Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Puppy biting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Puppy biting Reply with quote

I don't think this is a new topic really, as I see others have spoken of the same problem. Teddy, our 4 month old cockapoo has his 'crazy' time, usually in the evening, but not always, when he bites anything that comes near him. I have heard of the technique where you just stand still with arms folded, and ignore him. I think my point is that it is quite hard to do that with a puppy hanging from your kneecap, Smile .
What else can I try? I tell him all the time 'no bite' and I exclude him from the room for a while, but he just doesn't seem to get the message at all. Any more suggestions? As a very raw recruit to puppy-rearing any advice would be useful.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppy biting it difficult.......remember this is how litter mates sort out who is boss.........if you push them away it becomes a game......shouting becomes a game......best answer seems to be to let out a yelp as if you were a hurt puppy then simply ignore the offending puppy.......

sometimes easier said than done Laughing

john
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to give alfie a wee skoosh from a water spray along with a loud no or yelp and seemed to snap him out of it. i then either put him out room or ignored him. took a lot of persevering tho!!!!
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. I will persevere with the suggestions. I haven't the heart to try the water skoosh yet - but it is probably coming if all else fails!
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember he is hurting you with his teeth, a wee bit of watter isn't going to hurt him, it will just make him think what on earth was that.

Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to hog the thread, but I've tried the skoosh thing with my 15 week Bernese, however I think I'd need a water cannon when he's in the zone. he gave my husband a real time of it last night when i was out. i think the problem started when my husband ran from the kitchen to the utility. he gave chase and then started the onslaught. i know he's not an aggressive dog but he's really big 35lbs already so can give quite the bite.

Frankie
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm ...... if he is biting and holding try taking the flap of his lip and pressing it inot one of his own jaggy teeth and he will soon find it not nice and let go. otherwise i would let out a real yell and turn my back on him. admittedly your hubby taking off makes huey think this is a game! but if you can nip this in the bud now it will make for a happier dog later as well as a happy owner......and no your not hogging the thread.....that's where the forum is good......for advice tips and support! Wink
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to laugh picturing the scene between Huey and your hubby, although I know it is a problem situation. Our dog is just a wee 4 kg thing, but I can imagine how it would be with a big 35 pounder - not much fun. Standing still worked briefly yesterday for me although it was all I could do not to let out some expletives as he was hanging on to my backside at the time. The complete silence and stillness did seem to confuse him eventually, although it did take more time than was comfortable, given the circumstances Smile I am going to keep doing that for a while, with the initial yelp and then ignoring him. A lot of people have said that will work given time. (Thats if I can stand the pain!) Failing that, the water cannon is beginning to hold some appeal!
Good luck with Huey!
Teresa
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

we had a similar problem with meg our cocker spaniel, the good thing was meg is a lot lot smaller than your big boy. i personally think there is a few thing that need to be put in place.
1.pack order - he is a dog not a person. his place is on the floor not on the bed or sofa. (personal opinion) Once order is in place then you might choose to let the dog up.
2.I found a strong NO worked with meg, i have a deep voice and i think it resembled a bark/growl. she did not like that.
3.I was able to pin meg due to her size which helped. go luck with that.

i found a yelp would sometimes make meg more excitable like we were playing a game.

as i said just my thoughts but i would work on pack order and make sure you are the boss, if you say NO it means NO.
Alan
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha I know, I was laughing too (inside) but my husbands face told another story. This is the first time it's happened to him. It's happened to me a few times now because i spend the most time with him. it's quite scary at the time he's huge! I have visions of a 55KG adult dog dragging me about the garden Razz . The last time i had to grab him by the scruff to stop him and put him in his crate which i don't like doing. You know he's playing because as soon as I did that he was like Sad what happened? I was having fun. so frustrating!

the laugh was i was telling my husband what a great boy he'd been all day and he was so affectionate.

I think I jinxed him Laughing

Frankie
TC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had similar mouthing problems with Spyke and puppy's teeth can be so sharp, like needles so I understand precisely what you're going through. He'll grow out of it. He didn't bite me maybe because i'm well over 6ft, ignored him and very firm with him. But my poor other half got the brunt of it. He has vastly improved when he hit 5 months old. Use diversions if you can, toss a toy, give him an ice cube or a a part of a frozen banana but be careful it's not seen as a reward. He'll be teething and it's a puppy thing that they grow out of soon so hopefully you'll only have a few weeks of it left. Trust me, it will get better. Smile
Hope this helps
Colin.
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Teddy reached 5 months the other day I think it is lessening a bit with the adults in the house. My granddaughter is a prime target though, but she does get excitable when playing with him and he revs up too! We are trying to train HER as much as Teddy!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. We live in hope of having more puncture free days to come Smile
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Huey is getting much better also, although when visitors come into the house he's like a coiled spring , so i usually end up bleeding!

We have to issue ground rules when people come into the house. No talk, no touch, no eye contact till he sits his butt on the floor. Seems to be working until anyone sits down and then its a free for all.

When it's just me and Ross he only tries to have a little chew when he's excited. usually first thing in the morning and whenever we come in after leaving him. A vast improvement.

He's still bonkers and tries EVERY night to get up on the couch and we all know how he is with the worktops Mad but he's still a baby.

maybe the end is in sight!

Frankie
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing And a gorgeous baby at that. What a lovely face. I think we will just have to accept that they are going to go through the phases - and keep our bare bits covered up as much as possible!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: