Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Brown backs the Mirror's campaign to tackle danger dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Brown backs the Mirror's campaign to tackle danger dogs Reply with quote

found this on another forum
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/12/15/brown-mirror-s-dog-fight-is-right-115875-21898401/

Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Dog Law Reply with quote

Its about time the courts and police were given more chances to stop the idiots out there that breed these dogs just to make some money. Not caring about the dog s what so ever.
What would help is advertising some basic requirements by responsible owners.
A lot of people I see don't even know that it is under the "control of dog act 1992" the dog must have a collar with a tag with the owners details.
There is no excuse for ignorance. Bringing in a law that every dog must be chipped wont work. Simply because the idiots that want to make money from breeding these dogs don't care about the dogs or publics welfare.
Its not the breed of dog that is the problem, its the line of the dog and how it is brought up, even as a puppy that can seal its fate.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A collar and id tag are not a legal requirement if the dog is microchipped.

Bad selective breeding can and does significantly influence a dogs behavior as it grows.

John
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the control of dog act 1992.

Other laws can be found on the KC website.
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other dog acts that owners can be prosecuted by.

Click onto the heading to get the full law literature.
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Bad selective breeding can and does significantly influence a dogs behavior as it grows.

John

same could be said for some of the owners of these dogs
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross/Ali wrote:
John Thomson wrote:

John

same could be said for some of the owners of these dogs

TOTALLY agree with you Ross. Even some of the most poorly bred dogs can become wonderful companions if placed in the right hands. I know some personally, Rescues that had behaviours others deemed unworkeable. Some are not suitable to be around other animals yet ALL are fantastic with humans - ALL have been successfully rehabbed by loving and committed owners and care is taken when out in public to ensure other animals remain safe too.

ANY dog is capable of becoming dangerous if poorly/badly led, irrespective of breed and irrespective of the gene pool it came from.

As usual MAN is to blame and yet what does he do? Punishes the dogs further that he has already failed? Makes me sick.

This needs to change - we need a Dangerous OWNERS Act NOT a "Dangerous Dogs" Act!!!!
Gaelle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up in the area where we spent all summer and autumn, there is a dog known to have attacked several other local dogs, one of whom was seriously injured. He also attacked Cuthbert for no reason at all though luckily no harm was done but Cuthbert was quite scared of other dogs for a while. Anyway the point I am trying to make is, this dog is from a reputable local breeder who is horrified by the whole thing. The concensus of local opinion seems to be that he is a strong willed dominant dog who requires strong leadership but has been allowed to get away with bad behaviour since puppyhood (he is now 2 years old and neutered) and his owner blames every other dog just for being there and totally denies that her dog has a problem. People there are understandably frightened for their own dogs and avoid them whenever possible and while they want the situation sorted out they are unwilling to involve the police in case the dog is put to sleep. They would like the owner warned and re educated and be officially required to go to and continue to go to training/behavioural therapy. It was thought that the dog warden might be able to intervene but apparently this is not part of their job. It is a tragedy waiting to happen. He is a lovely GSD . It seems another case of irresponsible ownership.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Gaelle & glad Cubby escaped relatively unscathed.

Sorry but if I were in that area I WOULD involve the Police - if that dog harmed one of mine I'd be up on either animal cruelty (for lashing out in defence of my own) or else assault for giving her a damned good hiding for failing to take appropriate care with her dog. Accidents happen - dogs occassionally fight I accept that but when it is an ongoing issue with any and every dog they encounter I'm sorry but it needs sorting. I would HATE for the dog to pay the ultimate price for her blinkered idiocy but something needs to be done and quick. Is there noone she respects and would listen to that could speak with her in the first instance? I'd give that a shot first and if that fails then sorry but it would have to be the Police - what if a child gets in the way next time the dog flips out? Doesn't bear thinking about. Evil or Very Mad Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: