Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
I'm a dad!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve young
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: I'm a dad! Reply with quote

Well folks, I think it’s time I updated you all! The last few days have been a blur and this is the first chance I’ve actually had to sit down and open the laptop.

Samantha and I are now the proud parents of Olivia and Stella! They were both born in the wee hours of Tuesday the 22nd. Olivia about 3am and Stella about 4:30am, 7lbs and 6lbs respectively (so lighter than we were led to believe). I’d love to say things were straight forward, but unfortunately this wasn’t plain sailing for poor Sam.

We were due in hospital on Sunday at 2pm when Sam would be induced and go into labour in Monday when the twins would be born. Unfortunately on the Saturday a sensor failed on my car while we were out shopping rendering the suspension useless and a call to the assistance people and a lengthy and stressful process ensued. To cut this long story short I got the car fixed by Sunday lunchtime and we were able to get to the hospital, but Sam was a bit stressed to say the least and the roads were an absolute nightmare. (I’ll tell the full car story to anyone who’s interested over a pint).

It turned out that Sam had actually started to dilate and we didn’t need any drugs on Sunday. So Sam settled in to a sleepless night while I shot off to collect Sam’s sister from the airport.

Monday began at 9am in the labour room, the waters were broken and we started the waiting game. Hour after hour passed and things seemed very civilised and not at all what we expected. This all changed at about 10 pm when Sam was fully dilated and it all kicked off!

After a few hours of pushing the decision was taken to assist Sam with twin 1 using forceps. She was exhausted, she’s only 5’1” mind, but made of steel! As a dad you feel completely helpless, seeing your wife in so much pain is hard to take and there’s nothing you can do but offer words of encouragement and a hand to squeeze.

Up until this point we only had one midwife with us, now the room was filled with another 8 people or so. Things were getting serious.

The first doctor had trouble with the forceps and had to call a consultant who took over. A few more hard pushes later and Olivia was born, instantly brought up to see mum and dad then whisked away to the resuscitation table. Nothing quite prepares you for the birth of your child. Seeing your baby being brought into the world is undoubtedly the most amazing experience of your life. Emotions are all over the place. Joy and happiness mixed with fear as this is a dangerous process and things do go wrong. You just have no idea until it happens to you.

A few anxious moments ensued. I could see Olivia being tended to by 2 staff and Sam was looking terribly pale. She still had another child to deliver! Olivia started to make some noises and she was soon in my arms while Sam was being scanned to asses the situation of twin 2. Seeing you babies eyes open for the first time looking up at you, hands curling round you finger, lips pursing and little noises coming from her mouth is something I hope i never forget.

Another decision was taken to try and deliver twin 2 naturally but in the safer environment of the surgical theatre. So, I handed Olivia to auntie and I followed as Sam was wheeled off. A quick change of clothes into blue overalls and I was waiting outside the theatre until they were ready.

15 minutes later and I was sitting beside Sam and an army of medial staff. They had burst the 2nd placenta but the baby was so tired from the long labour and birth of her sister that she was starting to get distressed and her heartbeat was falling fast.

The best option now was for an emergency section. This was a terrifying situation, trying figure out the situation in my own head and trying to reassure Sam at the same time. All through this process and the first delivery Sam was being sick, poor girl, she was in agony as the full spinal block hadn’t taken effect fully either.

I saw Stella being delivered shortly after and rushed over to the resuscitation table. She still had some fluid on her lungs and had to be taken to the Neo Natal unit’s intensive care room after briefly being shown to mum and dad. Now the process began to put Sam back together again. Sam was now drifting in and out, still in a lot of pain. We waited until the pain was controlled before the surgeon finished. I was then given the opportunity to ask questions, which I did, of course (being me).

I had to leave Sam and go back to the ward where I found Olivia again and marvelled at her tiny features and amazingly soft skin. The time was now about 5:30am and I was starting to fold.

Sam came back on the ward and within minutes was breast feeding Olivia with the aid of a nurse (although she can’t remember this) while I went off to see Stella, who looked quite comfortable in the clear plastic incubator, just had some breathing irregularities.

I went home about 7am, took the dogs for a good walk and collapsed in bed. Had about 2 hours sleep and I was back up and went back to the hospital for noon. Sam was looking much better, although she still hadn’t slept a wink. It wasn’t until last night about 11:30pm that Sam and Olivia were reunited with Stella and now I’m just waiting to go back to see them all together. They both seem very quiet and content little babies, but they are only a day old! I changed Olivia’s nappy last night and took to it like a duck to water, determined to be a ‘hands on’ dad.

We won’t be out of hospital until Christmas day (we hope), but Christmas can take a back seat this year I think. Incidentally, the hospital staff have been amazing.

After coming out of surgery Sam said she would never go through this again and that was that. However, when I went back down yesterday she had changed her mind. A few hours spent with Olivia and everything seemed worth it. Think we’ll wait a wee while though:)

Sam lost a lot of blood and is having a blood transfusion at the moment and is starting to feel better. She certainly got the full maternity experience!

Have to say, I have a new found respect for any woman who has given birth, no matter how difficult or straight forward their experience. Sam was just incredible and we’re all very proud of her.

Merry Christmas everybody!

(hope to be back at training at the end of january)
Pictures Videos
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my what an ordeal, give our love to Sam, Stella and Olivia.

congratulations on your new additions to your family. that certainly is a fab Christmas present.

Janis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS DADDY!!!!.....WELL DONE SAM .....AND WELCOME TO THE WORLD STELLA AND OLIVIA

I AM SO GLAD IT IS ALL OVER AND ALL IS WELL.....

THE BABIES WERE A FAB WEIGHT AND I BET THEY ARE LITTLE STUNNERS!....POP UP PHOTOS WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE!

MY LOVE TO YOU ALL!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to you and Samantha.

What a lovely Christmas pressie.......hope you guys manage to get home soon.

All the best.

John
Jim & Geraldine
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the birth of your lovely girls. Welcome to the world girls.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to you both, well done Sam...poor soul certainly did get the 'full maternity experience'! Hope its not too long before you get all your girls home, take care

Lisa
Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.. congratualtions
Trace
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, and well done Sam.

What a fantastic Xmas present for you.

Wish all of you well and look forward to seeing the photos.

Take Care

Trace
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I'll be the first to say it - I cried reading that!

What a beautiful post Steve - you HAVE to show this to Sam Smile

HUGEST Congratulations to you all - so happy for you - may your lives be filled with love, laughter, happiness & health.

Take care and Happy First Family Christmas. XxXxXXxXxXxX
Louise13
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
OK - I'll be the first to say it - I cried reading that!

What a beautiful post Steve - you HAVE to show this to Sam Smile

And I will be the 2nd to say it...

And I agree you HAVE to show this to the new mummy...

Congratulations & Welcome to the world little girls
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, and well done Sam.

What a fantastic Xmas present for you.

look forward to seeing the pics Very Happy
Lorna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Steve and Sam. Welcome to the world Olivia and Stella.
You must save your post and show it to your girls when they are older, as well as Sam.
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww congratulations Sam, Steve and what gorgeous names, I love the name olivia and Stella unusual and lovely too

cant wait to see pics, so glad Sam is doing better now and the girls are fine and healthy Smile
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Good to hear everyone is doing well.
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations what great news and your post was lovely I agree you have too keep it. Lovely names can't wait to see the pics Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: