ANOTHER dog got attacked AND that the PBT has paid with it's life for it's USELESS F***ING OWNERS irresponsible attitude.

I LOVE Pit Bull Terriers - they are incredibly closely related to my beloved Staffies and CAN and DO make the most WONDERFUL companions - just look at Daddy!!!!! They ARE capable of being VERY balanced and social IF their humans teach them right.

I won't stand for YOU TRYING to take ANY responsibility OR blame for this. Let me make this clear to you - NONE of what happened was your fault. NONE of what happened was Angels fault. The fault is VERY clearly the NEDS and the NEDS alone, it wasn't even his dogs' fault IT WAS HIS FAULT!!!!! SIMPLE.

Get in touch with Lorna, she's a wonderful lady and will help both you AND Angel relax and come to terms with things and move on.

Take care & big hugs

Jack.xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: