Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Raw food info needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Raw food info needed Reply with quote

We have never done anything like a raw food diet but were interested in it and wonder if anyone can tell us some info on the diet and the cost etc? we have heard it is a better diet but have never looked into it.

would be grateful for some info and help

thanks

Craig
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt mind finding out about it myself. Although Muffy might be too old now to try switch her diet...?
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well guys we switched a good while ago and my dogs are great on it and it works out much cheaper as i have three.

another benefit is there is less poo....hard to believe but yes it is much less and not as smelly ......also less hyper dogs and less itching so all in all i wouldn't change now for anything.

when we got echo my youngest i switched her to raw from day one at 8 weeks............she loved it and i forgot to defrost some a few days later and offered her a puppy sachet that the breeder had supplied ............she looked at it sniffed and looked at me....no chance!

the only draw back is it can be smelly and a bit messy and you need a decent size of freezer as if you get it from john you have to buy a month in advance!

i certainly recommend it.

this is who we get it from and john kindly enoughs collects for a good few of us each month!

http://www.landywoods.co.uk/

it varies from month to month but roughly i am about £20 per month for my three......they get about half a pound of meat a nigt and it comes in pound bags.
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if john has opened up the raw feeding section for you but when he dose their is loads of info on there.

kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would second what Janis said. takes a bit of organisation, especially if you have two large dogs (I have two GSDs) but it does work out as cheap or cheaper than traditional dog food. my dog had serious itching issues and I have been raw feeding fore three years now. GSDs can be prone to delicate tummys and my two have no tummy problems at all now they are on raw. the itching has also stopped. There teeth are spectacular for dogs their age too as I include raw chicken carcus and bones in the diet. But best of all is the empty chow bowls. plenty of info on the raw feeding section....have a go if you can.
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffins not got strong teeth. She has had the same raw hide bone for almost 3 years now! I know you've been giving her small amounts Janis, but what does the diet involve and would it b difficult with her teeth? Sometimes shes fine other times ill notice they're bleeding even with soft toys etc?

Thanks Smile
Louise13
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to order for the 12th Feb...I can still squeeze the order in..but would really need it by 12 noon tomorrow Wink
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious about this for the bold Fred dog. How easy is it to change over?

What do you use? had a look on the landywoods site and there were so many different types I know nothing of what type of food let alone how much.

HELP.

Confused
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

we have recently changed meg and bella to a raw food diet, to change them over i started by buying asda smart price mince, we gave them small amounts with there dry mix just to make sure that it agreed with them, once i knew it agreed with them both i gave them raw mince for there dinner and later in the week i gave them a raw chicken wing for dinner. now they are on complete raw, i get a mixed tray of raw food from john. i could bring a frozen bag of raw with me on Thursday that you could try giving Fred if you like.

let me know if you are interested.

Alan, Lynsey, Meg, Peanut and new arrival Bella
Ian Paterson
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I'll get the smart price mince first and gradually mix it through and see how we go from there.

Knowing how Fred is and his varied diet he should be ok, the only thing he couldn't digest was a sock he managed to snaffle. re-appeared next day rather slimey but it re-appered. Cool
Louise13
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most dogs are fine with a complete switch...
In fact I would say the dogs that are switched straight over get on better..easier to digest etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: