Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Washing the Dog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Washing the Dog Reply with quote

Any suggestions on how to help Ria overcome a fear of getting a wash/bath she totally stresses out, scratching to get away, we've managed in the past but it seems to have escalated a bit and she is in need of a wash.
What else can I try? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Question
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to convince her that getting washed is a good thing......second I would avoid bathing her too often as shampoos can strip vital oils from a dogs coat.

if you wash her in the bath call her to the bathroom door and give her a treat...continue until she comes without any stress.then move into the bathroom and continue to call her and treat her....then call her and put your hand on her and treat.....then pick her up and treat....then put her in the bath, treat and lift her out....

This works with most fear issues that dogs develop......you take it very slowly , build their trust and confidence......eventually she will enjoy going for a bath because she will associate it with treats.

hope that made sense?

hear is youtube video of this principle being used for nail clipping.....I don't use a clicker but simply mark the behavior I want by saying 'yes' then treating.

Link

John
steve young
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't much help but, here's a cute video of Mylo having his second bath when he was 15 weeks old:Click here

I gave him a bath yesterday but now he's more than twice the size so things are a little more tricky. Lots of towels!

He loves water and would have a bath every day if we let him, but as John said, best not too often. Often find him sitting in an empty bath:)

He even loves getting blow dried afterwards, but yesterday I had to abandon that because his fur was flying everywhere!

In contrast, Sasha HATES water, but tolerates bath time.

Try and be conscious of how you're feeling at the time, because if you're anxious about bathing her then she'll pick up on it. We try and make bath time fun so they enjoy it. Stay calm, relaxed and purposeful.

Good luck.
Pictures Videos
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant video of Mylo having a bath, totally not like Ria. I will start again, with the treats and see how things go. That video would be my goal.

I think after seeing how stressed Ria gets it does make me stressed at the thought of giving her a wash.

Hope its not too long till I can put Ria's video up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: