Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Ria's Crate has Arrived

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Ria's Crate has Arrived Reply with quote

Well Ria's crate arrived today ............ so have tried her in it a couple of times today.

I don't know really what I'm meant to do so any help you can give is much appreciated.

I took her outside to do her business and then put her in it with her bed / bowl with water but when I came back water was everywhere inside it and she was so excited to see me she was going nuts to get out.

Think its me who needs to get used to the crate idea, and just be confident in what I'm doing for Ria, at least in the crate she can't chew the chair legs.

Am I meant to put a puppy pad inside the crate or will taking her outside first to do her business then put her inside the crate?

Help ???? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey just relax about the crate, you will work out what both you and Ria are happy with.

my first to had no problem with watter in the crate, but Echo almost always spills it so i dont tent to put any in unless i feel the need it ie its hot or im going to be out for a couple of hours. you cant get things that attach to the side of the crate to put the watter bole in if you want.

i wouldn't put puppy pads in as you dont want to encourage her to go to the toilet in it.

how is she reacting to the crate, dose she go into it willingly, dose she wine when she is in it. how often are you popping her in and for how long.

ShirleyB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Crate training Reply with quote

Thanks again for your advice Kendal

I wasn't sure if I was to put pad into the crate, so wanted to make sure she had been out first. I think I'll have a look to see if I can get a bottle to attach to the crate.

I only had her in it for about hour and a half this afternoon to see how she would be with it. Then put her in it again for about 2hrs later in the night, so does seem ok its just me that's having the problem with the crate, feel guilty putting her in it, but want her to be safe when I'm out.

So doesn't whine in it at all just gets mega excited when I come back, so my rush is to get the back door open quick enough before letting her out in case she needs to pee.

So we will keep trying .......... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds fantastic, she is doing well if you can leave her for an hour with no whining.

we tried the bottles but i just didnt feel the dogs got enough watter from them compared to lapping from a bowl, we now just have this thing that you can sit the bowl in and attach it to the side of the crate. because Echo still likes to tip the bowl or drags it about.

glad she is doing well keep it up and make it fun, give her a chew so if she dosnt want to sleep she can occupy herself.

ShirleyB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Drinking bowl Reply with quote

What thing is that you attach to the crate and sits in the bowl? Where do you get them?

Ria does tend to spill water in her crate so would like to try what I can for her.

Well I'm hoping it was water and not pee!!
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the kind of thing you can get.
http://www.croftonline.co.uk/products.asp?category=Dog+Bowls+and+Bowl+Holders&subcategory=Bowls+for+dog+crate

i actually dont know where ours is. they dont tend to get water in there crate like i said unless they need it.

allie_jane
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ShirleyB,

I don't post often but I read the forums every day.

I have 9mth old English Springer Spaniels that have been crate trained since we first got them.

Some of the things we found useful were.

They get a treat every time they go into their crate, I say "bedtime" in a happy and upbeat voice, when they were tiny I had to put them in, but now they run in themselves.

I treat every time - without exception.. I know some people see it as bribery but they love their crate I I believe it's because we promoted it as a happy and safe place.

I don't put water in the pups crate, when they were little they drank until they burst and then peed everywhere, so we controlled their water until they could control themselves..

Because I have excitable spaniels, I make sure the back door is open before I let them out their crate, that way I shooch then straight outside for a pee.. with the command "go pee" which feels ridiculous but seems to work...

They have NEVER gone pee or poo in their crate.. it just seems to be an instinct not to..

To help get over your fear of the crate - ours love it.. I really mean that.. it's the place that they go to relax and chill and sleep.. we always planned on getting rid of it eventually but I don't think we will, they like it too much...

Just a little extra, I have a single quilt draped over the crate, it hangs about half way down over the door at the front.. we only pull it over the crate at night, the rest of the time it's pushed back.. it seems to be like a signal that its night time.. it's also nice and dark and safe for them..

Hope some of that helped..

Good luck

Allie xxx
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that ............. it does help knowing how other people have done it.

Ria seems to be better going in it at night, through the day she whines alot, so just need to fine other treats for her, or give her treats to go in it.

Will keep trying, till I have a happy puppy.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All above tips above are good. Another one is...don't give into the whine. They soon learn to bark to get out even when they don't need a pee.

My rule of thumb with our pup who's just over 4 months is if he's been quiet for as long as he can hold it for his age and starts barking he needs a pee. Otherwise, he's at it and gets ignored and does quieten down.

I can't say as either of mine loved the crate and never go in it of their own accord. The older one isn't in a crate now, but he was exactly the same as the pup. Walked towards it like a condemned man and I used to feel awful. But it did him no harm - as long as they get plenty of exercise when they're not in the crate, they soon learn crate means sleep.

You can't correct what you can't see. I have no qualms with the wee one, but it did take time to get used to it with the first one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: