Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dominant Dog Collar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Dominant Dog Collar Reply with quote

found this on another forum. its very similar to the Ellusion collar idea, from CM but with out all the harness bit to hold it up.
Leerburg | Dominant Dog Collar

the video talks a bit about the prong, but i cant say ive experienced any of what he says with my girls.

just thought it was interesting to watch.

Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Dog collars Reply with quote

I'm glad you have put this video on the site. I'm not going to go into my opinions, as we have covered this all before. But if anyone has itunes, there are loads of podcasts there from leerburg which is very interesting.

There are loads of collars out there and you just have to get the type that works well for different breeds and even how dominant the dog is. A soft dog cant be treated with harsh methods. A slip lead and also a proper fitting half check collar does the same as the dominant dog collar as you take control of the head and not allow the collar to slip down to chest level.

Any collar used harshly can damage the bond between the handler and dog.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace who owns Dexter the Doberman uses a Leerburg dominant dog collar.......it is a nylon 'slip collar', extremely well made and clearly aimed at strong dogs........it has a narrower diameter that a normal slip collar or lease.

as always you you should use the collar that is appropriate for you to maintain proper control of your dog at all times.....for the safety of your dog, other dogs and of course humans.

john
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read my reply and didn't sound quite right.

What I meant was that I do like the dominant dog collar, but not a prong collar. But once again not wanting to open that can of worms.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dominant dog collar is a 'full check' collar......which means it can continue tightening until the dog can no longer breathe Confused

john
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry ...... i wouldn't entertain this for for any dog of mine. i am a firm fan of the prong and use it properly and have happy healthy dogs......in fact i only have to pick it up and my three get excited sitting in front of me to have it put on.

my only wish is i had known of it some 20 odd years ago.....i then used the choke chain which didn't have the same effect and tore out some fur which i didn't like!

not for me!
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry but this looks more barbaric than a prong, i think you could easily hurt a dog seriously with this collar.

i agree with janis and my dogs are the same as her three, i pick up there collars and they know its time to go out, that is not a sign of a torcher device.

i would never use one of these and i think it looks like a noose.

Alan.
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan and Lynsey wrote:
Im sorry but this looks more barbaric than a prong, i think you could easily hurt a dog seriously with this collar.

i agree with janis and my dogs are the same as her three, i pick up there collars and they know its time to go out, that is not a sign of a torcher device.

i would never use one of these and i think it looks like a noose.

Alan.

that's a good description alan......not nice.....and i never want to stop my dogs from breathing !
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually keep my opinions on prong collars reserved as i know they work for the majority of people in the club and it is not for me to say how people train their dog. Whatever works for them. Personally I don't agree with prong collars, however i would pick up a prong collar in an instant rather than the "dominant dog collar". The whole sale video looks awful! I feel even Muffys half check is tightening too much never mind a full check.
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the collars that are on the market, are there for personal preference.

Flat collars, Half check, full check, prong, gentle leader, halti, anti pull harness just to name but a few.

At the end of the day these are all just management of a problem. Stopping the dog from pulling. The collar and lead are there just to stop the dog from running away. What really has to be done is getting the dog trained not to pull. There are loads of different methods that can be used.

If the dogs that stop pulling just because of the collar it is wearing, is not trained to not pull.

For those who think I am very anti prong collar. I am not. I would consider using it on a dog that lunged at other dogs or people, and it was there as a deterrent. But that is it. Luckily I haven't needed to get to that stage.

Anyone considering using one, have a look at other sites and forums to get more opinions.
Louise13
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like prong collars, or dominant dog collars or illusion collars..

I have two very large very powerful dogs..who are walked on flat webbing semi slip collars..(they also wear them when running) and if I need more control (market place, high st etc) they have dogmatics on..I can walk both in one hand..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Grace who owns Dexter the Doberman uses a Leerburg dominant dog collar.......it is a nylon 'slip collar', extremely well made and clearly aimed at strong dogs........it has a narrower diameter that a normal slip collar or lease.

john

Just thought i would mention that i use a prong collar on Dexter, the lead is also clipped to the DD collar just in case the prong collar comes undone, then I still have dexter attached to the lead by the DD collar, it is a bigger size than normally required and used because it is very thin and lightweight. It would never be used as a DD collar on Dexter as i mentioned before in another post.

The DD collar is not designed for dogs that pull, it is only for dogs that are handler aggresive and if corrected will come up the lead and bite the handler. And It should only be used by handlers that are very experienced and know what they are doing.

PS Dexter is only trained by marker training and any corrections in training are by a negative marker "no"
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all agree that in a pack of dogs the one that walks in front is the dominant dog.

So with that fact, why would a dog that "pulls" it's owner while out for a walk not feel like its the dominant one. The dog can only pull when there is something to pull against. You!

The method I use to teach people that have dogs that pull is very easy and now special leads and collars are required.

Try this. You first need to take the dog on a walk that has a fence, wall or buildings to walk beside. You must have the dog between the wall and you. Start the dog in the sit position, walk one pace in front of them. Tap your lag next to the dog and walk. This is inviting him into your space. This next bit is the important bit. When the dog tries to walk past you, lean him into the wall, just enough pressure to stop him getting past. Keep the pressure on until he pulls back (and he will). Say "back" when he does, then walk forward again. Repeat this until he stops trying to get past. Most dogs stop trying to get past after just a few minutes.

This is now putting you in the dominant position. This walk has to keep being repeated until it becomes natural that the dog stops to pull.

I hope this helps.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try and push a genuinely dominant dog into a fence......you will get bitten......a dogs natural reaction is fight or flight......pin them to a wall and they have no option but to fight.

Just my opinion.

john
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a dominant aggressive dog, then yes I agree you may have a problem. But most people don't. I still have to find a dog that it wont work on. You are just blocking them, not forcing them.
It all depends on the owner also. If a timid person, then they should have a dominant dog in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: