Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Hi everyone, looking for a bit of help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Hi everyone, looking for a bit of help Reply with quote

Hi all,

not seen anyone for a while. not been able to get to class recently with a few things we have had to sort recently.

were hoping to get back to it soon though Smile

anyway were looking for a little help with Maxxy, who got neutered a week ago.
but there are a couple of things.

Does anyone have any suggestions with toilet training?

hes ok but still has a habbit of not really tellng us he needs we will just go and do the toilet somewhere, he does it all the time when we have him out but still seems to do it a few times in the house? we have tried a couple of things with him but wondering if anyone had a good suggestion?

the second things is he has a bad habbit of trying to get into all bins and bags and even trying to steal stuff off the work top, any suggestions?

any ideas are much appreciated

thanks

Craig
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey glad you are all well.

the toilet training i would say go back to basics, taking him our more often even every hour if you have to.

the worktops i would say put him on a lead and put some stuff he would really like to eat on the worktop wen he goes for it correct him. if he sits nice and ignores them give him a treat. also say something or make a noise, that way you can eventually do it without the lead and maybe leave the room and still correct him if he tries to get the food.

the bins i would say try the same thing.

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse trap usually work on worktops Laughing

Toilet training I would follow Kendals advice

john
Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

will give things a try

whats the mouse trap? is that using a proper mouse trap?

thanks
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a water skoosher (ie what you used to spray plants) and turned the nozzle to jet. I didn't let them see it was me doing it. But they don't like it.

I just don't leave tempting things in their way especially when you can't correct. My older dog won't touch the bin - the younger one would be right in there. So I never put, for example, chicken bones in there, I just put them straight in the outside bin. They both know fine well not to do it, but would have a pound of bacon away if I left it there. And have!

Toilet training - our older dog was a breeze, younger one took a lot longer. Make sure you're using proper cleaning stuff to clean up any accidents on a carpet to get rid of the smell. I always used Bob martins stuff from Tesco. May also be worth a check to see if he has a urine infection - we had a terrible time with Rudy, but turns out he was just a bit prone to getting urine infections. He's fine now. Take a wee sample in a clean jar up to the vet if you think he's peeing a lot eg every half hour/hour.

Do you have him in a crate? this helps as they don't like to pee their beds - and if they do pee the bed, take out the bed and let him sleep on the plastic. We also limited the space for a while so he couldn't just pee at the other end.

But just back to basics - much praise when they do it outside and say pee pee when they do it - that gets the command in. Ignore when they do it inside and you didn't spot it. If you catch mid-pee, try to stop them with an uh uh and run to the door. Ours used to stop and follow...then as above say pee pee and praise.

And you can train them to do it on command - we use pee pee before bed, before we go out, etc. They get it in in the end. Some just take longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: