Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Alfie's definitely entering his teenage years!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Alfie's definitely entering his teenage years!! Reply with quote

Ugh..... Alfie's definitely going thru a stubborn stage! He's still walking well enough on the lead but off lead even in the garden now he just won't come when I call him. He does if he's playing around but as soon as something distracts him, like chewing grass/leaves/dirt etc he just goes deaf and blanks me!! All training def going backwards!!!

He's playing up in the house as well and going back to stealing slippers and shoes and running away with them! Just as well I love him! He's driving me nuts! At least we've made some progress at getting him not to run at every person he sees on a walk, still turns into a maddy when he sees a dog tho, I'm glad he's a wee skinny thing, at least I can keep hold of him!

I swear he was better at his training a month or so ago! He's going back the way!
alice and susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lesley

Don't say that about going backwards !!!! Madam Tia has already started to get her voice and opinion

Alice and Susan

lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha. She's a gorgeous looking little dog. Loved the photos. Look forward to seeing her in classes soon.

Alfie's currently just pushed his way in and is lying between my legs. I swear he's like a shadow in the house. I can't move for him and he has to sit right next to me! Wish he was the same when he was outside, would make life easier!
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millie is the same...stroppy teenager! Could have strangled her this morning. Everything was more interesting than coming back to me. Then when she eventually came back I had to be nice to her and praise her...GRRRR!

Lisa
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd ask for a little advice. Alfie's doing not too bad but as soon as we address one bad habit he picks up 2 new ones.....and u know I expect him to be perfect.....

Well last couple wks, he's been picking up everything on walks....leaves, sticks, stones, pine cones (picked up a stick few days ago, one end hit the ground and the other went straight down his throat and cut along his soft palate....fun). Just bn saying leave/distracting him/pullin him away. He's now doing bit better with that but now every time he lags behind or goes to pick things up, I'll pull him along and he's turning round and biting his lead, jumping around and trying to play tuggy with lead, jumping up and biting at bottom of my jacket or sleeves. Tried him off lead and was still jumping up at me. I think he's just trying to play and overexcited when he's doing this but he starts to get bit stupid.

The rest of the time he's walking lovely, not pulling, walking same pace as me but I'm just looking for any useful tips to nip this in the bud. I've tried standing still and ignoring him, pullin the lead thru his mouth to try to deter him, tried to distract him, said leave. Like all his other habits I'm sure he'll grow out of it in a week but just looking for any tips??

Ta
Margaret

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird Lesley. Lucy has been exactly the same this last week (apart from walking nicely to heel lol).
She tries to pick up all sorts of rubbish and as soon as she feels I'm restricting her she goes mad mouthing the lead or growling and trying to bite my shoes etc. I don't have any advice as such, but if she's not listening to me I immediately end the walk and don't give her any attention for a while at home. Problem of course is if she is off lead at the time - I first have to catch her!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is turning into a Staffy support thread Laughing

john
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My young man is coming up for 1 and he's been a remarkably good boy. A total breeze. It does help having an older dog as an enforcer though and a bit more experience and a set routine for our older dog that he slotted nicely into.

Keep them tired - that's the key!
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh ha ha. He is always better when he's had plenty walks. I just can't do too much with him cos of his leg. In the house he is great. His only down point is his recall, other than that he is a dream dog and I love him to bits but I think I have sl over the top expectations for him, I expect him to be able to do everything yesterday!!

He was doing better off lead but yesterday he ran off up steep muddy hill towards Cumbernauld field to follow a couple out walking. Quickly I realised he wasn't for coming back to me so I had to scramble up the hill so I was practically needing my inhaler by the top an found him toddling after the couple heading for kildrum. He then saw me and came back at least but for now, apart from in he wee field near home which is enclosed he's back to long lead!! Ha ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: