Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Baldy Paws !!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GRAHAM BOYD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Baldy Paws !!!! Reply with quote

Hey Guys was looking for a bit of advice

Little Diesel seems to be havin a naw at his two front paws and is going a bit bald

Took him to our vet who without really asking any questions or taking a good look at his paws is wanting to put him to sleep and take skin samples ( WITH A SCALPEL ) i thought this was a bit extreme he is only 17 weeks old.

Has anybody encountered this problem before , Could it be a food allergy ??

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Graham And Baldy Paws Diesel lol
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds very extreme from the vet? Is he familiar with the breed?

Skin problems can often be food related..........what is Diesel being fed? are there any folds of skin there?
His breed means that the folds of his skin will require to be kept very clean as he grows.

Could also be caused by weedkiller/fertiliser or the like.

The problem with something like this is that it becomes a habit for him.

john
GRAHAM BOYD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

yeah no folds of skin on his paws and i am keeping all clean on daily basis

i was feeding on wet puppy food

but have since changed to dry this week to see if there is any change

he isnt chewing just as much but enough for me to be a tad concerned.
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Id say it sounds bit extreme too. I tend to find the vet will try the try this that and wait and see approach before anything like that. How is the skin where he is gnawing? Inflamed red flaking anything? I have a skin relevant shampoo thingy (very technical) I was prescribed for Muffy, didnt work for her but i dont think hers is a skin problem but could be worth a shot? We also changed her feeding to raw to make sure its not allergies, has died down a little since but I wouldnt put it down to this either as i dont think Muffys is allergies now either!

I have this problem with Muffin have no idea what started it but now she has staining all over her paw and a split nail. Cant tell if shes liking because of the split nail or if the split nail is because of her gnawing. Viscous circle.. It has become a little like OCD for her we just correct her every time we catch her.
GRAHAM BOYD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laura

were he is nawing the skin looks very clean no scabbing or redness unless he has just had a go at it it was flaky at when he first started doing it (was like exseema) thats the only way i can describe lasted maybe 48 hrs and has looked spotless ever since

i think i may give the shampoo a try anything is worth a shot

i have also been correcting if caught but he just looks at me as if to say im havin fun leave me alone lol
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course its never best to ignore vets advice, I would take him to another vet for a second opinion, but I think you could manage it yourself if im honest. If of course there was no signs of improvement it would be a different story. Ill look up tonight what muffin was prescribed and read it thoroughly. Ill try bring some in a wee bottle if it suits (i still use it sometimes if she is very bad just as a precaution)

Muffin is the same she just looks at you when we correct her which is why i dont think the cuse of her gnawing/licking is serious.
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Baldy Paws !!!! Reply with quote

GRAHAM BOYD wrote:
Took him to our vet who without really asking any questions or taking a good look at his paws is wanting to put him to sleep and take skin samples ( WITH A SCALPEL ) i thought this was a bit extreme he is only 17 weeks old.

Hi Graham,

I would double check with your vet but if I am correct then what he/she is meaning is doing a skin scraping
Quote:
A skin scraping is performed by collecting a sample of skin cells with the use of a scalpel blade. The blade is used to gently scrape layers of the skin
(quoted from http://www.petplace.com/dogs/skin-scraping/page1.aspx found using google under 'skin scraping dog')

Some vets prefer to do it with the animal under sedation or anesthesia and others don't. Most sites I have looked at say the animal doesn't need to be put under. But that will just vary from vet to vet I believe. It is according to the above site(and a couple of others) more likely to cause discomfort rather than pain.

I would give your vet a call to check what they meant when they said about the scalpel and being put under, and discuss any issues/fears you have about it with them.

My rottie has skin problems(believe its eczema or something along those lines) sometimes it just appears and other times it happens if he gets wet and we don't dry him properly (always been on the top of his head and/or his neck) which results in 2/3 weeks of antibiotics (he hates taking pills now as its happened quite a few times).

If it is a skin scraping the vet is talking about I would probably do it so you can find out what the skin issue is or rule some things out, best to figure it out and deal with it/get it under control when he's younger.
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no tiny orange specks between his toes??? Cos harvest mites are around this time of year an make their feet really itchy. Alfie had some last wk but settled v quickly once treated. Could just be an irritation to something hes come into contact with, but demodex mites can sometimes cause the same thing so maybe why they wanted to do a scrape cos v common in pups, but feet would usually be inflamed. Could see if shampoo helps first tho?? Shar peis can be prone to skin problems tho.

Hope he settles down for u!! I have a dog who just licks his feet through habit cos they're not red or sore. And sometimes he's missing his foot and licking the couchby mistake.....hes not the brightest!!
amandawhitelaw
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have recently got a new choc la and she also is licking until her fur is patchy. i took her to the vet again and he said there was some mites around at this time of year. He also asked if she was on dry food cause if you keep the dry food stored it gets some kind of mite on it also.

It is a nightmare. Yoda had a scraping done with a scalpel when she was really ill with an allergy and they did not give her a GA and i was with her. They did later give her a GA and took a slice of skin from her in which case she needed stitches.

I HOPE HE IS FIT SOON.
alice and susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I have noticed Tia biting at her paws of late, and they are a bit red...??? What did you do for Alfie Lesley when h had this problem ???

Alice

lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfie had harvest mites, could see bright orange specks between his toes. So treated him with spray version of frontline. However he just chews his feet generally anyway. I think it's more of a habit with him. I use fuciderm cream on them if they're looking red or sore but otherwise I leave them be and just try to stop him doing it. Various things people say helps. I've heard using water with baking soda to bathe them helps....but not tried it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: