Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Whats the best way forward

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Whats the best way forward Reply with quote

Felt I was getting somewhere toilet training Ria .... using the pads and seems successful. Morning routine is out for a wee and number 2 and try to keep taking her out at regular times, she does indicate by wandering about a bit, so we generally let her out and she does her stuff. But just recently she's started weeing off the pad especially if she's left in say for an hour!! So not like her at all. Need to do what next?

I know she's only a pup ........ but would like to see progress come.

Also having problems now Ria can get about, she can jump up onto the chair in the kitchen and then up to the table, and started chewing placemats, chair legs.

I did try freezing a wet tea towel and leave that for her to chew on but other than move the kitchen furniture out, what else can I try?

Open to any suggestions!

I follwed the link in one of the puppy questions and have bought a crate on ebay for her, hoping this will help, just feel bad putting her in it.

kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you make sure she has been for a pee before you leave her for the hour.

dose she clime on the work top when you are around or when you are out.

for the table legs i would suggest bitter apple spray as it is a taste deterrent.

Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont feel bad about putting her in a crate! I wish I had done that with Hektor from the beginning but as he is a Great Dane we would have needed an enormous one and we didnt have the space. If we get another (smaller) dog I will be definetely getting one. They see the crate as their own wee den...I dont have any experience yet using one but I am sure there will be someone on later who will be able to give advice.

Hang on in there with the toilet training...perseverance is the key, they eventually get the hang of it.

Good Luck

Lisa
Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crates are seen as their own wee den. I have a Great Dane one and have previously crated Beagles too. When I took Poppy's, Dane's, crate away because she had outgrown it, she was very upset and kept going into the space where it used to be.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Crates Reply with quote

Yeah Kendal, I normally take Ria out for a good walk and she does her business when we're out, and thought that would help her settle when I went out. She never goes up on the table or worktop when I'm in only when I'm out.

Its reassuring to know that they feel the crate is like their den ....... don't feel so bad knowing that, what about needing the loo ............ will she not pee in it?

Do I put her in it just when I go out or do I put her in it at night as well?

Sorry just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for her.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have our second dog (he's 4 months, the big one is 2) and both were crate trained. means they don't learn bad habits and they're much easier to toilet train as they don't want to pee in the place the sleep (unless they have UTIs!!!)

I wouldn't say either of them ever regarded is as their den and neither went into it unless they were told to or incentives were offered (peanut butter kong does it) - they would rather be wherever we are.

You just get her used to it gradually...(loads of advice on this on the web), feed her in it and don't give into the whinge unless you feel it's for a pee.

Our pup is in it every time we can't supervise him = so at night, when no one's home or when we're busy. gives us peace of mind that's he's a) safe b) not peeing c) not misbehaving. He just sleeps when he's in there.

he barks his head off though if he's in there and he knows we're in the house and otto is with us, but he's not the boss so we just ignore him.

If you see bad behavour you can correct it and praise good behaviour...if you can't see it, you can't correct it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: